Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

FINALLY...

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
SargeRN
Tenderfoot
United States of America

FINALLY...

Post by SargeRN » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:25 pm

Finally, life and weather cooperated and was able to get to the range with my new Henry case hardened side gate rifle .357/.38 Special. What a SWEET rifle to shoot! Put 3 different .357 158 gr loads from 3 different manufacturers with no issues of any kind! This is going to be a learning curve as I have not shot a rifle with open sights in ??? years! Had cataract surgery and lenes replacement in both eyes last August and September and now do not wear glasses except for cheaters. Open sights are interesting in that without my cheaters I can see the front sight and the target but not the rear sight so well. With my cheaters I can see the front and rear sights but not the target!! Last 3 rounds, at 25 yards, were just about an inch horizontally. Not bad for 74+ year old eyes!
As I said I LIKE THIS RIFLE!!!!
Sarge
6 x
I was a soldier, I am a soldier, I will always be a soldier..

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: FINALLY...

Post by Mr. Neutron » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:38 am

Glad to hear you're likin' that rifle, SargeRN!!! Sounds like it's gonna be a shooter. I really like the looks of those color case hardened rifles. I wanted one really bad, but couldn't find one in the right caliber locally. I "settled" for a brass framed .30-30, and it turns out it shoots pretty well.

After my second eye's cataract/lens replacement surgery in August, my sight focus is pretty much identical to yours: a nice crisp front sight focus, an ever-so-slight blur of the target, and since I use a peep sight, a VERY BLURRY circular shadow kinda deal I look through. For a 68 yr. old set of eyes, it all works out for me.
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:44 am

I was having the same sight issues as you with my BBS 357. That's why I finally decided to scope it.
Glad you were able to get out to the range.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:54 am

Yup, another happy 357 shooter. Glad to hear it Sarge. On the sight issue, I highly recommend the rear peep. It removes the focus on the rear sight. You just look 'through ' it. Then focus on target and front sight. Might be perfect for you. Good luck and enjoy that sweet rifle.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:04 am

Peep sight like Fish mentioned or red dot sight. I really like the reflex red dots on rifles. Burris, Cyelee, and there is some others that are great. Cyelee makes one also in a green dot I really like.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:17 am

I have the Henry .357 brass, and like Mark, put a scope on it, same as Mark's. You're going to really enjoy that Henry.
0 x