Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger MK II and MKIII

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Ruger MK II and MKIII

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:02 am

I went to my friends property to shoot the two Rugers Monday. The MKII is my wife's and the III is mine. Hers has a Tasco Pro Point red dot on it and mine has an old Japan made 1-4 scope on it. I asked my friend/property owner to go shoot with me and shoot my wife's Ruger. He has a very shaky right hand and said he would probably shoot bad. I made sure both guns were on at 40 yds where he had his target set up. I shot the MKIII first after checking it's zero and shot empty shot shell hulls. It shot very well hitting 7 out of ten hulls on the first shot. Then my friend shot my wife's MK II. He was shooting high for every shot so I told him to hold at the base of the shot shell hulls. Then he did 5 for 10 shots which surprised him and me. We were shooting from a rest off sand bags off an old junked car. He fell in love with her pistol and said he wanted one. I told him he would have to buy used to get one and the stainless slab side is a tough one to find. Her Ruger has a 1 3/4 lb trigger and mine is still factory issue and is right at 3 lb 2 oz. which is good for factory and seems to be getting smoother now after having maybe 6oo+ rounds through it. We had a good time and shot around 4 boxes of ammo through the pistols at different targets. He has a Bond Arms Snake derringer that is a real piece of junk. Chambered 410/45 LC. He is going to try to trade it off on a Ruger MKIV if he likes it when we go to the shops today. I personally am not crazy about the MKIV but I am not the one buying one. I also told him to take a look at the S&W Victory and the Browning Buckmark. Another friend of mine has a Victory that will shoot as well as the Ruger Marks with easy take down and easy barrel swapping if you want to change barrels so that may interest him. We heard a LGS has a Ruger MKII in and will be going today to see if they do.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Ruger MK II and MKIII

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:58 am

Those MK’s are very accurate and hitting a shot shell at 40 yards takes a good shooting hand. Congratulations I don’t think I could do it.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:16 am

The Victory is really nice. I had to tweak the case ejector a tiny bit to get rid of some jams and it works good now. That was a common issue with them at that time. Love the sights on it too!
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:52 am

The MK II was my favorite. Everything you need, nothing that you don't as far as features. The IIs have held their value the best of any of the Marks.

We had a Victory and, yes, very accurate. Doesn't have the build quality of a Ruger Mark, but Marks are probably overbuilt, anyway.

And we had the vaunted Model 41. Oh, yeah, that gun could shoot ... when it did shoot. Fussy about ammo and I was not impressed with the fit and finish relative to what we paid to get it.

We're down to our mid 60s vintage Mark I for a 22 semi-auto and that's fine. Familiar find for me and most of our 22 handgun shooting these days is with revolvers and mostly single action revolvers at that. Does cut down on amp usage during a session and that's a good thing these days.
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:55 am

I recently traded my Victory off and really didn’t shoot it enough to establish a relationship with it. But I did do a function test with several types and brands of ammo and it ate everything I fed it. Also the Victory has a reputation of the barrel screw becoming so tight that it can’t be removed. I did not have any issue with mine. I did put a red-dot on it and sighted it in and it was very accurate. Based on my very limited exposure I was happy with the pistol.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:44 pm

I have a Mark III and a Mark IV. I havent shot the Mark III Hunter very much but when I did I liked it. The Mark IV in the ultra lite 22/45 and its just a blast to shoot. I have a Burris Fastfire on it.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:21 pm

I don't have a Ruger, but my son bought one back in 2004 and would never part with it. I only have one 22 pistol and that's my old High Standard 106 with 7 1/2" fluted barrel and weights. I used that for Bullseye competition in the 80's then it spent a lot of time in the safe. I brought it out to shoot some steel challenge matches a few years ago. I got a lot of ribbing about that gun. My friends called it the space gun and nicknamed me Buck Rogers when I would show up with it. :lol:
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:27 pm

I take those friends don't know their high grade bullseye guns. I've owned several High Standard 22 competition autos over the years. Superb shooters.
1 x