Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Beating the Heat - July 2nd Handgun Shoot

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Travlin
Cowboy

Re: Beating the Heat - July 2nd Handgun Shoot

Post by Travlin » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:38 am

Did you get a factory target with either of your Pythons? I still have the one that came with my old model Trooper 357.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:18 am

Understand completely. With the crazy prices of revolvers anymore Im more than ever reluctant to turn loose of 1500.00 cash for one. Im currently looking at getting a double action 357. 686”s and GP100’s fetching 900 to 1k
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:55 am

Travlin wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:38 am
Did you get a factory target with either of your Pythons? I still have the one that came with my old model Trooper 357.
My first pythons were a matched pair, sequentially serially numbered, purchased in the early 80s when I reenlisted in the Corps. A few years afterwards my ex presented me with a new daughter. The pythons were :cry: sold to pay for crib, changing table, stroller, playpen, and all the rest. I kept the blued diamondback. The python and diamondback I shot yesterday were recently acquired from an old friend thinning his collection. Any factory targets I had from my earlier guns were stolen or destroyed when bonded movers tore thru all the firearms related boxes looking for guns when we made a military move cross country. I moved the guns, ammo, and jewelry in the car. :twisted: But, all the original factory boxes/cases were gone on the other end.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:13 am

I am very sorry that the movers were greedy crooks. At least you have the revolvers. They say that Colts don't stay in time etc. My Trooper was bought used in 1969 and after learning reloading with it and shooting many thousands of rounds, it is still tight and accurate .It has the same insides as the Python on the same frame sans the ventilated rib.One thing was that after shooting many many rounds a .38 spcl .reloads in military cases it never got the ridge in the cylinder and I could shoot the longer 357 loads without cleaning the chambers. The dealer that sold it to me told me to size my cast bullets to .356 and that has worked very well for all these years.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:40 am

Travlin wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:13 am
I am very sorry that the movers were greedy crooks. At least you have the revolvers. They say that Colts don't stay in time etc. My Trooper was bought used in 1969 and after learning reloading with it and shooting many thousands of rounds, it is still tight and accurate .It has the same insides as the Python on the same frame sans the ventilated rib.One thing was that after shooting many many rounds a .38 spcl .reloads in military cases it never got the ridge in the cylinder and I could shoot the longer 357 loads without cleaning the chambers. The dealer that sold it to me told me to size my cast bullets to .356 and that has worked very well for all these years.
I had a 6" trooper for years. It was a great shooter, accurate and smooth shooting. I had a shoulder holster for it, and it was my car gun.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:54 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:18 am
Understand completely. With the crazy prices of revolvers anymore Im more than ever reluctant to turn loose of 1500.00 cash for one. Im currently looking at getting a double action 357. 686”s and GP100’s fetching 900 to 1k
Go for the 686 Plus 7 shot in 3 or 6 inch. Love mine in 3 inch and everything came right on this one with no issues.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:28 am

I've got an old classic I love, this 2" Model 64 was a Sergeant's off duty gun when the Department issued revolvers. When the Chief told me to set up the transition to Semi-autos, we set up a really nice T&E program with five or six represented and had shooters from Marksman to Expert on the panel, including two females. The Sig P220 45 and Glock 22 40 Caliber were the top finishers. The Chief chose the Glock due to the $100 difference in cost of the guns and the significant savings in 40 caliber ammunition over 45.

When the Guns came in, we were offered the chance to buy our 4" Model 64s, which of course I did. The 2" guns were offered to the Sergeants first and when one of them didn't want his, the Chief offered it to me. I jumped on it. It's a sweet shooter as the Sergeant wasn't a shooter. He didn't buy his 4" gun either, but the contract with the Gunshop handling the transfer limited the purchases by officers to ONE gun per officer with the exception of the 2" guns. Officers could buy a 4" and a 2".

my model 64s.jpg
my model 64s.jpg (528.19 KiB) Viewed 120 times

I carried that 4" on duty for two years, and shot it in the Service Revolver class and won a LOT. I still have both of those guns, and despite offers for as much as four times what I paid, I'll be keeping them. :D I also have the Glock 22 I was issued as well.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:30 am

I never felt undergunned with the revolver, and because I practiced regularly, I could speedload that model 64 as fast as most of the Officers could reload the semiautos. With the 158 Grain Gold Dot Hollowpoint, I felt the round was more than adequate.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:43 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:54 am
BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:18 am
Go for the 686 Plus 7 shot in 3 or 6 inch. Love mine in 3 inch and everything came right on this one with no issues.
Thanks Forty. Ive owned a 686 in the past but let it go. It was the 6 inch. I dont care for the feel of the grips on the new Smiths but I know you can change them. Ive currently got my eye on a couple of older ones one is a 4 inch.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:25 am

The grip on that two inch 64 is a beautiful factory round butt. I took the small factory grips off and added those, from Brownell's. Very comfortable, rapidly back on target after recoil with +p ammo.
1 x