Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Mark IV pistol from PT7's "new" gun cabinet.

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Mark IV pistol from PT7's "new" gun cabinet.

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 am

Hey, Everyone,

Range Reports are one of my favorite things to read on our Henry Forum. With the guns I've been writing about recently, I always debate putting the specific gun in its Forum category, eg. this pistol might fit just fine in the Other FIrearms/sub-forum, Handguns. Then I end up once again here in the Range Reports.

So this is my next story, Range Report, and gun introduction from PT7’s Gun Cabinet. I’ve written about 3 of the 5 guns now in my gun cabinet and introduced the new firearm “residents” that have come in over the last eight months or so. Along with their “residency,” they’ve also provided a new focus for my range outings.

The Gun. This is a new gun to me, and my only semi-auto pistol. It is the latest release by Ruger in their Mark IV series, the “Mark IV Standard” in .22LR.
Ruger Mark IV .22LR.jpg
Ruger Mark IV .22LR.jpg (241.32 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
Mark IV Standard model.jpg
Mark IV Standard model.jpg (238.44 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
Mark IV pistol and magazines.jpg
Mark IV pistol and magazines.jpg (229.88 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
Why this firearm? I actually surprised myself that I got a semi-auto pistol, since I’m a pretty die-hard wheel-gun guy. The only other semi-auto I’ve owned was my SA XD 9MM back in 2013. It was an excellent shooting pistol, but I simply prefer shooting a revolver.

Also, back in 2013, I went through 3-Gun Competition training with my son-in-law, who is a police officer and owns his own shooting range. For the pistol component of 3-Gun, he let me train with his Ruger Hunter-model .22LR pistol. It was fun and easy to shoot. Then during last December 2017, I visited his range one warm winter day and he brought out his Ruger 22/45 Lite pistol, which I think was a Mark III model. Anyway, it was also a lot of fun, so when I got home I checked out the .22 rimfire pistols on Ruger’s website. Happened to learn that the Mark IV model I now have has an extremely simple take-down procedure compared to previous models. Before the Mark IV release, the take-down process was a real bear to handle. So, I checked this pistol out at my LGS, and then decided to get one. When my son-in-law tried it out, the very next day he bought this new model, too. And that was primarily for the take-down improvement! I’m posting one photo showing the pistol take-down. The bolt spring easily comes out, as well. The whole procedure, take-down or reassembly, takes only about 15-20 seconds. Extremely simple.
Mark IV breakdown.jpg
Mark IV breakdown.jpg (235.65 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
Started out with Ruger CS and Service Support. I bought the pistol in November 2017 but didn’t shoot it until December 2017. New-out-of-the-box, I found that the bolt was binding, and wouldn’t completely close. The Ruger CS rep tried to convince me to “just shoot it” to see how it would work. I answered with a definite “no,” and said for safety reasons, it needed to be checked out by a Ruger gunsmith. She agreed, and right away sent me a postage paid shipping label. Within a very short time after sending it in for repair, I got it back with the bolt freed up -- good repair job. The pistol has operated without a single glitch so far.

Mark IV Range Report. I took my pistol to the range once per month starting in December, 2017. This report is from my fourth time out (early this March), and I had shot just over 300 rounds at that point. After the initial bolt repair, out-of-the-box the pistol was spot-on target, and needed no sight-in adjusts. It was also very easy to handle, didn’t have any feed or extraction issues, and only a very few ammo misfires (yup, it happens with rimfire bullets). So far, it has liked a good variety of .22LR ammo I’ve chambered through it. Everything works just fine on this pistol.

Ammo, target distances, and POI results. Went to an indoor range and purposed (again!) just to do some relaxed shooting. Range was pretty quiet since I went mid-week.

~~The targets are the telling of the POIs. I marked each target with distance and ammo. Only off hand shooting. Like I said, no focused goals, just some fun with the pistol. The three targets include: one displaying plain-Jane plinking; another shows a rapid-fire magazine group; and one where I shot left-handed. I did quite well with my left-hand, much to my surprise. Of course, that was only after I figured out how to correctly grip the pistol as a lefty! Unlike my revolvers, got to keep an eye on that whipping bolt!
FJ range1.jpg
FJ range1.jpg (175.1 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
FJ range_2.jpg
FJ range_2.jpg (190.91 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
FJ range_3.jpg
FJ range_3.jpg (177.55 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
Comment about rapid-firing. That was quite a shocker to me that it is allowed at this indoor range. The RO said “sure, it’s okay to do.” At the MO Dept of Conservation outdoor ranges, rapid-fire is completely restricted. It was a lot of fun to empty a 10-round magazine in such a short amount of time! The Mark IV trigger performed quite easily.

Short and sweet. This is my go-to, fun-at-the-range-pistol. I continue to be surprised how much I like shooting it. I guess someday I might consider using it to wabbit hunt; but going to stay right now with my Henry SGC in .22LR for those wabbit adventures!

