Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PT7 -- Pump shotgun barrel test

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

PT7 -- Pump shotgun barrel test

Post by PT7 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:34 pm

I wasn't thinking I'd write up a Range Report today. I went to the MDC Parma Woods outdoor range just to work on a barrel issue I'm having with my new Stevens Pump 320 s/g. But my secondary slug shooting turned out very good, so here I go again.

I've had an excessive build up of lead in the 18-1/2" barrel, just beyond the shotshell length when it is chambered, and where the barrel starts narrowing to carry out the slug or shot. After first two range times, each was a real bear to clean the barrel. Not sure what's happening, so my goal today was to shoot three 10-round groups with both 8-shot ammo and primary focus on slug ammo. After each 10-round group, I pulled off the barrel to visually check it out. Today was quite a bit cleaner, after 30 rounds. So I don't have a good handle yet on where the earlier cleaning issue came from.

Since I was just testing for leading issues, I really didn't concentrate on my accuracy in shooting. But go figure! Off hand shooting of these three groups at 25 yards gave me some good-looking groups and POIs. The more I shot, the more I felt relaxed, and quickly saw I was on a roll. OK, some photos follow.

WEATHER REPORT
Perfect conditions.
Sunny blue sky, temp at 69* with a brisk wind. No never mind on the wind because I was shooting directly into it. It did, however, blow my spent plastic shot shells hither & yon! ;)

AMMO
I didn't photo the game loads. Shot 10 rounds of Rem 8-shot, 7/8 oz. with a 1225 FPS rating. Also done @ 25 yards.
Here are the slug brands.
PW1_barrel test_DSCN2451.jpg
PW1_barrel test_DSCN2451.jpg (195.08 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
TARGETS
Home-made shot-up targets again, both sized 12" x 9-1/2". Just ignore the .22LR POIs in them -- those were from my range time with my Henry SGC last week. Also ignore the 8-shot patterning. Wanted to test some 8-shot loads before I shot the slugs.

Herters Slugs. 9/10 POIs surrounding the orange 1" bull with one outlier right & high. I'm good with these first shots.
PW3_barrel test_DSCN2453.jpg
PW3_barrel test_DSCN2453.jpg (151.1 KiB) Viewed 1254 times

Win SuperX slugs. These 10/10 POIs hugged the bull (according to my definition of "hug" :lol: ). I'm good with this second group, too.
PW4_barrel test_DSCN2454.jpg
PW4_barrel test_DSCN2454.jpg (155.16 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
The Shotgun
A reminder photo.
Left-side view_DSCN2414.jpg
Left-side view_DSCN2414.jpg (249.3 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
That's all, Folks! Trust you will have a great weekend, and that your weather is becoming more & more like springtime!
PT7
4 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: PT7 -- Pump shotgun barrel test

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:31 pm

Great shooting, PT7! It's good to hear that the leading wasn't as bad as before. Thanks for the pics and range report. Always enjoyable.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Nice work, PT. You are deadly with those slugs. :)

A lot of that buildup in the forcing cone area is plastic from the shot wads. That stuff does not clean up much with typical lead solvent. Been a long time since I did much shotgunning, but there might be some solvent, now, that cleans up that plastic residue.
3 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:07 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Nice work, PT. You are deadly with those slugs. :)

A lot of that buildup in the forcing cone area is plastic from the shot wads. That stuff does not clean up much with typical lead solvent. Been a long time since I did much shotgunning, but there might be some solvent, now, that cleans up that plastic residue.
Thanks, NCG. Not sure about "deadly" -- maybe getting more "centered!" :lol:

Being a member of our Henry rifle forum, and loving to shoot my SGC .22LR, it's almost a little hard to post my shotgun range reports here. Maybe when more Henry shotgun reports show up, I'll feel like my slug shooting is more "at home."

It sure is very much fun shooting hunting slugs, especially when I get targets like I shot today. I'll bet if Henry shotgun owners tried sending some slugs down range, they just might get hooked as well. :D

Re. the cleaning solvent. I have quite a selection of different cleaning solvents specifically for shotguns and the "fun" sticky stuff left behind. Thanks to the good help from my friend this past week, he suggested I again try the original solvent I first used to clean firearms. What finally cut through all that s/g barrel residue was Hoppe's No. 9. He said that's what he primarily uses to clean his shotguns, and all of his firearms. Anyway, I used the synthetic blend this time, and will probably get some of the original more "fragrant" stuff next time I need to replenish it. So the Hoppe's No. 9 did a reasonably good job. As an overnight "soak," I have a heavy T-shirt patch oozing with Hoppe's No. 9 sitting in the forcing cone area now. Will tackle the full clean in the morning, and see how it goes this time.

Later....PT7
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:09 pm

"on a roll" indeed .... your barrel seems to be doing exceedingly well on its test .. :D .. of course, it was in the hands of someone who knows how to use it .... that always helps .. ;)
1 x