Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry H001L report.

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Henry H001L report.

Post by JNG3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:21 pm

I wish I had a way to take and post pictures, but I don't, so no pics. At any rate I had purchased a H001L last year. It had many issues right out of the box. Called Henry and they took care of it in a timely manner. They simply replaced the carbine. When I received the replacement from HRA, I gave it a quick function test and left it at that. With hunting season and ice fishing winding down here I now have time for range work. My replacement has slightly canted sights but nothing outside of what I would consider out of tolerance for an inexpensive mass produced firearm. Also the fit of the buttstock to the reciever could be better. Not bad, just could be better. Yesterday was a nice morning. Little wind and warm for this time of year. The carbine was benched with a sandbag under the forearm and a smaller bag under the buttstock and the target was a measured 25 yards away. Cheaper brands did not fair well. Win Wildcats, Blazers, Thunderbolts, etc were at best 'minute of pop can'. However when fed better quality ammunition the accuracy improved greatly. Here is a list of the average of three 5 shot groups for each brand-

1. Eley Target .455" CTC
2. Eley HV HP .592" CTC
3. SK STD Plus .608" CTC
4. Champion #510 .438" CTC
5. Champion #714 .592" CTC

The carbine was shot with the supplied factory sights. I will be putting a Williams FP-GR on it as well as an improved front sight. Likely a Skinner or Hi-Vis so that I have a dovetail. These groups are not much larger than what I can do at 25 yards with a CZ 452 Ultra Lux and its great iron sights. That in itself is amazing! The carbine never failed to feed, fire, extract, or eject. I think it's a keeper.
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Henry H001L report.

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 pm

JNG3 wrote: I think it's a keeper.
Thanks for that report, and no photos are needed to appreciate your comment. Henry replaced my first center-fire rifle, too. The replacement is a joy to own and to shoot.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Henry H001L report.

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:23 am

Absolutely, thanks for taking the time to do a report. Great that you can share such detailed info. I'm sure others will find it helpful. Those some nice groups, too. Good work.
0 x