Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowgirl Corner: my revolver jinx breaker, the DW 715

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Cowgirl Corner: my revolver jinx breaker, the DW 715

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:04 pm

I've never posted much about my bad luck with new production revolvers, but suffice it to say, I've had some really bad luck with quality control and function issues on a high percentage of new production revolvers from a couple of brands. Enough so, in fact, to almost call it quits with the new stuff and stick with vintage revolvers.

After paring down the rifle collection of some rifles that were seeing little use to make more room in the safe, I decided to give a new production revolver one more chance. Had the money from the rifles to afford a good one, so I ordered this one, keeping my fingers crossed that I wouldn't end up with another expensive lemon.

Here's the gun. It's a new production, Dan Wesson 715, 357 magnum with a 6" barrel and, make no mistake, this is one expensive revolver, right there with the price of DW 1911s. I'm happy to report, though, it's no lemon. Not even close. In fact, I've nicknamed it my "jinx breaker".

For those of you not familiar with DW revolvers, they are unique in many respects. They feature user interchangeable barrels of different lengths, the ability for the user to set the correct barrel/cylinder gap, a different lock up system featuring a ball detent, superb adjustable sights with easy to change front sights and, my favorite, a great trigger by design, both in single action, but especially in double action. The DW has an exceptionally fast lock time, thanks to the shortest travel and smoothest out of the box DA trigger you will ever find. As someone who loves shooting in DA, this is one superb gun to shoot in DA. As for SA, not even the tiniest hint of creep or mush. Calling it crisp does not do it justice.

Now at around 300 rounds of 357 in the DW (have no intention of shooting 38s in it). Not a singe issue of any kind. Extraction is perfect with any kind of ammo and no leading issues, whatsoever. Sight in day I had to settle for a 20 yard target, since the other stations were being used by other shooters, but still enough distance for the DW to show its stuff.

SA with 3" bull (I don't use a rest, anymore, to sight in a new handgun. I go right to my usual standing position.)

DA with a 3" bull. Not much difference, thanks to the excellent DA pull.

Last outing, I did manage to wade though the heavy snow for one try at 50 yards, after dialing in the sights for a six o'clock hold on the 6" bull. Hands were just getting too cold, but had to give it a try, anyway. The "jinx breaker" did not disappoint.

Can't wait for spring and some warmer weather, but not even close to spring, up here. In fact, we've had more snow in April than we've had in February or March. May be June for warmer weather, the way it's going. In the meantime, I do enjoy pulling out the 715 for a little dry fire work. I'll be ready when we finally get some spring weather.

Love our 1911s, but when it comes to shooting 357s, nothing is more traditional than a quality DA revolver.
4 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Re: Cowgirl Corner: my revolver jinx breaker, the DW 715

Post by Travlin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:11 am

Good shooting. I remember that D.W. also made a .22 rf revolver on a big frame but I think that was the company before it came back .
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:31 am

First comments are about two of your target results, NCG.
Your "SA with a 3" bull"....no rest for sight in.

SA with 3" bull (I don't use a rest, anymore, to sight in a new handgun. I go right to my usual standing position.)
Wow!

...and "Last outing....try at 50 yards" are both impressively excellent, especially so because of your off hand shooting. The farthest distance I shot my 3.02" Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum revolver was at a black steel target 45 yards out, off hand and kneeling. I for sure didn't have as many POIs clang that steel as you have in your splash target. Again, I'd like to try out a DW someday!! :)

Last outing, I did manage to wade though the heavy snow for one try at 50 yards, after dialing in the sights for a six o'clock hold on the 6" bull. Hands were just getting too cold, but had to give it a try, anyway. The "jinx breaker" did not disappoint.
Wow!

Although you named the DW715 appropriately, the shooter helped much to blow away any jinx.

Here's the gun. It's a new production, Dan Wesson 715, 357 magnum with a 6" barrel and, make no mistake, this is one expensive revolver, right there with the price of DW 1911s. I'm happy to report, though, it's no lemon. Not even close. In fact, I've nicknamed it my "jinx breaker".

Love our 1911s, but when it comes to shooting 357s, nothing is more traditional than a quality DA revolver.
Wow!

Nothing else to say this go-around other than those wows. Great thread and very cool revolver!
North Country Gal wrote: .....stick with vintage revolvers.......DW revolvers, they are unique in many respects. Now at around 300 rounds of 357 in the DW (have no intention of shooting 38s in it). Not a single issue of any kind.
0 x

~Пока~

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:24 am

What is the load you are using for .357's? Just wondering how well this gun will stand up to extended shooting of full power .357's.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:04 am

beautiful revolver in the hands of a someone who knows how to use it .... it should last you and your family for many generations
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:12 am

That is a beauty and looks almost as good as your targets.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:27 am

And, WOW, for the nice comments, folks. I do appreciate them.

To answer some questions, I do sight in my handguns, out of the box or after a load change, directly from a standing position. Shooting a handgun from a rest and then switching to a standing position does change the POI, since your grip changes when switching between those shooting positions and that does affect POI. Of course, you do have to have a basic level of skill with a handgun to do this, enough to know when a miss or a flyer was caused by your shooting or the gun.

The DW lockup is stronger than a typical S&W. It was designed, specifically, by it's inventor, Dan Wesson, to be stronger than a Smith. Closer to a Ruger, than a Smith, in this regard. It's unique, though, unlike any other revolver design. It uses a stout locking lug at the front of the cylinder (that where the release is) and a ball detent on the rear. The ball detent is used on the big S&W X frame revolvers and some of their other designs where extra strength is needed. DW revolvers have a long history of durability and accuracy in silhouette shooting, where a competitor will shoot more rounds in one year than most shooters will see in a lifetime. Back in the heyday of silhouette, DW revolvers pretty much owned the revolver class and, to a lesser extent, Rugers.

As for ammo, I use standard factory 357, 158s or 180s. From time to time, I'll run some of the fancy hunting factory loads to see what they can do in our various 357s, but for our shoot for fun approach, the standard factory 357s are plenty accurate.

At 47 ounces, the DW is a big, heavy revolver. It's no carry gun. It's purely a target or hunting 357. That weight, along with the frame and grip design, makes standard 357s feel like shooting 38s in a lighter gun.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:47 pm

That is sure good shooting. Very interesting revolver too. I know nothing about them. Thanks.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:44 pm

if I was in the market for a 357 revolver, my first choice would still be a Ruger GP100 and my second would be a Dan Wesson
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks, again, folks.

JEBar, if you saw the price tag on the 715, you'd might be in the market for just the Ruger. :)

Dan Wesson prices went up, considerably, this year. Already expensive guns became more expensive. Not many folks would pay around $1500 for a new revolver. I had to think long and hard on it. In the end, I decided to take the plunge on a new 715 while I could. I fear that DW will have to drop the 715 at some point for lack of sales. That would leave vintage DW revolvers as the only option and those do not come cheap, either. They don't come up for sale that often.

In my defense at spending that much, consider the way all Dan Wessons are made, be it their 1911s or their 715. First, no MIM parts on any Dan Wesson. All parts are premium grade, CNC machined. Then, an individual gun is assembled from those parts by an individual who matches and mates those parts for best fit. The parts, themselves, are only minimally altered or finished by hand, but are instead, carefully selected for proper fit following a strict protocol for quality. As a result, you will never get an DW that is less than perfect, out of the box. No need for breaking in, trigger job and all the other rigamarole shooters go though with other brands to make them right. You pay, dearly, for this kind of QC, but it reduces your odds of getting a lemon to next to nothing.

My other Dan Wesson is a 1911 A2. It was a big help in making me decide to take the plunge on the revolver. I honestly don't think you can make a better 1911 than this. Fancier, yes, but better fit, no. It's my pride and joy.
1 x