Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Upgrade - A crossing...

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Range Upgrade - A crossing...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:44 pm

I have my nice 90 yard range at the new farm in Oklahoma, but it has a few issues. It is crossed in two locations by seasonal creek beds... which are dry 90% of the year, but they have carved out a significant depression in the range layout. I am NOT whining, they were there when the range was laid out, but this was the best layout for the shade, the backdrop for the berm, and the natural windbreaks. The wind DOES come whipping down the plains. BUT, this deep drop at 10 yards from the berm, does put a crimp in the natural 15 yard line. to shoot 15 yards, I set the target frame at about 20 yards from the berm and shoot at about 35 yards back. Works, but not perfect.

00 original Condition.jpg
00 original Condition.jpg (491.83 KiB) Viewed 806 times

We had the South Orchard crossing done last week, and there was a huge dirt pile created. Probably two to four dump truck loads. Miss Tina is the one who suggested building up the creekbed with a culvert using some of that dirt. So, a 24" x 20' culvert was obtained.

01 culvert.jpg
01 culvert.jpg (563.31 KiB) Viewed 806 times

We spent a couple hours with the tractor prepping the location to get the proper grade, digging out the creek bed to get the culvert properly positioned, and then dropped 'er in. Then it was time to start moving dirt. This was going to be a long process as I wanted not only to build a decent crossing but to bring the crossing up level and then fade to the level of the decreasing grade. Plenty of dirt.

02 The Pile.jpg
02 The Pile.jpg (498.77 KiB) Viewed 806 times
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Range Upgrade - A crossing...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:52 pm

Miss T and I took turns making the runs from the pile of dirt to the culvert position building up the base and then packing dirt in place. It's a long run, probably 500 to 700 yards each way. If you look closely in a couple of the pics you'll see. If you haven't run a tractor over rough ground, you can't know the fatigue you build up in a healthy body doing so... it beat me up pretty good, but I took my turns. Felt good to be out of the recliner and working on the range. After the first hour or two we could see progress.

03 making progress.jpg
03 making progress.jpg (624.63 KiB) Viewed 805 times

A look from the side shows the process... and if you look over the culvert in the distance you can see that dirt pile and get a feel for the distance we have to move the dirt.

04 side view.jpg
04 side view.jpg (614.63 KiB) Viewed 805 times

Miss T is happy to run the tractor, sometimes I think she makes up things to do on the darn thing.

05 Miss T taking a turn.jpg
05 Miss T taking a turn.jpg (624.66 KiB) Viewed 805 times

We were getting low on diesel and you don't want to run the dang thing dry. First thing in the morning we'll fill up two five gallon cans and hit it again. This crossing will extend back 30 yards or more to get the slope I need. I'll post pics when it's done, and in progress pics as I think about it. It's not really going to be a build along. Pics of dirt aren't exciting. Considering the prep work we had to do first, I think we made pretty good progress for the first day.

06 good progress.jpg
06 good progress.jpg (601.96 KiB) Viewed 805 times
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:01 am

Good thinking by Miss T. Excellent use of extra dirt and i can appreciate your comments about running the tractor from the pile to the project. Our community road is in terrible condition and it’s too expensive to have it re-paved so we use gravel to fill in the potholes. Similar to your project it’s a long run between the pile of gravel left by the dump truck and the potholes and I feel that running in between seems like time not well spent. Gotta be done tho.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:45 am

IF I had a good sized dump trailer I'd fill it and haul the dirt to the culvert, dump it and push it into place with the box blade or the bucket, but I can't justify the purchase of the trailer. I don't mind the work, it gets me out of the recliner and we can watch the progress of our project. Once we save the money and get the pond done, we'll have a LOT more dirt for the range project. He'll pile some on the range side, then put the rest on the west side of the pond dam.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:37 pm

Range dried up a bit and I was able to get out this morning and work on the range crossing a bit. I put a bit more dirt on the BERM side of the range, and then on the uprange side and using the bucket packed and smoothed them both. With what Miss T had done after my last turn on Wednesday I was able to drive the tractor partway onto the crossing to work the smoothing, then actually drive across the culvert toward the end of the session.

