Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big price increase for local range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Big price increase for local range

Post by daytime dave » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:14 pm

I've been a member of my local range since I moved to my current location, three years now. I still have not set foot on the range yet. The dues are under $40.00 each year. I use the back yard when I can. I'm thinking about having some dirt moved around like Sir Henry and having a proper range at my home. For now, the side of the hill works well.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:11 pm

The weather is perfect for me to get my range going. My son and I will be making the trip up north next Saturday to get the railroad tie wall put in place. He will haul the trailer with the ties and I’ll haul my tractor to lift them in place. I’m planning to use the method the Brokenolemarine suggested using rebar to lock the ties together. I’ll take some pictures and post them next week. Slinging lead baby!
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:48 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:11 pm
The weather is perfect for me to get my range going. My son and I will be making the trip up north next Saturday to get the railroad tie wall put in place. He will haul the trailer with the ties and I’ll haul my tractor to lift them in place. I’m planning to use the method the Brokenolemarine suggested using rebar to lock the ties together. I’ll take some pictures and post them next week. Slinging lead baby!
Shoot! ;) Yeah. What kind of distance will you be able to squeeze out it?

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:40 am

Vaquero wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:48 pm
Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:11 pm
Shoot! ;) Yeah. What kind of distance will you be able to squeeze out it?

RP
Probably out to 150 yards or so. The area I plan to put my target stand in is recessed in some trees. I’ll have to see how the shadows affect the targets but the stand is portable so I can move it as needed. Same for the bench as it’s portable too. Should be more than enough since I’ve decided to join you offhand plinkers and do most of my shooting that way. I’ve spent years punching tiny groups into paper even out to 600 yards. Now my fun will be ringing steel and knocking bowling pins over offhand with both handguns and lever action carbines.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:22 pm

Sounds like a great plan Hatch! Love just plinking around from 10-50 yds.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:24 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:22 pm
Sounds like a great plan Hatch! Love just plinking around from 10-50 yds.
Yeah that is going to be fun. Forgot I have a meeting on Saturday so my son and I will be heading up on Sunday. We should be able to get some shooting in after the work is done.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:21 am

Finally got up to the property yesterday to put the range in. First we had to cut a dozen small trees down to get the backstop where I wanted it. Then after leveling the dirt we placed the first tie. I was able to drill two 3/8” holes in it to use rebar to anchor it to the ground. Then the second tie was also drilled to use the rebar to tie it to the bottom tie. At this time I really understood BrokenoleMarine’s telling me I needed to use a hammer drill. I didn’t have one and decided not to buy one and use my little DeWalt 20v. Jokes on me, that little drill didn’t do the job so we gave up on connecting the ties with rebar. So once we got six of ten ties in place the wall started to lean backwards due to the soft soil. Thankfully I had used two pressure treated 2x4’s to stack the RR ties on so we used those to support the rear of the wall. I had brought four 8’ T posts along with the idea of putting them in front and back of the wall and tying them together with wire. Two of those posts were no match for the weight of the ties leaning backwards so I was thankful I had brought the 2x4’s along. I may do some additional reinforcements later but for now it’s standing strong and steady.

The first load of ties and tools heading up after clearing the trees.

IMG_4912.jpeg
IMG_4912.jpeg (6.42 MiB) Viewed 80 times

The first three ties in place

IMG_4918.jpeg
IMG_4918.jpeg (3.82 MiB) Viewed 80 times

The next three ties and ladders.

IMG_4919.jpeg
IMG_4919.jpeg (6.6 MiB) Viewed 80 times

Six ties in place and the Great Wall wobble has begun. :lol:

IMG_4921.jpeg
IMG_4921.jpeg (6.21 MiB) Viewed 80 times

We placed two more ties for a total of 8 out of 10 and then drove the T posts in. About now a neighbor new to the area stopped by to introduce himself. Great timing as we were getting ready to place the last two ties and were wondering how best to do this with two guys. He offered to help so he and my son moved the ties as I operated the tractor and placed them in a good place for them to add them to the wall. Two 6 foot + guys moving the ties and the stubby 5’9” operator in the seat. :lol: Here is the Great Wall of Onion Creek in place.

IMG_4922.jpeg
IMG_4922.jpeg (7.95 MiB) Viewed 80 times
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 am

Next up was to get the shooting fun put in place. Both my shooting bench and target stand are portable so I can easily change the distance. First may son sighted in his open sight AR at 50 and then his newly “won in a raffle” Savage 22 semi-auto at 25. Then I moved the stand to 10 to do a function check of a new ammo I plan to use for woods carry in a 9mm. I did shoot my Henry 327 at 50 and off the bench with a scope it excelled as usual. I also killed one of those bowling pins too. We were very limited on time so I didn’t get to practice any off hand shooting but sure will next time. All and all it was a very successful day with the range construction and the shooting.

The fun stuff, still need to get my gong in place.

IMG_4923.jpeg
IMG_4923.jpeg (7.38 MiB) Viewed 79 times

My left handed son shooting his AR at 50 yards.

IMG_4925.jpeg
IMG_4925.jpeg (7.36 MiB) Viewed 79 times

Adam shooting his Savage 22 at 25 yards for sight in.

IMG_4926.jpeg
IMG_4926.jpeg (7.71 MiB) Viewed 79 times

I didn’t take a pic of the target stand at 10 yards but this five shot group is what I shot from my CZ 75B 9mm. I did a function accuracy test with this G9 Woodsman ammo and I’m very happy with the results. More testing is in order as I plan to use this pistol as my woods carry gun in the future. I sold my 10mm I used to carry and it’s looking like this CZ might be a good replacement.

IMG_4927.jpeg
IMG_4927.jpeg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 79 times

IMG_4928.jpeg
IMG_4928.jpeg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 75 times

Sadly we needed to load up and head home as it was getting late and home is 90 minutes away for me and longer than than for my son. But my wife and I are planning to take the RV up there in a week or two and spend several days. First trip to “shooting camp” :lol:
Last edited by Hatchdog on Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:43 am

I remember RR ties. Used alot of them in landscaping back when I worked construction. I dont think I could even pick one up now but I have loaded a few by hand on flatbed trucks. Ah the smell of creosote when done was always wonderful.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:47 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 am
Next up was to get the shooting fun put in place. Both my shooting bench and target stand are portable so I can easily change the distance. First may son sighted in his open sight AR at 50 and then his newly “won in a raffle” Savage 22 semi-auto at 25. Then I moved the stand to 10 to do a function check of a new ammo I plan to use for woods carry in a 9mm. I did shoot my Henry 327 at 50 and off the bench with a scope it excelled as usual. I also killed one of those bowling pins too. We were very limited on time so I didn’t get to practice any off hand shooting but sure will next time. All and all it was a very successful day with the range construction and the shooting.

The fun stuff, still need to get my gong in place.

IMG_4923.jpeg

My left handed son shooting his AR at 50 yards.

IMG_4925.jpeg

Adam shooting his Savage 22 at 25 yards for sight in.

IMG_4926.jpeg

I didn’t take a pic of the target stand at 10 yards but this five shot group is what I shot from my CZ 75B 9mm. I did a function accuracy test with this G9 Woodsman ammo and I’m very happy with the results. More testing is in order as I plan to use this pistol as my woods carry gun in the future. I sold my 10mm I used to carry and it’s looking like this CZ might be a good replacement.

IMG_4927.jpeg
Sadly we needed to load up and head home as it was getting late and home is 90 minutes away for me and longer than than for my son. But my wife and I are planning to take the RV up there in a week or two and spend several days. First trip to “shooting camp” :lol:
What 10mm did you sell Hatch?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55