Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Mags H009B

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Mags H009B

Post by GFK » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:04 pm

Nice setup.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:11 pm

ESquared wrote:That scope looks great on the rifle, too. Assume you're happy with it?
Yes I'm very happy with it. Not having an objective bell on this scope, I was able to leave the buck horn sight in place. Also, there is a battery operated reticle that is normally black when turned off, but when turned on is adjustable brightness red. Nice when the target is dark or in low light. The optics are very clear, have not noticed any imperfections even at the edges.

But I wish I had bought the 8x zoom model. The 6x zoom is ok for staying inside 4 inch groups at 100 yds, but for tighter groups really should have gotten the 8x. Going to take some fine tuning finesse practice and concentration to get tight groups with 6x at 100yds. Something to look forward to working on. Excuse for more shooting :D , ya that's it.

The other thing I should have done differently was not buy the packaged scope/ring mount deal. The ring mount was too high 1.5". Bought a set of rings at 0.97 inches. Much less hold over/under with the lower rings.

Today I didn't put that many bullets down range, so recoil I hadn't even given it a 2nd thought. Time before this one, that recoil added up over the course of the afternoon to a sore spot that made me wince with each of the later shots.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:52 am

I prefer sand bags over a benchrest myself. It makes me feel like I’m actually shooting.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:16 am

Mags wrote:
ESquared wrote:That scope looks great on the rifle, too. Assume you're happy with it?

The other thing I should have done differently was not buy the packaged scope/ring mount deal. The ring mount was too high 1.5". Bought a set of rings at 0.97 inches. Much less hold over/under with the lower rings.
I was wondering what you meant in your first post, where you wrote about "0.97" partial offset" (paraphrasing), that's how little I know about scopes.

I have much to learn if I'm going to get serious about this 30-30/Scope thing...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:51 am

Not 'partial', not a word I used. Here is a clip of what I meant in height.
Ring Height.JPG
Ring Height.JPG (23.42 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
ESquared wrote:... I was wondering what you meant in your first post, where you wrote about "0.97" partial offset" (paraphrasing), that's how little I know about scopes. I have much to learn if I'm going to get serious about this 30-30/Scope thing...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Mags wrote:.
Not 'partial', not a word I used. Here is a clip of what I meant in height.

Ring Height.JPG
ESquared wrote:... I was wondering what you meant in your first post, where you wrote about "0.97" partial offset" (paraphrasing), that's how little I know about scopes. I have much to learn if I'm going to get serious about this 30-30/Scope thing...
Yep, "partial" was my word, don't know where that came from, other than 0.97" registers in my brain as "partial." Is the measurement of 0.97" the distance from "base to ring center" as laid out in your pic? "Offset" from what?

See how far I have to go?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Slugnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Slugnut » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:59 pm

Not to shabby, my friend. Especially for off hand.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Slugnut wrote:Not to shabby, my friend. Especially for off hand.
Thanks. Appreciate positive reinforcement.

Just so there is no confusion, there are 2 different range reports here. The first with the paper targets was off hand. The 2nd report was shooting the metal plate targets using the Vanguard fore-stock rest. The rest helped calm some of my shakyness. I've learned that I probably need to get a rear stock rest/bag to fully stabilize the Henry and me. I can see through the scope that I'm still moving around more than I would like with the stock held to my shoulder.
1 x