Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

More Ruger 44 mag work, the Super Redhawk

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

More Ruger 44 mag work, the Super Redhawk

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:20 pm

Earlier this spring, I found a 2000 vintage Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag with very little sign of use. Given these are hard to find these days and given I've had a couple of these Ruger SRHs in the past and given the Super RH has always been the most comfy 44 mag for me to shoot, well, I brought it home.

More recently, I added a red dot, switched to Hogue rubber grips and then took the Super Red Hawk to the range for its first workout, shooting Mag Tech 240s.

After getting the red dot sighted in and a few more shots at 25 yards to reacquaint myself with this admittedly, uh, clubby tank of a 44, I pushed out to 50 yards. Needed to dial in the red dot a bit more, than did an accuracy potential group of 5 shots. That gave me a roughly 2" group or a bit less, which is right there with other Super Redhawks I've used with a red dot. Very pleased.

Still needed to do my usual offhand work, but by this time I was getting a bit tired, so rather than use my usual full standing offhand position, I just sat at the bench and did my shooting, but without using a rest. Did pull one, but will do better next time. Okay, I still have a little ways to go to get back in 44 mag shape. Hey, this ain't like shooting 38s. :)

Some of you know through my other posts that I also shoot the other Ruger 44 mag, the Ruger Super Blackhawk. Which one do I prefer? No doubt to my eye which one wins the beauty contest. It's not even close to this old cowgirl's eye. Yup, the Blackhawk 44 is the clear winner, The Blackhawk also wins in the handling department and given I shoot mostly offhand, the Blackhawk is still my preference. Whenever I just want to shoot a lot of 44 mag, that tank of a Super Redhawk just soaks up the recoil, though. And it's pretty darn accurate to boot.
6 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: More Ruger 44 mag work, the Super Redhawk

Post by daytime dave » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:50 pm

Those are two beautiful Rugers you have there. The Super Redhawk sure is big and beefy. I'll bet it soaks up plenty of the recoil.

Very nice off hand shooting too.

I had my 629 out recently as a few friends wanted to shoot the magnum. Of all, the woman liked it better than the guys. Go figure....
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:57 pm

That is great shooting with a standard 44 Mag load at 50 yds. NCG! About the looks of the Super Redhawk...well looks like Ruger took a piece of barrel and shoved it into a nice Ruger Alaskan. Never understood why they did it that way and yes I go along with the Blackhawk vote.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:54 pm

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, the SRH always reminded me of a gun that looks like it was designed by a plumber. I think the Alaskan is nothing more than a SRH without a barrel past that first section.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:55 pm

As always ma’am your skill with shootin irons amazes me. Yep the Blackhawk wins the beauty contest. The SRH designed by a plumber cracked me up. Now I can’t unsee it.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:00 pm

Wonder how many were cut down to Alaskan size? Not beating up on it too much as they are great shooting revolvers.
0 x