Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

It all started with a phone call to my dad...

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

It all started with a phone call to my dad...

Post by DsGrouse » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:47 am

In short, my parents are planning a visit from Oregon sometime this spring—Dad's planning on bringing out a few guns to shoot on the range.

We got to talking, and he convinced me, nay, twisted my little arm, and forced me to pick up an LTT px4 Compact Carry (eta is about six weeks,) a Taurus tx22 competition, and while looking at ammo prices; I ran across an SW99 subcompact.

First up the SW99
There isn't really much new in the firearms world.
A few years back, the Sig 365 took the gun community by storm. It was "revolutionary," or so they claimed. The step up to the 365 is the 365 Xl, which has a slightly longer grip and barrel length.
That's when the 365's size stops being revolutionary. Nearly 20 years earlier, we had the SW99 and Walther p99, among others.
I'd not been looking for another pistol; I'd just ordered an LTT px4 Comptact Carry from LTT. But, as a gun guy, I couldn't pass this up.

The SW99 and P99 had a number of unique features at the time of their release. Interchangeable backstraps, a grip designed to be ergonomic, smoothed edges and rounded corners. These features might not have been the first of their kind, but the way Smith and Wesson and Walther implemented them on their guns was, in their totality, unique.

Size-wise, this SW99 Sub compact holds the same 10 rounds as the 365 while being as large as a 365 XL. The magazine capacity has more correlation to Clinton's mag capacity ban than it does SW or Walther's ability to put a few more rounds in the mag.
It is a bit wider than the 365 XL, but the height and length are comparable.

The DA/SA striker-fired mechanism of the sw99 and p99 is another relic of the times. The DA trigger was a long, smooth pull of just over 7 lbs. The single action averaged a hair over 4 lbs.

One final feature that younger shooters might recognize is the decocking button that Canik has incorporated into many of its designs. This allows the user to decock the striker safely if desired.

So, how does it shoot? Well, it was 28 degrees outside when I shot it yesterday. In the first target, you'll see two ten-round groups. One mag with the pinky extension and one without. The second photo is of a 20-round group with both mags.
The gun world has come a long way, but genuine from the ground up, innovation is rare. What I see in my 365XL is the refinement of 20 years of research and development. Is it better than the SW99? In some ways, I suppose it is. Is it worth more than double the SW99 price?

The ammo for this little spring get-together. We pooled our resources and ordered up some ammo for our spring shoot-athon. The problem is I Ran out of room in the safe.
How mad will the wife be when she goes looking for her spring curtains and tablecloths?

My current standard 22lr training pistol Sig p226 with a p220 22lr conversion slide. It's a good gun, and it shoots reliably. But it doesn't have a mount for a RDO, and my eyes have a hard time focusing on the front sight. I've updated its mags with Taylor tactical springs, baseplate and followers. They hold 16 rounds each.

My dad swore up and down that I needed to give the Taurus tx22 competition a try. So, after sending me a GB-listed gun at a steal, I caved.

Of course, I had to pick up an RDO, a pack of six sixteen-round mags, and eight +5 round extensions from Tandom Cross. I've had it out now and put almost 900 rounds through it. A couple of the mags are still a little sticky, as the +5 anti-tilt follower needs to work in. Aside from that minor issue, the gun runs stupidly well.

Even when I was using Irons, I had little issue clearing my Know Your Limits target tree. With the RDO it is even easier. The gun runs, is more than reasonably accurate, and holds 20-21 rounds (the gun came with 3 15-round mags, and I bought 6 16-round mags with +5 extensions."

I am well and truly impressed with this little gem of a 22lr plinker.
0 x