Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My new Henry All-Weather 44magnum

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

My new Henry All-Weather 44magnum

Post by ruhler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:43 am

Got my Henry All-Weather yesterday, this is my first leveraction rifle and only tried an Winchester Anniversity edition something shiny in 30-30 a few years back. Anyway applied for a a license about 3months ago and yesterday I recieved it, I picked up the rifle from the postoffice and went home to unpack it. It really looks good and its so small and handy, so as usual when I buy I gun I clean it before firing and of cource to learn how its built and works. And man the rifle was dirty, huge amount of copperresidue and gunpowder residue. The brasstube wasnt so pretty not so shiny dont know but should I polish it? Anyway I clean the bore with Shooters Choise mc7 and then some KG12 and finished off with some sweets 7,62 and some fp10 oil. And went to the range to testfire and since its like waistdeep with snow and pretty cold. I only shot at the 25meter range and had to adjust the buckhorn sights up (halfway up on the ramp) and the impact was hitting about 4inches to the left for me since i didnt have the right tools with me to adjust the windage I left it as it was.

Had some trouble with the feeding first (probably due to usererror) and it probably need some breakin and will get smoother after some rounds it got better and worked flawless last rounds. I shot around 60shots handloads offhand and got 2inch groups with 5shots 3-4 shots were about 1inch but always a flyer. Anyway pretty decent first time shooting the rifle with these buckhorn sights, I need some time getting use to it I actually need to learn how to aim with these kind of sights Im used to targetsights, might end up with a skinner sight but will give it some time and see how I like them.

Tried two handloads I use for targetpractice and they shot good as I see firing offhand, will try some more bullets when I dont need to shovel snow to get to the range.
These handloads was tried out offhand at 25meters.
1. Fiocchi SJP 240grain, loaded with 20grain of Vithavouri N110
2. Frontier CMJ 245grain, loaded with 20grain of Vithavouri N110

Anyway went home to clean the rifle again, and it took alot of work getting it clean alot of copperresiude guess the bore is a little rough or my .429 Frontier CMJ bullets gave me more residue. Anyway went to youtube and found a video how to adjust the windage on a henry, since I dont have a brasspunch I got innovated and used a ordinary punch and used a 9mm brasscase on it and it became a brasspunch ;)

Took some time to check all screws and tighten them and most of the screws was a little loose, so I made som use of my gunsmith bits from wheeler to get perfect fit on the screws and retighten the screws without overtighten. One thing I wonder where to grease/oil the action/bolt, im one of those guys that use minium of oil, I only use a drop of oil with a needlepoint on spots where its needed. Oil binds grit and grit grinds or get gummed up and things go bad when its cold, a click near a moose or a bear could be a disaster strange things happens when you hunting and you end up nose to nose with a grumpy animal. :)

Some Pictures:
The rifle at the range:

The target behind all snow:
Last edited by ruhler on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: My new Henry All-Weather 44magnum

Post by Steve51 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:38 am

Very nice lookin rifle! Envy the rifle but not the snow.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

CentFlHenry41
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CentFlHenry41 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:04 am

Nice read, thanks.
0 x
Uzi IMI Model A 9mm
Henry 41 Rem Mag
Alexander Arms 50 Beowulf
Colt Anaconda 4" 44 Mag
Baby Eagle IMI 9mm
Rock Island Ultra FS 10mm
Ruger Gp100 3" 357 Mag
S&W 10-7 2" 38 Spl
S&W Shield Performance Center 9mm

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:29 am

Today I went to the range again, equipped with the right tools to correct the windage adjustment.

Shot some nice 5shots series held around 2" groups at 25meters offhand, getting used to the sights, trigger and the rifle. It works great, however its a little rough in cycling after a while, its on the bolt just under the ejector guess it needs more breakin and perhaps a little more oil. Many of the screws on the rifle gets a little loose after shooting a while, is it common that you need to retighten the screws after a trip to the range? Dont know how hard I dare to tighten the screws I rather retighten them than overtighten and damage something. Its the stockscrew and the frontstock screws that get loose perhaps the shift in temperature from indoor to outdoor makes it loosen up?

We had some fun at the range with a ruger 454 casull, 7" 1911 45acp supertuned gun, glocks in 9mm and 40S&w.

Some targetresults, shooting 25meters offhand.

Getting there:

And last shot a flyer, probably me?

Pretty good, getting there.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:40 am

nice looking 44 .... our BBS 44 has quickly become one of our favorite long guns .... I'm sure that with practice you and your Henry will work together smoothly .... I grew up hunting in winter on the slopes of the highest mountain east of the Rockies and totally agree with the wisdom light oil applications .... looking forward to your future range and hunting reports .... I'd really enjoy hearing about hunting in your part of the world
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:31 am

Looks like the shooting you are doing is coming along really good to me. Those all weathers are really nice. I have one in a 45-70 and love how it handles. Im sure you will enjoy it. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Nice rifle! Nice shooting. One flyer with buckhorn sights is pretty normal I think.

Henry has some nice vids on the site on how to disassemble the rifles. There are a couple of spots I add a little dab of light white grease. On the lever where it inserts into the bolt is one. I lightly grease the bolt and work it a bit. Then wipe off the excess in any place I can that's exposed. A little extra oil till the rifle gets broken in is not a bad thing as long as you don't get excessive. They do get even better with use.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:06 am

Ive been shooting a little bit more today, the action feels alot smoother now. Went home cleaning the rifle and Ive never had a rifle that get so much copperfouling and screws shooks loose after 30rounds I have to retighten them but its another discussion. I took the bolt out and the coating on the bolt is a lot thinner close to gone than when it was new, and some wear is showing close to mirrorfinish at some spots so wondering is the material in the bolt somekind of stainless or is the coating needed for rustprotection and shouldnt wear off after like 150-200rounds and alot of repeating in front of the TV? Dont know if it shows well on the pictures but took some pictures on the bolt. Is this normal wear on a riflebolt like this?

0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 am

If the bolt is oxide 'blackened' you will experience wear on it as it is inevitable - its moving within the frame. However the long striations in the top picture would concern me the most. Have you looked inside the dream in the area that corresponds with those marks? Might be a protrusion or debris in that area.
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Mistered wrote:If the bolt is oxide 'blackened' you will experience wear on it as it is inevitable - its moving within the frame. However the long striations in the top picture would concern me the most. Have you looked inside the dream in the area that corresponds with those marks? Might be a protrusion or debris in that area.
That picture looks worse than it is, took some new photos this shows the wear more correctly the light made it worse than it is, I doublechecked it now and that wear can not be from repeating the firearm, only way to get that mark is when I taking the bolt out of the action. Its a little struggle to get the bolt out the last bit, I can move push/drag the bolt easy all the way like on a repeatingcycle with my fingers when holding the hammer down now. Its when I take the bolt out of the system the last inch of the frame that are rough. makes me wonder if the bolt is formed like carrot since there is no problem at all at the back of the bolt, or could it be the ejector pressing the bolt against the frame on the opposite side causing this. When I got the rifle I almost couldnt get the bolt out when I was doing a first cleaning.

I Really want to take the bolt out for cleaning, I kind of have to. look at these copperfouling after 30rounds :):
0 x