Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowgirl Corner: vintage classic 22s

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Cowgirl Corner: vintage classic 22s

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Actually made it into the 20s, today, so we hurried to the range to get some work done. Been changing sights around on this gun and that, so have quite a backlog of guns to get sighted in and checked out. No fancy showing off, today, with my usual shooting from a standing position. Nope, just basic shooting from the rest to adjust sights and check for accuracy before my hands got too cold. Will return another day (hopefully a warmer one) with these two classic beauties for some offhand fun. Both are classic all walnut and tool steel metal - no cheap anything - and both were made in the 40s.

Top gun is our 1946 vintage Marlin 39A. Have posted on this one several times, but what's new for this outing is the new Marble's tang sight I added. Those old Marlins prior to the mid 50s were factory drilled and tapped for tang sights, so why not add one? After all, a classic gun deserves a classic sight. Makes a great combo with the globe front I added, earlier.

Bottom gun is a recent find, and a very lucky find, considering the very reasonable price we paid. It's a Winchester Model 61 22 LR pump, made in 1941. The Model 61 was the last model in the series of the pre-64 rimfire pumps and like all vintage Winchester pumps, highly prized by old Winchester fans. It, like the Marlin 39A, is pure old school gun construction with the same quality construction. As for the action, the Model 61 can best be described as both bank vault solid, yet butter smooth. Doesn't get any better than this one in a pump rifle.

The Model 61, as with the Marlin 39A, also features take down construction for easy cleaning. Just loosen the bolt and the receiver slides off the action.

On the Model 61, no provision for mounting a scope. It, like the Marlin, however, is also drilled and tapped on the tang for a peep, but finding one of those 61 peep sights is almost Mission Impossible, now. If you are lucky enough to score one, they usual go for over $200. Figured the next best thing, then, was to add a Skinner barrel peep. Also changed out the tiny bead sight for a Skinner blade front sight.

So how did they shoot? No surprises, here. Both lived up to expectations. I did a quick sight-in job on the 39A, then handed it to Bill and let him go to work. He miscounted on this group, shooting four shots, instead of five, but figured this was all I need for a sight and accuracy check.

Figured the Model 61 would be at a disadvantage with a barrel mounted peep, compared to the Marlin's tang peep, but it showed it's stuff, too.

Gun manufacturing techniques have changed a lot since the 1940s - some for the better, some for the worse - but for me, a session with these vintage classic 22s provides a shooting experience that can't be duplicated with today's guns. Guess that's why they call them, classics. :)

7 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Cowgirl Corner: vintage classic 22s

Post by tractortad » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 pm

That Marlin sure looks good for a 72 yr old. Both beautiful old guns - like you said - classics.
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

NoFlyZone
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by NoFlyZone » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:24 pm

Very nice!! :)
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:43 pm

I am green with envy. :)
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Ma'am you are living the good life!
I would consider selling a kidney to get my hands on either one of those beauties. :mrgreen:
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:09 am

Two dandy classic .22's. It's great they've found a home with you, where they're truly appreciated.
0 x

TRock
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TRock » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Very nice rifles indeed.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks, folks. Believe it or not, after more than 40 years of shooting, the Winchester is actually my first ever pump rifle. Have owned many a pump shotgun, but never a pump rifle. Go figure.

Pump rifles have definitely declined in popularity over the years. There was a time when they were very popular. Definitely saw a lot more of them in use when I was a kid. Still see them, up here, in deer camps, but they're mostly carried by the older generation.

Here's an interesting note on the take down feature on both of these rifles. Both of them inherited that feature from previous models dating all the way back to the very first 22 LR rifles in the 1890s. For the Marlin, the succession started with the 1891 (one of Annie Oakley's favorites), then the 1892, then the 1897, to the 39, finally, the 39A. For the Winchester it started with the 1890, then the 1906, then finally the 61(hammerless) and the 62 (hammer).

Those early rifles were offered with a take down feature, not for packing, but for quick and easy cleaning. In those early days, 22 bullets were lubricated with a lubricant that would melt when the gun got too hot and then gum up the action. The easy takedown feature allowed the shooter to do a quick cleaning job and be back in business. Neat to have rifles that have this little piece of history, built in, even if the feature isn't needed much with today's ammo.
1 x

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 pm

I will give you $400 for both of them plus shipping. :)

All kidding aside, super nice rifles.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks for the offer, but, no. :)

Seriously, I actually made the mistake of selling off a few Marlins a couple years, back, and it really, really hurt. Worst gun decision I ever made. I'm in the process of getting those back, but in the meantime, I made a vow to never sell another on of our Marlins. The original Marlins have enormous sentimental value for me, given that my very first rifle was a Marlin. Funny how even after all these years, when I think "rifle", I still see that old Marlin in my head.
0 x