Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report1 -- SP101 and me.

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Range Report1 -- SP101 and me.

Post by PT7 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:45 pm

I've posted some Henry rifle range reports, but I don't think I've posted any reports yet with my revolver, although I've talked about it at times. Today I went to the nearby MO Dept of Conservation range with my revolver. Last time shooting it was about a month ago, but I do try to get out one or two times each month...just to keep the ;) cylinder revolving!

SP101 & How I use it.
My Ruger is a .357 Magnum/.38 Special revolver with a 4.2" barrel, adjustable rear slotted-rectangle blade sight and a pinned front ramp sight. Earlier this spring I finally "mastered" the heavy-duty DA trigger, so that was easy to handle today (whew, thankfully!!). As you'll see on my targets, I still am challenged with improving my sight usage. Late last year, and this year, I've change my approach to how I use the sights by shooting with both eyes open. It is taking some pretty "focused" concentration, but my shooting has shown me it can be done. Just have to get a handle on this new approach I'm trying.

AMMO
As I do most of the time, I use a mix of ammo -- but try to keep group size and target distance to one specific ammo. Today I shot 70 rounds including: .38 Special + "P" reloads (40 rounds); Remington Golden Saber 125gr HP (20 rounds, .357 magnum); and Armscor 158gr FMJ (10 rounds, .357 magnum).

TARGETS
All simple & homemade as usual -- with cardboard, DB or B-C splash targets, and one "Henry Orange" bullseye target on white squares. I like shooting at steel targets, but that's appropriately restricted at our state range.

SHOOTING DISTANCES
Started out at 7 yards, then moved to 15 yards, finally to 25 yards. I'll note the distance for each target that follows.

GOALS FOR THE DAY
I had in mind two goals for today. First, continue to work on my sighting/shooting with both eyes open. Challenging, but I'm learning how to do it. Second goal was to have fun. RESULTS? Got both goals accomplished!

POIs
Here they are!

Target 1. Shot at 7 yards using one 5-1/2" target, and four 2" targets (took only 1 shot at these small targets; cut them out from the sides of the large cardboard). This was fun, but I'd sure like to see four splashes in the red bullseyes some day! I think they are some HRF folk who can easily do that now....I'll catch up!
Target 1 @ 7 yards
Target 1 @ 7 yards
Target 2. Shot at 15 yards using two 5" rectangle targets. These were my best POIs today, even in spite of 7/10 on top target and 9/10 on bottom target. The other four are buried somewhere near the range end at the bottom of the trees! I was happy with these at this medium range.
Target 2 @ 15 yards
Target 2 @ 15 yards
Target 3. Set these two 5-1/2" targets at 25 yards. If I recall correctly, I shot 15 rounds at left, and 10 rounds at right. You'll easily notice the "cardboard POIs" that didn't make the targets. Ah well, it was end of shooting day and I saved the hardest/longest distance for last. Just might start out long next time! But again, part of the fun is that I'm still satisfied with these POIs. I remember when I first started shooting my SP101. There were some range reports that I took the 25-yard target home as clean as a whistle -- no holes! -- ready to use another day. :lol: This is better!
Target 3 @ 25 yards
Target 3 @ 25 yards
OK for this range report. I hope some other folk enjoyed range time today, too.
Have a great evening! :D
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Range Report1 -- SP101 and me.

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:56 pm

re: SP100 trigger pull .... pushing 30 years ago we purchased 2 GP100 357's with 6" barrels for each of our sons .... we immediately made two modifications to them .... upgraded the grips to Pachmayr rubber grips and changing the trigger springs .... those two mods made an instant positive differences .... made the same mods to my Redhawk 44 mag that was purchased at the same time ....
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks for the report and the comments on the Ruger. I still shoot the Colt Trooper (old model) that I bought in 1968. However I am interested in finding out about Ruger D.A. .357's.
Because I load my own ammo and don't like tying to find brass in the dirt.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:07 pm

JEBar wrote:re: SP100 trigger pull .... pushing 30 years ago we purchased 2 GP100 357's with 6" barrels for each of our sons .... we immediately made two modifications to them .... upgraded the grips to Pachmayr rubber grips and changing the trigger springs .... those two mods made an instant positive differences .... made the same mods to my Redhawk 44 mag that was purchased at the same time ....
I've only made two adjusts to my SP101 since I got it in mid-2014. I changed grips to the Hogue monogrip....handles great!
Second change was to remove the front fiber-optic sight to a black pinned ramp. I work with that okay.

I agree that adjusting (easing) the DA trigger pull would help, I just don't know how to change the trigger springs, and have never done the research yet to find out how-to-do. Glad you noted that....might check it out. Thanks, JEBar!
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:17 pm

If I read your report correct your spread didn't increase all that much from 7 to 25 yards. Good shooting at distance.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:41 am

Sir Henry wrote:If I read your report correct your spread didn't increase all that much from 7 to 25 yards. Good shooting at distance.
You're correct, Sir Henry. The targets at 7 yards and 25 yards are same size, 5-1/2". Both show in-target spread around 3" to 3-1/2" But there is a "but." At 25 yards there are quite a number of those pesky "cardboard POIs" also. Still spread at all three distances was decent today, and I'm content with the shooting results. Always "fun" when you can say/feel that.

Thanks for the "good shooting" compliment....much appreciated! :D
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:46 am

Travlin wrote:Thanks for the report and the comments on the Ruger. However I am interested in finding out about Ruger D.A. .357's.
Because I load my own ammo and don't like tying to find brass in the dirt.
When I had a Springfield Armory 9MM pistol, I had a really tough time finding brass in the grass! The revolver keeps the brass neatly in place.
Since you said you're interested in finding out about Ruger DA in .357 caliber, are you planning to get one?
1 x

~Пока~

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:05 am

let's say I am doing some preliminary research. I might want to put my Colt Trooper into semi retirement even though it has the same action as a Python and is just as smooth from 48 years of shooting. The only thing I don't like about Rugers is that a target hammer is not offered. I have a Red hawk .44 that I bought instead of a Smith because it is a stronger design.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:31 am

Travlin wrote:let's say I am doing some preliminary research. I might want to put my Colt Trooper into semi retirement even though it has the same action as a Python and is just as smooth from 48 years of shooting. The only thing I don't like about Rugers is that a target hammer is not offered. I have a Red hawk .44 that I bought instead of a Smith because it is a stronger design.
Interesting, Travlin. I've not heard of a "target hammer" before. What is it, and what function does it serve?
1 x

~Пока~

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:51 am

Great report, I appreciate your determination to learn the trigger on the gun. I have an old Taurus that had an awful trigger. I eventually replaced the springs and it made the learning curve with double action easier.
I don't think I have ever closed an eye shooting with a handgun. But I can see where changing the habit would be challenging. But it seems you have it nailed. Good shooting on all targets, the 25 yard ones impress me because that little 5" target must appear about the size of a silver dollar. You might try a twelve inch target and hold point of aim at the bottom.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)