Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowgirl Corner: my carry Kimber 357

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Cowgirl Corner: my carry Kimber 357

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:13 pm

Yes, the Kimber is very easy to stage, though that last little catch before the hammer falls is very subtle. Actually, I use my grip to get there, more consistently. By experimenting with my grip and using the same grip, each and every time, my trigger finger actually makes contact with the thumb on my shooting hand. Once it does, I know exactly how much travel is left before the trigger breaks. I'm right there at that break point. This technique, by the way, can be used with any DA revolver when shooting in DA, simply by finding a grip that allows it.

The beauty of a really good DA trigger, though, such as the Kimber, is that it is still very easy to use without staging, as you might use in fast shooting or in a self-defense situation or just because you'd rather not use staging. I really have no interest in a DA revolver that can only be shot accurately in DA by staging. Staging is great for target work, but I would never want to depend on it. Nice to have as an option, but anyone shooting in DA needs to know how to get along without it. My opinion, for what it's worth. :)
3 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Great shooting & very nice looking revolver. Not for me, though - I just got to have a hammer and the single action option.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:53 am

On most of our revolvers, I feel the same way about having the SA option. For sure, when I get serious about target work, I grab one of our other revolvers, all of which offer the SA option.

The Kimber, though, is a more specialized, more use specific design, so I think the lack of an exposed hammer is appropriate and practical. I make no pretense of this being an all around, do it all, revolver. The Kimber truly is a hardcore, just draw the gun and shoot design - no hammer to cock, nothing to snag, just work the trigger with a full six shots if you need or want them, using either one hand or two. Something to be said for that in a stress situation, though, as mentioned, I also enjoy shooting the Kimber just for the sake of shooting.
0 x