Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report: Small Game Carbine

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Range Report: Small Game Carbine

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:42 am

I just returned from the range where I shot my Small Game Carbine at 50 yards offhand. I was hoping to keep everything in the black which is just under 4 inches but I had quite a nice surprise. After shooting three rounds as a sight-in with no adjustments I put out a fresh target and told myself to concentrate, concentrate, concentrate.

The first five shots which took me about ten minutes gave me the best target I've ever shot offhand at 50 yards. I didn't put the micrometer on it till I got home but I knew it was good. Okay the pressure is off and I didn't really care about the second target. Another pleasant surprise as I beat my first target.

All my winter practice just shouldering the rifle inside and perfecting my stance and hold paid off. And I had about a week practice dry firing the rifle with the bolt replaced by one with the firing pin removed. By the way after replacing the bolt and putting the receiver cover back on which has the sight on it didn't require any adjustment.

This rifle is a dream. It has the perfect balance and the sights are purpose chosen for the NRA TQ-3/2(P) targets. The sight view picture was put together in photoshop but it represents what I saw. The black target is just inside the front globe peep and the front globe peep is just inside the rear peep. In reality the front peep should have been a tad smaller as well as the target but it is really close. And I just noticed in the picture I didn't write that the Lee Shaver insert was in a Lyman Globe.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Range Report: Small Game Carbine

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:27 am

I've never seen that sight setup before ... very interesting ... nicely done
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:19 am

That looks like a very well thought out sight system. What brand of ammo and how about a picture of the target?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:56 am

Thanks for the pictures and the great report, SH. Congratulations on your shooting.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:56 am

Travlin wrote:That looks like a very well thought out sight system. What brand of ammo and how about a picture of the target?
I was shooting Norma Tac-22 which is a standard velocity. I'm not sure I should post a picture of my target. When I shoot poorly I do but I did two 5-round targets offhand that is quite remarkable. Not sure anyone would believe me. Lets just say it was good.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:01 am

I'm not sure what it is about the Small Game Carbines but I find them remarkable accurate. Lever actions aren't known for being the most accurate kind of rifle like a bolt action, and while I love Henrys I'm the first one to admit you aren't going to bring home the Gold Metal with an H001.

What I have found that in bench shooting the Henrys can not compete with my CZ's. But offhand they can beat them. I did a rapid fire test with a Henry against a CZ at 25 yards. Any hit in a four inch circle would count no matter where in the circle it hit. It was a timed event and the Henry was almost twice as fast as the bolt action CZ.
0 x

bjohnston505

Post by bjohnston505 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:17 am

I'd like to lay hands on one of the Small Game Carbines. Henry really did a good thing by teaming up with Skinner Sights with this setup.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:41 am

Its not just the sights. The shorter heavy barrel makes it very accurate. Rimfire Henrys aren't known as target rifles and levers in general aren't either. But the SGC's come close to being as accurate as my CZ's. I have four and they will all outshoot all of my other Henrys.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:43 pm

Your Range Report in total is very encouraging, Sir Henry. Great job all around!

I for one would like to see your targets. Do believe you, but just would be interesting to see. Especially noticed what you did for "winter practice." Yes, the more practice-practice-practice, the better-better-better.

Why did I say your thread is encouraging? First, your comments: "This rifle is a dream.....Its not just the sights. The shorter heavy barrel makes it very accurate." Second reason: I just bought the SGC in .22LR caliber, and have only been out one time with it. But I did find it accurate out-of-the-box, and the barrel balance feels really good. Not least, the Skinner peep sight is the plus for me!

I love to shoot off hand as you did here, and have yet to learn the rifle, and begin "to prove my shooting skill." My distance goal to start is also 50 yards. I very much look forward to this spring/summer with the SGC.

Thanks again for a great Range Report, and explanation of your SGC set up.
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:58 pm

PTy,

There are two very distinct different holds and stances for offhand shooting. One is for rapid fire and the other is for slow precision shooting. If you watch the shooting in the Olympics you know what I'm talking about. I've heard some people say I "shoot like a girl" because I put all or most the weight on my left foot, swing my hips out and rest my elbow on it or slightly about it. I first raise the rifle up, pull my elbow in and then lower the rifle. The rifle is totally rested on my left hand. I use the youth stock and pull the rifle back firmly but not with excessive pressure. My right elbow is down next to my body. I am holding the rifle in as close to me as possible. I try to keep the rifle steady with my body and any adjustment is made with my entire body by adjusting with my right rear foot. I also try to keep the movement in a circle around and crossing the bullseye rather than just crisscrossing it.

This winter I must have spent 200 hours watching online videos and trying different stances and holds out. And I had two excellent online coaches on another forum. One taught me mostly about sights and sight pictures and the other was more stance and trigger.

I also use a nose/thumb weld which I made a separate post about.

I shoot only standard velocity ammo. HV ammo is not going to give you the best results.

I don't feel comfortable posting my targets. I'm shooting against my self and not others. Usually I do post my targets but they aren't anything to write home about. But this last time out I nailed it.
0 x