Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

45-70 range fun w/shotgun scope and cowboy action ammo

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
greyrush
Tenderfoot
United States of America

45-70 range fun w/shotgun scope and cowboy action ammo

Post by greyrush » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:23 pm

My H010 .45-70 isn't even 2 months old yet but I was itching to try scope on it, so I put a Simmons Prodiamond 1.5-5x32 shotgun scope on it. My eyes aren't what they used to be in my younger days. After trying a couple ammo brands that just punish my shoulder and make my eyeballs rattle in their sockets, I was also itching to try some of that 'cowboy action' ammo (405gr) I've read about here and there. Got to try out both at a 75yrd indoor range this morning. Fun!

Set the target out at 25 yrds to get the scope dialed-in close enough, walked 4 shots up toward center then had 4 more shots close enough for government work. Then moved out to 75 yrds for more fun.

I like the scope reticle, put the target in the middle and pull the trigger. Simple. And the nice gas cloud from the 'cowboy action' ammo ... kind-of takes you back to the old west. Or at least what I saw of it in movies. And it doesn't kill your shoulder. If a gun isn't fun to shoot, it won't be used. I can see getting more of those rounds. I love the smell of gun powder in the morning. :-]

2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 45-70 range fun w/shotgun scope and cowboy action ammo

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:34 pm

nicely dialed in .. :D .. well understood on the fun to shoot and with a 45-70, Cowboy Action ammo sure helps fill that bill
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:52 pm

Nice shooting. I've never shot cowboy action, but I am so glad there is such a sport for the sake of all the easy on the shoulder factory ammo it gives me to shoot. :)
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Great stuff. I too like shooting light ammo in my 45/70. If you don't need the extra HP why beat up the shoulder?

That's the whole point of cowboy action ammo. it replicates the old black powder loads for these guns.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.