Thanks for letting me show off my new and only pistol. :)
Have a great day, Everyone!
PT7
5 x

~Пока~

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Mark IV pistol from PT7's "new" gun cabinet.

Post by GFK » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:44 am

Nice pistol. Looks like you had fun also!
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 am

Nice pistol. Ruger MkIV's are addictive - We've got one of the SS Hunter models. The only downside with these things is that you go thru 22LR ammo like popcorn - just too much fun to plink at anything and everything....
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:59 am

Nice report PT. I have an ultra lite 22/45 with a Burris fastfire on it. Its a hoot to shoot for sure. I havent got to shoot much lately and when I do I have been checking out other guns that need load work. I also own a Mark III Hunter model which I like to shoot and its harder to take apart like you say but what the heck once you get use to those there not that bad and I use it like a mind teaser, keeps me sharp in my GOLDEN years. I almost bought one of the Ruger Hunter Single Six revolvers but I have a shorter barrel version of a single six that I like so I thought I would just stay with it. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:48 am

Excellent range report, PT. Thanks for sharing.

Like you, Bill and I shoot revolvers a lot (especially Bill) and I spend a lot of time with my Contender pistols. For us, as far as semi-auto handguns, it's all about 1911s. If not for the 1911, I wouldn't even bother with semi-autos, anymore and, believe me, I have shot a wide range of semi-auto pistol types in my time. Those 1911s, though, really do a number on me in a way that no other gun can. When I pick up a 1911, I get a spooky "I've been here, before" feeling, almost like I knew how to shoot one the day I was born. Go figure. As much as I love shooting our other types of guns, losing our 1911s would hurt the most.

Aa for rimfire semi-autos, we now use our lone S&W Victory as a way to practice shooting our 1911s, bit also, of course, because it's fun to shoot. As I mentioned in my other tread, if a gun isn't fun to shoot, it doesn't say in our collection for long.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 pm

I like the classic look of your new Ruger. If I didn't already own a S&W Victory I might be tempted to go to the gun store and drool on the new Mark IV. I absolutely love shooting my .22 handguns probably my most accurate target shooting because of the virtual lack of recoil.
I am still tempted to go find a classic early model Ruger Standard just because they look so cool.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:19 pm

PT7 wrote: So this is my next story, Range Report, and gun introduction from PT7’s Gun Cabinet.
Thanks for the great story telling, range report, and wonderful photos, PT7. I loved it.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes, I think shooting this Mark IV has the addiction flavor, tractortad.
Since I have another elder-age challenge and my teeth cannot easily handle popcorn nowadays, shooting .22LR "popcorn" is a fun thing to do! :lol:

tractortad wrote:Nice pistol. Ruger MkIV's are addictive - We've got one of the SS Hunter models. The only downside with these things is that you go thru 22LR ammo like popcorn - just too much fun to plink at anything and everything....
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:47 pm

I had forgotten that 1911s are a special treasure for you both to shoot, SGC.
I've never shot a 1911. Hope that day might come about.
Whoa, maybe shouldn't wish for that! Just might get hooked on them, too. ;)
North Country Gal wrote:Excellent range report, PT. Thanks for sharing.

Like you, Bill and I shoot revolvers a lot (especially Bill) and I spend a lot of time with my Contender pistols. For us, as far as semi-auto handguns, it's all about 1911s. If not for the 1911, I wouldn't even bother with semi-autos, anymore and, believe me, I have shot a wide range of semi-auto pistol types in my time. Those 1911s, though, really do a number on me in a way that no other gun can. When I pick up a 1911, I get a spooky "I've been here, before" feeling, almost like I knew how to shoot one the day I was born. Go figure. As much as I love shooting our other types of guns, losing our 1911s would hurt the most.

Aa for rimfire semi-autos, we now use our lone S&W Victory as a way to practice shooting our 1911s, bit also, of course, because it's fun to shoot. As I mentioned in my other tread, if a gun isn't fun to shoot, it doesn't say in our collection for long.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:50 pm

You're absolutely right about "the classic look." Is this the look you have in mind, RSb?
When I bought my Mark IV, this type of firearm did come to my mind.
WWI German P08 Luger_deactivated.jpg
WWI German P08 Luger_deactivated.jpg (16.21 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
I got this picture from a British website, which sells deactivated firearms. They date this pistol as an Imperial German army Luger, 1918. The home page for the website: http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/ They advertise themselves as "Suppliers of quality deactivated guns," and are called Arundel Militaria. Interesting to look through some of this stuff.

Yup, no recoil probs at all with my Mark IV. Like you said, a pleasure to fire this pistol. :)
RetiredSeabee wrote:I like the classic look of your new Ruger. If I didn't already own a S&W Victory I might be tempted to go to the gun store and drool on the new Mark IV. I absolutely love shooting my .22 handguns probably my most accurate target shooting because of the virtual lack of recoil.
I am still tempted to go find a classic early model Ruger Standard just because they look so cool.
1 x

~Пока~