Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

1st Range Trip Henry BBS 357Mag

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
flat_topp
Tenderfoot
United States of America

1st Range Trip Henry BBS 357Mag

Post by flat_topp » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 pm

So I finally got a chance to take my new Henry BBS (purchased December 2017) to the indoor range today. I shot four different brands of ammo. The rifle functioned just fine with all of the brands.

Federal American Eagle .357Mag 158gr JSP
S&B .357Mag 158gr SP
PMC Bronze .357Mag 158gr JSP
Aguila .357Mag 158gr SJSP

The Federal, PMC, and Aguila all produced similar recoil. The S&B had noticeably lighter recoil. I shouldn't really try to report on any accuracy differences, since my eyes struggled with the factory open sights on the Henry. I'll have to try shooting it again after I have my cataract surgery in March. I'll probably end up with a Skinner peep sight or a scope (gasp!) eventually.

I had an embarrassing incident during one of my reloads when I launched the brass magazine tube about 10 feet in front of the shooting bench. I had to get the range officer to call a cease fire (on 12 lanes) so he could retrieve the thing. Oops, sorry guys!
1stRangeTrip.jpg
1stRangeTrip.jpg (110.12 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
1 x
H012M Big Boy Steel .357Mag/.38Spl
NRA, ISRA

Jrprock
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: 1st Range Trip Henry BBS 357Mag

Post by Jrprock » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Nice looking gun!

There’s something so romantic about blued steel and walnut.
0 x
BBS Carbine 45 Colt
45-70 Carbine
.22LR Frontier

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:14 pm

I had a similar problem at the indoor range- my vision isn't good enough to pick up the rear sight in the low light of the indoor cave (range).
I've put on a Skinner Express and a high front post but haven't been back to the tomb lately.
Got to take it outside.
Nice BBS, they are serious looking, aren't they?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:44 pm

flat_topp wrote: I had an embarrassing incident during one of my reloads when I launched the brass magazine tube about 10 feet in front of the shooting bench.

Yup! I did that once, too. It was at an indoor range and I was alone, so I just went and got it, but damn! That spring is strong! It's only happened to me once and I'll bet you'll only do it once, too.

I also had the ejector rod on my Colt SAA clone spring about six feet away after the assembly screw worked its way out. Thankfully, I found all of the pieces. No harm done. Now, I bring a screw driver set and check the screws before, during, and after each trip to the range. For the record, I do use blue loctite. The instructions say to be sure to eliminate all oil before applying it, so I guess I may not be that successful at removing the oil. It won't stay put for very long, even though I use a dry Q-Tip to clean the clean both the male and female threads. As a result, I'm very conscious of the screws on all of my firearms and check them often.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:02 am

I added a Skinner Peep to my Big Boy Carbine 357 and the results were a dramatic increase in accuracy. I really like the looks of that brass/blue combo sight on the Brass Big Boy Carbine as well. It went on in about a half hour.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:29 am

Ditto on the screws on a Colt SA clone. They are notorious for working loose. Lost one while shooting my Pietta 357 clone while shooting and then had to go online to hunt for another one.
0 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:24 pm

I love my 357 BBS. I've posted before about various types of ammo. My favorite round for the rifle is the Fiocchi FMJTC round. It's a 142 grain copper jacket that feeds and cycles very well. With the factory sights I was shooting the middle out of orange clay pigeons at 50 yards. Awesome stuff!
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag