Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report 5/26/2016

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Pete
Tenderfoot

Range Report 5/26/2016

Post by Pete » Fri May 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Finally had a chance to get out shooting yesterday between rainy days.

As you can see by the target, not so good. Since I was going to try using a little heavier bullet (155 gr.), to eventually use at 100 yds., I thought I'd see what I could do using Bullseye since I've probably got enuf to last the rest of my life.

Wasn't sure where to start so got out the Lyman #4 Cast Bullet handbook and an old copy of the Speer #11 I had laying around. MAN!! Talk about a difference in handbooks. The Speer recommended going from 3.5 grs. to 4.0 grs. The Lyman manual started at 6.2 grs. and went up to 6.9 grs. Not wanting to stick my neck out to far considering I don't know anything about Lever guns I thot I better go with the Speer chart.

Doesn't look like much in the way of groups, so think I'll go up another gr. next week.

Pete
Attachments
5-26a.jpg
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Range Report 5/26/2016

Post by JEBar » Fri May 27, 2016 4:31 pm

not bad at all for an initial group .... in fact, I've seen bunches of groups, after a good bit of fine tuning, that weren't that good .... you didn't say but the holes appear to be from 38/357's .... it will be interesting to see how upping the grains affects the grouping
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:42 pm

What is target diameter? And what distance (yards) did you have targets set up at?
Yes, and as JEBar asked, what caliber? All would be good to know, because they tell a larger story.
Still, good shooting. :)
Pete wrote:Finally had a chance to get out shooting yesterday between rainy days.

As you can see by the target, not so good. Since I was going to try using a little heavier bullet (155 gr.), to eventually use at 100 yds., I thought I'd see what I could do using Bullseye since I've probably got enuf to last the rest of my life.

Wasn't sure where to start so got out the Lyman #4 Cast Bullet handbook and an old copy of the Speer #11 I had laying around. MAN!! Talk about a difference in handbooks. The Speer recommended going from 3.5 grs. to 4.0 grs. The Lyman manual started at 6.2 grs. and went up to 6.9 grs. Not wanting to stick my neck out to far considering I don't know anything about Lever guns I thot I better go with the Speer chart.

Doesn't look like much in the way of groups, so think I'll go up another gr. next week.

Pete
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri May 27, 2016 5:55 pm

Pete wrote: Wasn't sure where to start so got out the Lyman #4 Cast Bullet handbook and an old copy of the Speer #11 I had laying around. MAN!! Talk about a difference in handbooks. The Speer recommended going from 3.5 grs. to 4.0 grs. The Lyman manual started at 6.2 grs. and went up to 6.9 grs. Not wanting to stick my neck out to far considering I don't know anything about Lever guns I thot I better go with the Speer chart.
The differences in starting loads stated from manual to manual is a serious issue that certainly requires careful consideration. Like you, I always start with the lowest or next lowest "suggestion" and see. Thanks for your report, Pete.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Pete
Tenderfoot

Post by Pete » Fri May 27, 2016 7:55 pm

Sorry. Did forget some the vital info. The target is the one used in the Cast Bullet Assoc. matches. The 10 ring is 3/4" with the dot at 1/16". If you look at #6 you can see the same target is used at 100 & 200 yds. I just use this target since I can shoot all my test rounds on one target and when I post the target no one can I "cherry picked" the best one for "show & tell".
For testing I used the Henry .38/.357 (picture in an earlier post). I shot these at 50 yds. After I go thru a few powders I'll pick the best of each and go back to 100 yds. where I'll probably use the ASSRA 100 yd. target.

As mentioned I'll start going higher with powder charges going up .2 gr.per load, till something tells me I better quit.

One question for you guys who post pictures on here. What pixel size do you use? Mine seem a little small compared to most I see on here.

Pete
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri May 27, 2016 9:39 pm

I think mine are about 3,000 pixels??? Gotta love a fun range day where you can test your loads.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Pete
Tenderfoot

Post by Pete » Fri May 27, 2016 11:01 pm

Sir Henry,

Hmmm. 3000 doesn’t mean anything to me. I think the programs each of us use must set up our pictures for the web differently.. I use Adobe Photoshop.

The way I get it on here is that you don't want to exceed a certain size or the forum will reject it. Mine usually run 640 pixels high by 400 pixels wide. Whichever number, high or wide, is entered, the other is automatically put in so the picture isn't distorted. Obviously I can go bigger because some of the pictures here are quite a bit bigger than mine.

I can keep experimenting till I get something more appropriate but thot I'd ask first.

Pete
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:09 am

Thanks for the additional info.

One thing I noticed on your photos re. the size. If I click on the photo, it will enlarge on the Forum screen. I was easily able to read your targets. I think that happens automatically with all photos, but not 100% sure. Maybe one of the admins can confirm?

I also shoot the .357 caliber -- great round for me!

Pete wrote:Sorry. Did forget some the vital info. The target is the one used in the Cast Bullet Assoc. matches. The 10 ring is 3/4" with the dot at 1/16". If you look at #6 you can see the same target is used at 100 & 200 yds. I just use this target since I can shoot all my test rounds on one target and when I post the target no one can I "cherry picked" the best one for "show & tell".
For testing I used the Henry .38/.357 (picture in an earlier post). I shot these at 50 yds. After I go thru a few powders I'll pick the best of each and go back to 100 yds. where I'll probably use the ASSRA 100 yd. target.

As mentioned I'll start going higher with powder charges going up .2 gr.per load, till something tells me I better quit.

One question for you guys who post pictures on here. What pixel size do you use? Mine seem a little small compared to most I see on here.

Pete
0 x

~Пока~

Pete
Tenderfoot

Post by Pete » Sat May 28, 2016 7:03 am

PT7,

You might be right cuz I get the same enlargement when I click on the target. Also seems to work on any pictures I've done it to when I want to look at a detail.

I wonder if it could be that I just post directly from my computer to the forum and don't use Photo bucket, et al.Will have to experiment a bit and see.

Found a message on the "Computer" section that gives some sizes I was looking for.

Pete
0 x