Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

S&W Victory: accuarcy for the dollar

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: S&W Victory: accuarcy for the dollar

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am

NCG, just curious- does your Victory seem to be very ammo sensitive? Obviously the CCI Pistol Match works REALLY good with it.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:52 am

As always ma'am impressive shooting, and thank you for the reminder that I need to dust off mine.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Cool gun and some great shooting as always.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Ditto, yes, it can be fussy about ammo, but mostly about functioning, not so much accuracy. As I said, the magazines takes careful loading. Some ammo brands tend to flip up out of line when in the mag more than others. Mine also has a relatively tight chamber, compared to smoother semi-autos. This is good for accuracy, but it can cause feeding issues with some ammo. I really do need to do more shooting with the Victory, though. Still pretty stiff in the action. Just that I have way too many guns to give any one a lot of use. I need to take a lesson from RR on that score. :)
1 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:48 pm

Yup. Last year I acquired way too many guns, to the point where quite a few of them are neglected.

I do, however, have a very accurate .22 target pistol that never gets forgotten, a Browning Challenger:
5156EC7B-1732-4DE0-8A51-B0EB690BCFC5.jpeg
5156EC7B-1732-4DE0-8A51-B0EB690BCFC5.jpeg (844.48 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:18 am

Those old Brownings are true classics, right there with the Colt Woodsman series. Very, very rare guns to find up for sale in our area.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Glad to hear S&W has a solid contender in the .22 semi-auto target pistol category.

I have a Ruger Mark I target. The factory trigger on it is phenomenal. FWIW the new Mark IV Rugers have one button take down as well. The triggers on the newer Marks don't compare to the one on mine. Maybe after many thousands of rounds they will smooth out, although I doubt they would break at the 2 1/2 pounds that mine does.

I agree that it takes some real skill to achieve the groups you are getting. I need to start working on bench rest skills with a pistol. I do fairly well with the standard two handed grip, but there are some things a good bench rest group can tell you that unsupported can't.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Clovis, back in the day of the Mark I, you could order one with a factory trigger job for a ridiculously low price. Actually had one with the box and papers from the mid 60s and it included a price list for these options. From memory, a set of optional walnut grips would set you back a whole six dollars. :)

I learned how to target shoot with an old Ruger Standard of an early 70s vintage. it was all I could afford at the time, as it was cheaper than most 22 handguns of that era, so wasn't expecting much. Didn't take me long to discover I had hit the jackpot with that one. Learned how to takedown a Ruger Mark with that one, too, so that's never been an issue for me. Have done a trigger mod on Ruger Marks for several friends and can completely disassemble on in my sleep.

Really have no interest in a Mark IV, then. The takedown feature is wasted on me, plus I don't like the fact that Ruger had to do some design changes to the action to accommodate it. The Mark IV is a different gun, not just a Mark III with a take down feature.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:20 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Those old Brownings are true classics, right there with the Colt Woodsman series. Very, very rare guns to find up for sale in our area.
Mine was very reasonable from a GB seller. Probably because there are two or three spots on it with a bit of pitting. The lgs near me has a much prettier one, but they want about $700 for it.

I like mine. Shoots as good as a Model 41 for a third of the price.
0 x