Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone else?

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Anyone else?

Post by Dahliathemeh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:41 pm

Me and my hubby went out shooting on Friday night. I was super excited to shoot my new Henry, and it was a great shooting gun. After the first 20 shots the bolt would freeze for a few seconds, then release. This began happening after every 4th to 5th shot. Other than this, shoots like a dream. Is there a break in period that I should know about?
0 x
I never take myself seriously....

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Anyone else?

Post by GFK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:17 pm

Dahliathemeh wrote:Me and my hubby went out shooting on Friday night. I was super excited to shoot my new Henry, and it was a great shooting gun. After the first 20 shots the bolt would freeze for a few seconds, then release. This began happening after every 4th to 5th shot. Other than this, shoots like a dream. Is there a break in period that I should know about?
I am no expert. But, could this be a result of metal expanding and contracting as it heated or cooled? I thinking the bolt may heat faster than the receiver. Like I said, I am not an expert though.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Refresh my memory Dahliathemeh. What model Henry do you have?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:10 pm

Glad you and your hubby got out to do some shooting. It's a great having a hubby as a shooting partner! We have lots of fun.

No, your Henry should not be doing that. It sounds like there's burr on one of the parts that needs to be removed and, yes, it will probably smooth itself out over time, but that's not something you should have to settle for. It's something Henry is obligated to fix.
2 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks Northern country girl!
Wrangler I have an all weather 3030
0 x

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:54 am

Dahliathemeh, seems like several folks with the All Weathers are having minor difficulties with rough or 'sticky' bolts. I would suggest simply lubing the bolt and shooting it some more to allow the parts to wear in and 'mate' together. Look for any burrs as well. If the problem does not go away, contact HRA and they will take care of it. That is one thing I can say about HRA, they DO care about their customers and will do what it takes for the customer to be happy. Removing the bolt for inspection and cleaning and lubing is easy. Try that first.
1 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:43 pm

Rifle all cleaned and lubed, gonna give it some time to break in. If the issue persists I'll have Henry look at it. Ammo isn't cheap in our county. The most inexpensive is about a dollar a bullet. It'll take time for me to get back out there. I'll keep everyone posted
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:47 pm

JNG3 wrote:Refresh my memory Dahliathemeh. What model Henry do you have?
:D
0 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 am

Last Saturday I went to the range after Xanadu (My rifle's name) was all cleaned and lubed. Hornady rounds were giving me some problems, they were the 3rd box of ammo I was using. The binding on my bolt was not as pronounced the first time I was shooting her. You could feel some light sluggishness in the action. Federal ammo didn't give me any issues either. The best rounds for this rifle I have found to be Herter's 150 grain ammo. Zero problems and a ton of fun to shoot. The biggie in this city, is this ammo costs only $15 a box. I will be going again in the next couple of weeks as soon as the better half gets his rifle finished. total amount of rounds before sluggish action, 45 or 50.
0 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:52 pm

IMG_20180217_110046.jpg
IMG_20180217_110046.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 1733 times
3 x