Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report: Small Game Carbine

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Frank V
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Range Report: Small Game Carbine

Post by Frank V » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:28 pm

That's an interesting sight, the Henry's I"ve seen shot would put almost all bullets touching at 25yds off a bench.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:17 am

Appreciate the additional "tips" and comments.
And sounds neat that you had good coaching over the winter, especially on sights and sight pictures. Good stuff.
0 x

~Пока~

ace73
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by ace73 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:59 am

Sir Henry,
Thank you for reminding this 'newbie' that it takes time, determination and practice to show improvement!
I tried the 25yd off hand using Bob's target over at RFC, and let's just say I follow the "Weebles wobble but don't fall down" routine!

The Small Game Carbine will be the next rifle I buy, can you give me a little more info on your front sight?
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:52 am

ace73 wrote:Sir Henry,
Thank you for reminding this 'newbie' that it takes time, determination and practice to show improvement!
I tried the 25yd off hand using Bob's target over at RFC, and let's just say I follow the "Weebles wobble but don't fall down" routine!

The Small Game Carbine will be the next rifle I buy, can you give me a little more info on your front sight?
The front sight is a globe sight made by Lyman. It accepts inserts which can be changed in just a few seconds. The different inserts have different strengths and weakness's. The peep inserts are for precision shooting but its difficult to find the target with them. But once that target is found you can really see the target and fine tune centering it. They are sized for specific targets and specific distances. If the black target is too big then the black peep gets lost in the circle. And if the black target is too small you can't see fine adjustments. You need a clear black and white target.

On the other hand most of the post type inserts are for hunting and you can see a wide field of view. But then again you can't fine aim them. The post inserts are also for point of aim or six o'clock. You just have to pick the correct one for how you want to aim.

The Lee Shaver inserts take up less space in the field of view and you can find the target easier with them but still get the precision of the peep. Globe sights work best with a rear peep.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sigh ... es-17a.php

This picture shows the barrel end and Lyman Globe on a Mare's Leg. Skinner removed the front sight on the tube hanger and modified it to take a standard groove. Near the bottom of the linked page is information on it. Andy does precision work. The groove edges will be crisp and at the exact angles they need to be.

http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Gosh! I'd have to make a spreadsheet showing me what insert to use for all those factors you listed.
The "choice" would sure be a big challenge to start with.

For my new Skinner peep sights, I also have three new, different-sized apertures. Enough of a challenge for me just starting to learn how to use them based on Andy's recommendations.

Hmmm -- Wonder how many columns in the spreadsheet it would take?!? ;)
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:22 pm

PT7 wrote:Gosh! I'd have to make a spreadsheet showing me what insert to use for all those factors you listed.
The "choice" would sure be a big challenge to start with.

For my new Skinner peep sights, I also have three new, different-sized apertures. Enough of a challenge for me just starting to learn how to use them based on Andy's recommendations.

Hmmm -- Wonder how many columns in the spreadsheet it would take?!? ;)
I have purpose built Henry rifles for precision and fast action. Both have different inserts among other things. Once you find the right insert for the right target all the work is done. I basically only use three different inserts. On the peep inserts I use the same targets all the time. The NRA makes one for 25, 50, and 100 yards and the bullseyes sizes are different but have the same size when viewed at their correct distances. So the correct insert is the same for all three distances.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater