Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My new Henry All-Weather 44magnum

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: My new Henry All-Weather 44magnum

Post by JNG3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:35 pm

For feeding issues- run the lever like like your mad at it. Don't baby it. Most lever actions prefer the lever opened and closed briskly. As for copper fouling, well my 357 Big Boy has a rougher than I'd like bore as well. It will copper foul somewhat quickly. However it does not seem to lead up much at all. Go figure that one out. However I'm not going to bellyache about the roughness as it will consistently shoot sub 3" five shot groups at 100 yards. This was with the supplied factory sights. As have since d/t'ed the reciever for a Williams peep. Accuracy stayed the same but it is easier to acquire the target now. As for any marks on the bolt. All I can say is check for burrs. I have not had any screws come loose on mine. Try a product called Vibra-tite. It is similar to low strength blue Loctite but has even less hold strength. The type you want is the V-3. It basically gums up the threads so that minor shock and vibration does not loosen the fasteners.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:46 pm

From what i see on your pics the wear appears to be normal. Any gun with a round (or partially round) bolt will not show even wear and will most likely be on the sides or edges as the bolt does not move 100% straight within the frame and will 'high point' on certian areas and show more wear in these areas. As long as it is moving smoothly without any metal transfer or grinding it's probably ok however I would recommend the 'Gunslick' treatment I previously described on it for a while to really smooth it up.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:51 pm

Nice! I want one. I was considering one in .357 last summer, but a deal came up on something else. Now I'm wanting a .44. The all-weather Big Boy is a great looking gun. I have another Henry lever gun, and it took a while for it to "break in" and loosen up. Cycles great now. It helps if you are aggressive with the lever...move it like you mean it!
1 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 am

Its really Easy to understand why some has several Henrys, I really love shooting it and are still adapting to the buckhorn sights and leveraction in general. Will probably end up with a peepsight when the range goes out beyond 50yards. Thinking about making some leverwrap and riflesling with paracord since its a "modern" version of Henry I think its a suitable theme.

Will probably have to use some blue loctite on the screw on the front, will give it a go with some ordinary nailpolish see if its works. Not so fun when front swivel and frontstock getting loose after some rounds. Dont know how hard I dare to tighten the screws in front and the rear holding the stock.
0 x

BobGinVA
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BobGinVA » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:05 am

How fast are your loads going. This side of the pond, V. N110 is no where to be found (around here anyway...). As far as the copper build up...keep shooting the rifle as much as possible...if the accuracy falls off, then you'll know you need to "polish" the bore...otherwise, enjoy...shrps74
0 x