Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

cheering up my best friend

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

cheering up my best friend

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:54 pm

I went to see my best friend today to cheer him up a little. He had some major surgery on his shoulder and was a little down and will be about 8 weeks before getting back to normal use. I took the Ruger MK II and the MK III along to shoot at his range he has at his home. We shot from the bench on sand bags at 35, 40 and 60 yds. I went back to the 1-4 scope on the MK III and I shot it first and it held it's zero after having it off while using the red dot. The quick detach Leupold rings are a great addition to this pistol. I then loaded it back up and he shot the MK III at the 40 yd distance at empty shot shell hulls. He hit the first three with four shots and turned to me and said "I can't believe this hand gun can shoot like that". I really think he is hooked. We then shot the MK II with the Pro Point on it at the same distance and we both hit good with it at 40 yds and he was ready to take a break and watch me shoot. We put shot shell hulls out as far as 60 yds. At 60 with the scoped MK III on a center hold it was hitting low. So I held higher each shot until I found the spot where I needed to hold and hit five for ten shots. My friend said if he told people that I hit five shot shells and a few little white stones we used for targets at 60 yds with the Ruger pistol they would think he was telling a big one. He was watching as I shot and said the misses would have more than likely hit a squirrel. I am really starting to have fun with the Ruger Marks. The last few times out I have only had the Rugers with me. For sure the Red dot loses out to the scoped pistol when you stretch the distance especially past 50 yds. I believe the MK III is a little more accurate than the II even when both are scoped. Another thing is I shot a golf ball at 40 yds and it went about to the 75 yd or a little more and I took three shots to get the hold over right and sent it flying. I was able to find it with a little looking. The 22 caliber holes in it looked smaller than a 17 cal. Man those things are tough. I would hate to get hit even in my hard head with one of those balls.
9 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: cheering up my best friend

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:36 pm

Great shooting and a great thing to do with a friend in need!
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 pm

I have one of those Mark III Hunter pistolas also Bandit but I havent shot it much. I have plenty of 22 ammo to shoot it but just need to go do it. Right now Im here in the Gulf taking a break from Colorado winter. Ive only got iron sights on mine but but I do have a Mark IV ultra lite 22/45 with a Burris fast fire on it. Maybe I will give that a go with some clays on a bank
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:46 pm

It paid off for him to hang out with the cool kids. Good on ya'.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:34 am

You sound like a good friend to have. Tennis and golf balls are always fun to shoot.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:48 am

Golf balls.....yes indeed.

One of my shooting buddies made a target stand by placing several golf tees in a 2x4. That is some fun shooting but sometimes finding the golf balls can be difficult, especially when hitting them with .223. :o

Many years ago my brother and I were golfing and he got hit in the arm with a ball in flight. It left an impression the dimples on the ball in his arm and later turned into a huge bruise. Ouch!

Great therapy Bandit, fun for him and your too! Love the statement about him not being able to tell others about yours and his accomplishments.
2 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:32 pm

as one who has been hit three times by a golf ball, head, arm, groin( missed the important stuff) I can testify to the hardness of said ball.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:36 pm

We used to hit them off cliffs with baseball bats when we were kids. They sure take off...
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully