Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

shot my CZ 455 Varmint

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

shot my CZ 455 Varmint

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:06 pm

I got to shoot the CZ 455 Varmint I bought this week on Tuesday evening between down pours moving through the area. I shot 5 rounds in the basement to make sure it was working as should and then cleaned the barrel. I shot no fouling shots after cleaning and went right to the shooting the target. I could only get to about 1 yd. short of my 40 yd. target with the water being deep at the target. I shot the CCI Standard Velocity first. The first target measured .366" for five shots. The second target with another lot number of CCI Standards ended up at 5 shots in .271". While I was shooting the last group the hard rain came again right before I shot the last shot and the wind kicked up also. I knew when I shot the last round it wasn't going to be in the group of the first four rounds. With out the one that was a bullet or so out the Wolf match target group was .166". I shot no fouler shots between brands and the first target the cold clean bore shot 1/2 bullet diameter higher than the rest of the four shots but still was .366". I will get it shot hopefully this week at 50 yds. with more of a variety of ammo. The way it looks so far it is looking better than any of the other 455's ever shot that are no longer here. It will take a lot more shooting to really judge this rifle for accuracy but at least I have a little hope for this 455 by the initial groups on Tuesday from my back porch. I have two of my friends already wanting to buy it but I am not ready to sell it right now.
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: shot my CZ 455 Varmint

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Good for you, bandit. Like I've been telling you, having owned a dozen 455s and and almost that number of 452s, no way I could ever prove one series is more accurate than the other. I think it's more luck of the draw on the individual barrel you get than the action, itself. Have never had a real stinker in a CZ barrel, but some have been super. Anyway, sounds like that one is a keeper.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:30 pm

NCG, Thanks for your reply. In all honesty I believe if I had the 455's back that were not as good accuracy wise as my 452's I know a little more about the nature of the beast I could improve them to where they would have possibly been good shooters. I don't have the torque issues with the 452's as the 455's seem to be more sensitive to the action screw torque. Also seems there is more than just a few bad crowns and seem to be mostly on the Varmint. Maybe the varmint barrel is from a different line in the factory with not so great crowning being done by that line of workers. This 455 has a heavier barrel with less taper than the varmint 452 and really makes the gun feel heavy but helps with it laying on bags well. I don't "need" more 22's but this was a very good deal and after finding the 452 Lux I should have backed out on the 455 but I don't like laying anything away and then backing out on it. My wife can shoot it off the bench and it don't need to go hunting squirrels. ;) :lol:
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:13 pm

For sure, with my love of offhand shooting, our two CZ 453 Varmints see a lot more use with Bill, who shoots exclusively from a rest. His disabilities make it difficult to stand for long periods with an appreciable amount of steadiness. It's also a matter of his nature. He doesn't see the point of shooting a rifle from a standing position when there's a perfectly good rest available. :) He also knows those two 453 Varmints like the back of his hand and once he finds a gun he likes, he tends to stick with it. That, too, is part of his nature. As for me, well, I think it's pretty obvious to everyone from my posts that I thrive on variety. Fortunately for me, he is very supportive of my eclectic tastes in guns.
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:28 am

Congratulations on your new 455, bandit. It sounds like you have a real shooter. I've only ever owned one 455 Varmint, and it has been an excellent rifle too. :D
1 x