Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

April 8th, 1860; the spring buffalo hunt

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: April 8th, 1860; the spring buffalo hunt

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:21 pm

JEBar wrote:just curious .... with the untold numbers of jacketed rounds you've run through your 45, have you run a patch through it coated with a copper solvent ?
Jim
I have read quite a bit about the cleaning of copper out of the bores. Some say its not necessary to remove it unless you see a huge decrease in accuracy. I dont run copper cleaner thru mine every time I shoot the copper plated bullets. I really dont see much change in how they shoot. Im sure if there was a heavy build up in the bore it would change things but I havent ever seen it. I have gotten away from lead cast because they are just dirtier than the copper plated. Just a thought. Not trying to change the way you do your cleaning. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: April 8th, 1860; the spring buffalo hunt

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:38 pm

understood and agree .... I haven't noticed any decline in performance and didn't think anything about it until I could see it when looking down the barrel .... this is new to me because our Henry rifles are the first I've owned that have a copper build up .... my hope is the barrel will smooth out (for lack of a better term) over time and reduce the build up ....
0 x