Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Perfect shooting day

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Perfect shooting day

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:56 am

I went to the range yesterday with cloudy skies and temps in the low 60's with nearly dead calm winds. Perfect for shooting rim fires when shooting for group size and testing different ammo lots. I took my Remington 540XR, a CZ 452 Grand Finale and a 452 Lux. I had several different lot #'s of RWS and SK+ ammo with me. Between the three rifles I fired 27 five or six shot groups. I had three groups out of two of the three rifles that had a flyer that opened up the group to 3/4" and those were groups that I then fired the sixth round at that target and every time it ended up in the group with the other rounds. I had two groups at 3/4" from the Lux but also had two groups from the same rifle that were at 3/16" -3/8" and the others were all under 5/8". I was happy with that rifle as it is a squirrel rifle that only has a 2-7 Leupold on it. I was shooting on 7X. I was pretty upset with my best looking CZ Grand Finale. It was not on how it shot but I found a mark on the comb of the stock it probably got from the in and out the safe. It is where it is easily noticed. Now I will try my luck lightly sanding it out a touching up the factory oil finish. It's targets didn't disappoint me as it actually edged out the very accurate Remington 540XR. I was actually stunned at it shooting the way it did even though I knew it is a very good shooter at the range. No groups were over 7/16" with several being a small ragged hole of 1/4-3/8". Leupold Var-X II 4-12 AO set on 12X. The RWS is a winner in this rifle. The 540XR's first group threw the first shot out with the clean barrel and that was the other rifle with a 3/4" group. It usually takes half dozen warm up shots to settle in to it's best accuracy. It ran very close to the CZ in accuracy but the GF would edge it out slightly. Several range trips with the GF and the 540XR I am certain the 540 would be the best over the CZ but not by much. My 540X is the top shooter over the XR. The 540XR has a fixed 12X Leupold on it that works well for my range shooting. My wife is headed to her dentist appointment so I will sneak off to the range. :o :lol: I also had my Browning BM and my Ruger MKIII along yesterday and was about to get ready to shoot them and remembered I didn't do the dishes before going to the range. So I got home before her and did the dishes. ;) :lol:
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Perfect shooting day

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:29 am

Good for you on doing the dishes. I always appreciate when my hubby helps out.

That's some outstanding work, bandit. I know how much it takes to shoot such groups on a consistent basis.

Sorry to hear about the safe ding on the CZ GF. I really hate it when that happens and it has happened to me more than once. Maybe it's a sign that we are packing too many rifles into the safe, right? :)

I've always been happy when I can get our rimfires to shoot in that 3/16-3/8" range at 50 yards. All three of the CZs we kept have done it for us many times. The 457 MTR is still the record holder for group size and has shot many groups down into the teens. I lucked out on ours with the wood, too.

Never did get a CZ grand Finale. Came close a couple times, but I suspect it would have gotten sold when we sold off most of our cartridge guns, anyway.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:26 am

Sounds like a good day except for the ding. We all have had it happen so we know the feeling.

Shooting that many groups can be very exhausting.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:49 pm

NCG, I don't mind doing dishes at all. I also do the laundry except her uniforms are off limits. I also do the sweeping and scrubbing the floors. I get up most of the mornings before her alarm goes off at 4 AM and make fresh coffee for her to have when she gets up. I have got to where I only need about 4 1/2 hours sleep since retiring. Some days I may need a power nap about 2 PM in the afternoon but if I keep busy I don't need it. My wife says I am like the energizer bunny. :lol: My friends say I would make someone a good wife. They say there is no way they would do women's work in the home. She is the bread winner here and my small retirement money we could never live on so I help make it easier on her. She knows she has to work to keep me happy by keeping me in ammo. :shock: :lol:
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:40 pm

She sounds like a wonderful gal, but, then, she got a wonderful guy, too. :)
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:31 pm

I actually like doing the dishes and laundry. I have housecleaners that come every two weeks and I like that too.

Now taking the garbage out isn’t my cup of tea.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater