Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Two range days

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Two range days

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:37 pm

Went to shoot Tuesday and today. Took the scope off my Ruger MKIII and put a red dot on it. Got it sighted on pretty good at 30 yds. I then shot several 5 shot groups and a ten shot with a lot number of Geco(RWS) Target Rifle. This lot number has not showed the accuracy, except in a few CZ 452's, that the Geco rifle ammo usually has. Funny thing is my Ruger shot it very well at 30 yds. and was accurate at the 50 yd back stop on small clay bird pieces. The weather was kind of windy and was very cold and my fingers got numb from the cold and loading the mag. Shot two boxes of ammo and called it quits.
Today was no better with the weather about matching yesterdays. I put a target at 30 yds. and couldn't find my dot targets I use for the red dot shooting so I made a few targets from a 1" piece of masking tape colored black with a Sharpie pen so I could see it. My shooting with the dot scope is not as good as with the 1-4 scope with the finer aiming point. I still managed to keep all the targets under an inch except one that was a
1 1/8" and I was fairly happy with that with the wind and cold. All targets were 5 shots. Shot quite a few empty shot shell casings that were left there by other shooters. I always gather them up after shooting and take them out with me and pitch them when I get home. Quite a few flew to parts unknown so I couldn't find them.
The MKIII needs a little trigger tuning to lighten it but it actually is getting better. If NCG lived closer I would get her to tune this trigger. I would probably let her have a CZ Grand Finale to use for at least a year to do that for me. ;) :D
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Two range days

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:00 pm

Really? I'll be right over. :) Honestly, if you could get the gun to me, be glad to do it.

The single biggest improvement on a Mark trigger comes with just replacing the Ruger sear with a VQ sear. The VQ sear includes a lighter sear spring.

Next is the VQ trigger, because it allows you to adjust the sear engagement via the pre-travel adjustment.

At the same time, most MK III owners dump the mag safety by subbing an MKII hammer bushing, though you can still use the stock MK III hammer bushing This allows easier removing of magazines, akin to a 1911.

Getting it all done is a little tricky, at times. Kind of a needing three hands thing. Lots of vids online if you want to attempt it.

Glad you're having so much fun shooting a Ruger Mark.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:11 pm

An inch at 30 yards is good in my book.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:04 pm

Me to. Inch at 30 yards with a pistola is great. Clays on a bank will be broken for sure.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:54 am

Yes, an inch at 30 yards exceeds what is needed for a pistol to be rated as having match accuracy, which is one inch at 25 yards.
0 x