Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rapid firing a Mark IV

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Rapid firing a Mark IV

Post by PT7 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:34 am

Although it was a warm (63*) and sunny day on Thursday, to avoid some of the stronger wind gusts I chose to go to an indoor range. It's somewhat a challenge just to keep this light-weight Mark IV steady, so I tried to lessen any wind impact on my POIs.

After shooting several of these 6" targets at my usual HD practice distance of 7-10 yards, I decided to bring three targets in closer to a distance of 5 yards. When shooting at the farther targets, I used both hands and really concentrated on my aim. For these three, I decided to shoot with right hand only, and also shot rapid fire at two of them. What a surprise to see that I had less flyers when shooting rapid fire today! So I thought, "why do I need to aim?!?" :lol:

Ended up to be much fun and almost even relaxing to not concentrate so hard on my sights. Just shot, and quickly brought the barrel back to the target and shot again...and again...and again...until the 10-round magazine emptied.

So here's my pistol, and the three targets. Almost forgot. The ammo I used was two brands: Federal Game-Shok 38gr CP-HP (1260 FPS at muzzle) and Aguila SuperExtra 40gr CP. I had two stovepipes with the Aguila. These three targets display 50 POIs, and I shot a total of 100 rounds today. I didn't think two failures out of 100 rounds to be very excessive.

Overall, another pretty good time on the range!
Take care, Everyone.
PT7

Ruger Mark IV pistol in .22LR
Mark IV Standard model.jpg
Mark IV Standard model.jpg (238.44 KiB) Viewed 989 times
NOT rapid fire - 20 rounds
MarkIV_5 yds_DSCN2411.jpg
MarkIV_5 yds_DSCN2411.jpg (129.84 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Rapid fire - 20 rounds
MarkIV_rapid fire_5 yds_DSCN2410.jpg
MarkIV_rapid fire_5 yds_DSCN2410.jpg (128.12 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Rapid fire - 10 rounds
MarkIV_rapid fire_5 yds_DSCN2412.jpg
MarkIV_rapid fire_5 yds_DSCN2412.jpg (130.21 KiB) Viewed 989 times
4 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Rapid firing a Mark IV

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 am

fun indeed ..... both of our sons have a Mark II's .... they are really well made, solid performers ... their grip lends itself to rapid fire, point shooting
1 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:54 am

Lots of MK II's, III's, & IV's are being used at the steel matches at my range. I may use my MK II if I acquire some more magazines. I need at least 5 and only have the original 2. They are a lot of fun and the MK IV design is a huge improvement. I plan on using my son's 10/22 for the next match, it is so easy to go really fast with that little rifle even though the trigger is heavy.

2 failures or even 1 out of 125 or more rounds would be considered excessive for the people using them shooting steel matches. Most I've talked to use only CCI Mini Mags for the matches due to their reliability. But, lots of the other brands don't always work so well sometimes. If it is only for fun, no issue!

Your MK IV is beautiful. I love the looks of the blued fixed sight models.
2 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Yes Sir, that point shooting stuff is great for short range. Try it out at the 7 to 10 yard range. I think you will be just as pleasantly surprised. As long as the target is big enough and bold enough that you don't have to squint you can get in the habit of hitting what you point at real quick.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:10 pm

Thanks to you three fellows for your comments. As I've often said on this Forum, always something new to learn. That again just happened, JEBar & RSb. You used the term "point shooting," which I had never heard before. Looks like that is what I was doing while at the range. :o

And to you, DAVIDF. Yes, using .22LR ammo in any semi-auto foundation carries with it issues about reliability. That's partly why I'm mainly a wheel-gun person, whenever I'm not shooting my Henry SGC .22LR. So far the Henry likes almost everything I've run through it. The Mark IV is different. As you said, I've also noticed that the CCI Mini-Mags are pretty dependable, and the Mark IV agrees.

I did some 3-gun training a few years ago, and you're absolutely right again. In any 3-gun competition, an off-and-on gun is a liability. I like 3-gun when configured for a revolver, plus the shotgun and a rifle. My plans for the Mark IV when I bought it were to shoot "just for fun," especially since .22LR is available and fairly inexpensive. Plus no pressure whenever I shoot it....fun is fun, and relaxing, too.

Thanks again. Your approval comment on my Mark IV's cool look 8-) is appreciated. I really do like the bluing and gun design, especially the bull barrel.

Take care, and everyone have a great weekend.
PT7

JEBar wrote:fun indeed ..... both of our sons have a Mark II's .... they are really well made, solid performers ... their grip lends itself to rapid fire, point shooting
DAVIDF wrote:Lots of MK II's, III's, & IV's are being used at the steel matches at my range. I may use my MK II if I acquire some more magazines. I need at least 5 and only have the original 2. They are a lot of fun and the MK IV design is a huge improvement. I plan on using my son's 10/22 for the next match, it is so easy to go really fast with that little rifle even though the trigger is heavy.

2 failures or even 1 out of 125 or more rounds would be considered excessive for the people using them shooting steel matches. Most I've talked to use only CCI Mini Mags for the matches due to their reliability. But, lots of the other brands don't always work so well sometimes. If it is only for fun, no issue!

Your MK IV is beautiful. I love the looks of the blued fixed sight models.
RetiredSeabee wrote:Yes Sir, that point shooting stuff is great for short range. Try it out at the 7 to 10 yard range. I think you will be just as pleasantly surprised. As long as the target is big enough and bold enough that you don't have to squint you can get in the habit of hitting what you point at real quick.
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Have always loved those short barrels Mark Standards. They really are such natural pointers, as you've demonstrated with your shooting, PT.

Those stovepipes may disappear after you've shot more rounds. Back when I was shooting Rugers, I intentionally ran CCI Mini-mags for several hundred rounds to loosen up a new gun, before trying standard velocity rounds. That usually did the trick.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Appreciate your ammo suggestion, NCG. I hadn't thought about that. I have a fair stock of CCI Mini-Mags with enough to run several hundred through the pistol for upcoming range visits. It's my next can do with the gun. And my purpose just to use it as a "fun gun" is a definite plus. Maybe I should quit calling it the Mark IV, and simply name it "The~Fun~Gun!"

Have a great weekend....thanks again.
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:Have always loved those short barrels Mark Standards. They really are such natural pointers, as you've demonstrated with your shooting, PT.

Those stovepipes may disappear after you've shot more rounds. Back when I was shooting Rugers, I intentionally ran CCI Mini-mags for several hundred rounds to loosen up a new gun, before trying standard velocity rounds. That usually did the trick.
1 x

~Пока~