Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowgirl Corner: DW 715 accuracy testing, today

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Cowgirl Corner: DW 715 accuracy testing, today

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:03 pm

We finally made it to the range on a beautiful spring day, today. I brought too many guns, as usual, but happy to report that all performed well. I'll get around to doing a report on all of them, eventually, but I'll start with the star of the show, today, namely, our recently acquired new Dan Wesson 715 in 357. For details about the gun, see my earlier range report on it.

Today was accuracy testing day for the 715, now that I've been shooting it long enough to get familiar with it. My previous outing hinted at excellent accuracy, so I decided to add a red dot to the 715 to really explore its accuracy potential. Adding a red dot to a DW is not easy. No one makes a no drill mount for DW revolvers, anymore, so what's a girl to do? Well, what she does is take an old Weigand scope mount for Ruger and modify it to fit the DW. Then she adds the excellent Burris Fastfire III. Took some doing, but pretty proud of the way it turned out for an amateur gunsmith like me.

On to testing, shooting from a rest at 25 yards. After getting the red dot adjusted for elevation, shot a quick three shots to test windage. Way to the right, but with three shots touching, thought I would add two more to check group size. After all, this was an accuracy check. And the results (one inch dot) ...
This breaks my record for smallest ever revolver group at 25 yards from a rest. Given that the standard for a match grade accuracy rating in a handgun is 5 shots at one inch or less from a rest at 25 yards, the DW not only supplies that, it deliver serious completion accuracy and it does it with bulk factory 357 ammo, to boot.

Did a quick adjustment for windage, then moved to a standing position to see if I could shoot a group worthy of that kind of accuracy potential without a rest. And the results ...
Another record for my personal best group from a standing position with a conventional handgun.

I was on a roll, so out to 50 yards, right away, same standing position. First three shots were still to the right, so made an adjustment and then followed with five shots in the 4" bull. Didn't quite maintain the same level of accuracy, but anytime I can put 5 shots under 4 " at 50 from a standing position, I'm a happy camper.

Sorry for getting a bit carried away about this gun, but after all my bad luck with new revolvers, I am just so thrilled to have such a shooter, now. After striking out so often with other revolvers, I not only hit a home run, but a grand slam to boot. Yes, this new DW715 is scandalously expensive, but for me, it was worth every penny. Thanks for letting me share. Will report on some of the other guns we shot, today, soon.

10 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Cowgirl Corner: DW 715 accuracy testing, today

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 pm

That is some expert shooting for sure and for certain. Nice work and sounds like you had a great time. Looks like a "front heavy" gun but likely isn't. How do you find the balance?
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:39 pm

nicely done .... I like the look with the red dot mounted .... I have no doubt that you will quickly tighten up your 50 yard groups
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks, guys.

RR, what you see is the shroud that surrounds the barrel, not the barrel. The barrel, itself, inside the shroud, is much thinner, more like a liner. This is all part of the unique ability of Dan Wessons for the user to be able to swap out different length barrels and shrouds, anything from 2" all the way up to 10". Balance is excellent, not excessively muzzle heavy. Along with this ability to swap barrels, it also allows the user to set cylinder gap distance.
3 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Wow, I did not know that. Thanks.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:54 pm

Had one in a 41 mag at one time but sold it. Someone wanted it real bad. Nice shooting NCG and you just cant have to many 357's right?
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Congrats, NCG. Both on your excellent shooting today, and also for the great DW715 revolver you got.

"~~Records set~~on a roll~~hit a home run~~a grand slam to boot......Yes, this new DW715 is scandalously expensive, but for me, it was worth every penny." As I think back to the time I cancelled my order of that FA Model 83, .357 Magnum, I'm certain I goofed. Sure wish I could shoot one of the DW revolvers. As I look at yours, I'd say scandalously expensive is not that much $$$ for a top-quality, top-notch revolver! I think you made the right choice, and offer the applause!

And you're not only a sharp-shooter, but it's 8-) to find out your a gunsmith also. Good job on setting that red dot; looks like it came stock! Whenever you share future reports on this DW715, I'll join you as a happy camper -- from a distance. :lol:

Thanks for your Range Report.
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:We finally made it to the range on a beautiful spring day, today.

....Sorry for getting a bit carried away about this gun, but after all my bad luck with new revolvers, I am just so thrilled to have such a shooter, now. I'm a happy camper.
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:36 am

Thank you, again, folks, for the nice comments.

In every price range and budget, there are guns that are best values. As we all know, you don't have to spend big bucks to get a gun that shoots. It has been my experience, however, that spending more does get you better odds of getting a good shooter, assuming we're talking construction quality, not merely cosmetics.
0 x

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by garryj » Thu May 03, 2018 6:49 am

Nice setup and great shooting! I love my Dan Wesson 715. It's one of the older ones, but it shoots great.

Garry
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu May 03, 2018 10:32 am

Garry, hang on to those older ones. They are becoming highly collectible and prices are going through the roof.
0 x