Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report: its been awhile

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Range Report: its been awhile

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 pm

I've made plans to go shooting many times but for some reason just didn't go but today was different. The first major difference is I didn't make plans but Miss Evelyn had the day off and at the last minutes I asked her if she wanted to go shooting. She said yes.

We shot 50 yard targets at 25 yards. I wanted to make it fun and wanted her to do good so her score was much higher than it should have been. But it wasn't really fair as the rifle was sighted for me and she was shooting low. So we measured the spread instead of counting the score.

My target is on the left and is ten rounds. You can see I had two good stings going. Miss Evelyn had a good string going also and if you eliminate two of her rounds her group was about the same as mine which was 1.17 inches.
DSCN5729.JPG
DSCN5729.JPG (3.96 MiB) Viewed 2560 times
We started out standing but soon realized neither of us was very steady. Then we tried kneeling and was better but not by much. Next we tried sitting but sitting on the cold ground was uncomfortable so we used an ammo can to sit on.
DSCN5713.JPG
DSCN5713.JPG (7.31 MiB) Viewed 2560 times
I think she had fun and I know I did.
DSCN5722.JPG
DSCN5722.JPG (5.85 MiB) Viewed 2560 times
The rifle was a Henry Small Game Carbine in .22LR and had a front Lyman Globe and a rear Skinner receiver mount with a Steven's 3-hole peep. The ammo was Aguila HV shorts.
7 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Range Report: its been awhile

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Good to see you back at the range. However....coffee cup for scale please next time....it's difficult to judge the size of things.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Ya no coffee in there whats up with that. No pictures of Gene at all we need more pictures. Especially from a guy who loves pictures
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:42 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Good to see you back at the range. However....coffee cup for scale please next time....it's difficult to judge the size of things.
BigAl52 wrote:Ya no coffee in there whats up with that. No pictures of Gene at all we need more pictures. Especially from a guy who loves pictures
Can't get away with anything anymore. :( ;) :D
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 pm

No mercy from us. How are we supposed to judge group size?
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:15 am

great to see you once again having a good time while making lasting memories ..... have missed your range reports and am most certainly looking forward to seeing more ....
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:59 am

It sounds like you both had a great time, SH. Any range time is good range time. ;)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:44 am

ditto1958 wrote:No mercy from us. How are we supposed to judge group size?
Next time I'll get a gallon cup and tell you its a 16 ounce. :lol:
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:13 am

I'll add to all those "great to see you back", comments. Really, it's just not the same without one of your range reports, Gene.

The heck with group size on an outing like that. Should be all about fun and it looks like it sure was. Also, I find kneeling to be only slightly more stable then offhand, too, and sitting to be almost as good as a rest.

Miss Evelyn is lovely, by the way. Good to have company when you shoot. Wouldn't be the same for me without Bill on a range trip.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks Joanie, it is sometimes difficult to do the same things I use to do. So many things remind me of Donna but I must move on with my life. Shooting is one of the things that is the hardest.

After Donna passed away I found myself invited to neighborhood dinner parties and somehow Miss Evelyn was always seated next to me. She lives ten minutes away on foot but I had only met her a of couple times. She is a hair dresser and also cuts a few men's hair. She now cuts mine.

During the winter and spring when I was in her chair we talked about hiking and mountaineering. She is an avide hiker but had never done any mountaineering. We started hiking together and even did some Class Four climbing. Then one day I asked her to dinner and the rest is history. All the neighbors and her three beautiful daughters approve of us dating.

I recently bought a new Subaru Outback and Raindrop (upper case because it's the model name) trailer which I will be picking up late next week in WI. We plan on driving highway 101 down the Oregon coast and camping in January and I've made reservations at Washington State Parks for next summer. I really miss hitting the road in my last teardrop trailer. It is now up on building blocks under an open shed in the back yard. Great place to take an afternoon summer nap. 8-)

The old trailer was about the cheapest one sold back in 2007 and the new one is about the most expensive one being built today. I ordered it with every option except a TV. I paid $4,500 for the old one and about eight times that for the new one. The trailers are numbered like Airstreams and my number is 931. I'm having t-shirts and hoodies made that reads 931 Captain/dishwasher and 931 Navigator/chef. I get to be the Caption. :lol:

Back to the thread subject; we plan on shooting more and I'll be setting up a CZ Youth rifle for her. She hasn't shot much but her father was a Drill Instructor in the Army so she was always around firearms. I think she is a natural for it and seems to understand trigger control, breathing and heartbeat. Sight picture and a cheek weld is the hardest thing for her to repeat.

I think this thread is the one that takes me from Range Reporter: Six Shooter to Henry Repeater. :D
0 x