Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Kimber K6xs carry

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Kimber K6xs carry

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:21 pm

I've been without an ultralight carry gun for a long time, but our neighborhood has recently had troubles with a convicted felon who just got out of jail and is causing problems, again, so just to be safe, I thought it might be a good idea to have something light and handy to carry.

Back when I lived in the big city, I mostly carried small semi-autos, but arthritis in my left hand comes and goes and sometimes makes it hard to work the slide on an autoloader. No problem. When the hands were hurting, I used to fall back on Smith J frame Airweight 5 shot 38 revolvers, so I headed to the local shop to see what was available.

No Smith Airweight this time, though. Came home with something I like better.

This is the new Kimber K6 xs, 6 shot, 38 +P Carry and a great carry gun it is. Weighs only 15.9 ounces, easy to see fixed sights, 6 shots and great DAO trigger (and I do mean great). Frame is aluminum alloy, but barrel and cylinder are stainless. I have had a couple of the all steel Kimber K6s 357s and they were great shooters, so I was confident this new lightweight Kimber would be, too.

I was not disappointed. The fixed sights were almost perfect for windage, even at the 17 yard distance I was shooting. As for elevation, at 17 yards the 158 grain 38s were a couple inches low, 125 grainers a bit higher and the still lighter 110 grain Hornady Critical Defense 38 +Ps about dead on. At the more conventional 3 and 7 yards this gun was designed to shoot, this little Kimber should shoot right where I aim/point it.

As for accuracy, again, not disappointed. It was very easy to stay on target, shot after shot. The K6 XS shot more like a heavier, all steel 38 for me. The K6 XS followed through the recoil naturally and stayed right on target for the next shot. The DA trigger seemed to flow right into the target through its cycle, instead of pulling the sights off target. Whoever designed this Kimber is a shooter for sure. This little 38 made my day. Love it

My old J frame Blackhawk 06 J frame holster is a nice fit, too, though I'm sure Kimber can supply plenty of holster choices, too.
7 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Kimber K6xs carry

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:49 pm

Outstanding range report as always. And that is a mighty purty little revolver as well.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:42 pm

Nice shooting! You can't complain about that.
Last edited by GFK on Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:40 pm

Perfect revolver for what you need it for! By any chance had you looked at the Ruger 357/38 LCR? It is a fly weight too and I bought one for my wife but I carry it some when I want to just slap it in my back pocket holster. I like the 38 +P 158 gr. FBI load using the Rim Rock GC hollow point bullet.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:34 pm

Thanks, guys.

Nope, never shot the Ruger, but that's another good choice. Have had good luck with Kimber revolvers, before, so went with the Kimber.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:00 am

Looks great. Miss T carries the 642 Smith Airweight quite a bit and loves it. I carry the 340PD Scandium 357 (Which I just posted my range time with.) We both carry our reloads in the speed strips too, not as fast as speedloaders, but flat and discreet, and you can reload two at a time. I have carried them for my backups and off duty guns for years. I find the old belt pouch for the sliding phones you find at goodwill for $1 make perfect pouches for two bianchi speed strips. :lol: I have one with a magnetic closure.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:37 am

Seems like a very nice pistol. My fall back carry is a Smith J frame that is very comfortable to shoot. I bought it in the 80s and use the speed strips as well. Now you have opened the door on another option I will have to consider.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:58 am

Nice NCG. Thought I was one of the very few who carries the ole revolver for self defense. Been through about 6 different autos but like the Ruger LCRX in 38 special. Its light and works good for me in front pocket carry. Also use the speed strips. Local gun shop has the line up of Kimber revolvers haven’t ever looked at one but I see they have good ratings on youtube
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:46 am

Very nice NCG, I didn’t know Kimber made this lightweight concealable revolver. Looks like a great shooter and being a six shot is a real advantage. I’m with the folks above and carry a revolves as my EDC. LCR-X in 327 Fed Mag so I too have six shots. And as mentioned above I too use the Bianchi speed strip for my back up ammo.

Thanks for posting your report and the pictures.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:11 am

Thanks, again, guys.

Yeah, revolvers still make a lot of sense as carry guns for some of us. Nothing against autoloaders and I've carried some great ones, but it's little things that cause problems for me when I've carried them. For instance, I do a lot of mountain biking and those of you who ride trails know that the hands get beat up and sometimes get numb. Makes it real hard to even work a safety, not to mention rack a slide. And then there's the cold weather up here. Same problems. There's a lot of personal preference, too. I just like revolvers, so that's that.
0 x