Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

We are now officially wimpy

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

We are now officially wimpy

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:16 am

We are now officially limp-wristing wimps here in Wisconsin. I just checked the website for our range today, and it says “closed due to cold.” Huh? This is Wisconsin. If we closed everything due to weather conditions here, we’d our state would only be open for two weeks in mid-July.

Hrmph.
2 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: We are now officially wimpy

Post by Abnermal » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 am

Here in Ohio it's cold- not as cold as Wisconson but doggone cold for these parts. Our outdoor range is open and there will be some hardy or crazy souls shooting today I'm sure. But not me!
1 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:33 am

I had a choice today. Shoot outside, at 35°, or shoot indoors at 55°. Guess which one won. ;)
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:07 am

My range is right below my house. It's always open, but at -25 this morning, I'm not ;) . If it was 25 above, I'd ring in the new year with a little shooting, but it'll have to wait for another important day.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:25 pm

Well, in my neck of the woods, if we get more than a dusting of snow, everything shuts down. Of course, we get more than a dusting about once every 3 - 5 years. It normally lasts about half a day. It's extremely rare for the temp to be below freezing for an entire 24 hour period.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Ditto, don't know if our range (Hodag Sports) has closed due to cold, because I haven't made a range trip in awhile because of the cold. Have done some air rifle shooting in the backyard in this sub-zero weather, but I'm lucky if I last even 20 minutes before my hands get too cold to even load pellets. Just can't see the sense of packing up all the gear, then driving to the range, for a 20 minute shooting session.

As I've mentioned, before, I'm no wimp. Have snow biked or cross country skid every day this month, but those are sports were I'm working hard and generating plenty of heat. Shooting is NOT such a sport. Shoot almost, daily, now, but it's all indoors.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:49 pm

They rarely close the National Forest (well except sometimes for fires) but I draw the line on shooting in excessive cold. Last winter a friend of mine and I went shooting one day at one of our favorite spots and after four wheeling to get there (about 2' of snow) and setting up a table - we shot for about 20 minutes and called it quits ! It was sunny but only about 20 degrees and that is just too cold for it to be enjoyable!
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:04 pm

What’s this we stuff, pale face? I will be out in the field all this next week hunting deer in Nebraska. Temperatures projected at average of 10°. And Lord knows what the Windchill will be.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:04 pm

God bless us all, and protect us.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:48 pm

just spoke on the phone with one of my wife's sister-in-laws in eastern South Dakota ... the actual temp out there was a -24 .... just thinking about it motivated me to turn up the heat at our home in North Caolina .. :!:
0 x