A view from the Berm looking uprange....

07 day two from berm uprange.jpg
07 day two from berm uprange.jpg (603.01 KiB) Viewed 749 times

A view looking downrange toward the berm...

08 day two downrange.jpg
08 day two downrange.jpg (414.14 KiB) Viewed 749 times

A view looking at the crossing from the side. If you look hard, you might be able to see that the huge dirt pile is looking smaller. ;)

09 day two side view.jpg
09 day two side view.jpg (715.42 KiB) Viewed 749 times

I came out for another hour or so just before dark, but didn't take pictures. I'll work more tomorrow and get some shots at the end of the session. There will be some additional build up and length, then some packing and work from the side around the actual culvert to firm up the shoulders. We'll have to get some rock or rip rap to pack around the entry and exit to delay erosion.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:31 pm

Did a bit of work before dark last night and got it nearly level.

10 nearly level.jpg
10 nearly level.jpg (631.9 KiB) Viewed 727 times

Worked on packing it down and smoothing, got it pretty smooth again, but will be adding more to the top to bring it up another six inches to a foot.

11 smoothed.jpg
11 smoothed.jpg (660.54 KiB) Viewed 727 times

Tina took the tractor into the north pasture and scooped up some of the large natural rock in a hillside and said, "who needs RipRap?" We'll keep adding the natural rock until we get it secured. The small stuff we can load and unload by hand, the larger pieces she scoops into the bucket and we slide out and position just before they fall. :)
Attachments
12 natural rock.jpg
12 natural rock.jpg (586.81 KiB) Viewed 727 times
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:32 pm

I want to add more dirt over the culvert before we pack rock around the top....
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:41 pm

This morning, my goal was to work on the berm while I let the two days of work on the culvert dry a bit before packing more dirt on top. Then I'll pack that and add more to it.

To start, I cut a notch into the face of the existing berm, about two buckets wide, and two feet deep, from ground level to the top. I placed that dirt on the top of the left side of the berm and let it slide down to fill. That left side was a bit thin and was needing attention anyway. Then, I placed a few old tires vertically in that slot running up to the top. Too bad no one was filming as they all had nasty old water in them. :evil: When one of them dropped into place a jet of that skanky water shot straight out and soaked my right side. :twisted: :o I was NOT happy. :?

improving the berm tires 231113.jpg
improving the berm tires 231113.jpg (445.27 KiB) Viewed 727 times

I spent the next ninety minutes placing buckets of soil on / in those tires, then just placing the dirt at the top of the berm and letting it filter down to fill in the notch I had cut that morning. After a couple hour's work, we were back even and the berm had become a bit fuller all the way across and taller as well. I'll continue to work on the berm and the crossing.

There is a smaller seasonal creek in front of the range house that will get an 12 or 18 inch culvert when this section is completed. Not as critical, but it will get the same attention to detail. Luckily, the creek run directly across the range and not at an angle so a 10' culvert will likely be all we'll need. Half the cost rather than the 20'.
Attachments
improving the berm recovered 231113.jpg
improving the berm recovered 231113.jpg (562.84 KiB) Viewed 727 times
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:04 pm

Lots of great work there BM! I had to put in couple those things in along one of my trails where run off ditch would cross it. I used the plastic kind and covered with packed gravel so I can get my small tractor over it.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:11 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:04 pm
Lots of great work there BM! I had to put in couple those things in along one of my trails where run off ditch would cross it. I used the plastic kind and covered with packed gravel so I can get my small tractor over it.
Thanks, I've needed to do it for a while, but didn't have the fill. When we had the creek widened at the South fence to reduce the power of the flow against the state road, we ended up with that giant pile of dirt, so it was a given. :D
0 x