Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another single shot workout, with a nice surprise.

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Another single shot workout, with a nice surprise.

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:39 pm

Been hard to find nice weather for a trip to the range of late, but today wasn't too bad. Got a couple of single shot projects done and was pleased with the results.

First project was ditching the red dot on the Ruger No 3 single shot in 45-70 and switching to a scout scope setup that was a bit experimental. I've been using a Skinner dovetail barrel mount for the red dot which provides a short section of weaver rail for a small red dot, but thought it might also work for mounting a 2x pistol scope out on the barrel if I used only one ring. Yeah, one ring might be iffy given the recoil of the 45-70, but the mount itself is bedded right into the rear sight dovetail, so it's probably more secure than a standard mount that is bolted to the barrel. Here it is.

So far, so good after one box of 45-70 as far as the scope staying put. I do much prefer the scope on the Ruger both for looks and performance. Once I got it dialed in, pretty easy to pour those big 405 grain bullets into the 3" bull at 50 yards.

Next up was the surprise. This is my TC Encore pistol with a 15" factory Encore 22 LR barrel I bought over the summer. It wears a Simmons 2.5-7x pistol scope. The bipod is a Harris.

Now, the Encore has no firing pin selector, so you can't switch back and forth between rimfire and center fire barrels as per the Contender by moving a selector. Nope, when TC brought out the Encore in 1996, it was strictly centerfire, only. So how can you shoot a rimfire barrel on an Encore?

Over the course of the years, shortly before TC was bought out by S&W, TC came up with an ingenious way to shoot rimfire barrels on the Encore. Their solution was to make the barrel in two pieces. The back half of the barrel was drilled a bit off center compared to the usual Encore centerfire barrels so that the Encore firing pin would hit the rim of a 22 LR (or 17 HMR or 22 mag). The front half of the barrel was then attached with the bore perfectly centered, just like any other barrel.

Now this particular barrel has been something of a project since I bought it. Right away, I had trouble when trying to extract better quality match ammo because the chamber was too rough. Okay, I polished the chamber and problem solved. This was to be just a practice barrel for shooting the Encore, anyway. I had no expectations of it being a match barrel as per the actual match barrels you can buy for the Contender. Finally took it to the range for a serious accuracy test. Was not prepared for this, though. Best group, here, but the others were all still right at half inch or less. Very consistent shooter with no pesky flyers.

That puts this barrel right there with my very expensive Anschutz rifles, so, yeah, a very nice surprise for a barrel that took some TLC to get running. I do love my single shots, both rifle and pistol.
8 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Another single shot workout, with a nice surprise.

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:51 pm

I like the way you mounted the scope on the 45-70 single shot! Wonder how that would look on my High Wall 45-70? Great shooting with that beast too!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:16 pm

Thanks, forty. I've used 2x pistol scopes as scout scopes on other rifles. They work very well as scout scopes. Since I added that leather recoil pad, I really had to use a pistol scope with the extra long eye relief. The add on recoil pad really added a lot of length to the stock. Even just using trap door loads, that little rifle really slaps my shoulder. Not sure I'd even want to use a rifle scope even if I could mount one of the No. 3.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:32 pm

Nice shooting NCG and again Im amazed at your on going shooting with the beast. 357 in a rifle is about all I care to shoot anymore.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:34 pm

Nice shooting with both there NCG, I like your nice little surprise there, that's cool.
Also an interesting fact about the two piece barrels.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:21 am

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I must be a little crazy to still be shooting the big boomers, but I do enjoy the challenge and, of course, the tradition of shooting a 45-70 is pretty special.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:35 am

Gotta do whatcha love.
The only 45-70 I ever shot was the FIL's Marlin.
But it was plagued with the dreaded jam, so it went down the road.
I now own a pair of 444s, those are big boomers enough for this ole fella. ;)

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:25 am

I used to shoot the triple 4, too, both in a Marlin and even in an Encore pistol. The 444 is a great cartridge. Deserves to be much more popular. Would have been, too, if Marlin hadn't decided to add the 45-70 to their lever guns after introducing the 444.
1 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:06 pm

NCG I'm surprised that scope doesn't want to teeter totter with a single point mount but from the looks of your target it's obviously not doing that. Good shooting!
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:27 pm

Nice surprise on the rimfire. Can you explain the barrel offset again? My pea brain isn’t grasping it.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater