Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry cold weather magazine test

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Henry cold weather magazine test

Post by Greyhawk » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:26 am

In my post titled '.45 colt cold weather torture test' I talked about how in extreme cold the magazine tube would not operate allowing me to load the rifle and that I had to load each round individually through the action.
This week I banished my .45 colt and 45-70 to the woodshed to see how the brass magazine followers operate under different temperatures, here are the results (All temperatures are in Fahrenheit)
At +10 degrees the brass magazines of both rifles worked like it was summer, no problems.
The next day at -1 the magazines were stiff but worked fine.
Later in the week at -13 I noticed that the magazines were difficult to un-click, but otherwise, (although stiff) they worked fine.
This made me wonder if the problem that I experienced at the range was not an issue with the brass and steel, or with moisture, but with the rubber O ring at the end of the follower, so I left my 45-70 follower clicked in, but I released the follower of my .45 colt. The next morning was supposed to be -21 so I was interested to see what the results would be.
The next morning was -22, The 45-70 mag. follower would not budge, without forcing it I could not unlock it in order to load the magazine. But, the .45 colt mag. follower (which I had unlocked the previous day) moved stiffly but freely up and down the mag.
SO- the issue is not with moisture freezing, or with metal expanding, but with that rubber o ring becoming hardened in the extreme cold.
For most of us this isn't an issue. But, often times when hunting in extreme cold I will leave my rifle outside at night instead of exposing it to the heat and moisture inside the cabin. I think that when I do this with a Henry it would be wise to keep the magazine loaded for the next morning's hunt. (Or maybe just drink coffee until noon and then go hunting!)
I hope this has been helpful or at least interesting!
Attachments
banished.jpg
banished.jpg (98.56 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Henry cold weather magazine test

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:48 am

Greyhawk wrote: I hope this has been helpful or at least interesting!
Greyhawk, thanks for your report and for carefully staging your tests to control the variables at play. It is very interesting and I'm sure for some of us, helpful, too.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:34 am

For sure this is interesting. I wonder if there's an equivalent O-ring made of some "space age" polymer that would remain flexible? In any event, at this point in my hunting career (55 years), I'm drinking coffee 'til it warms up to zero ;) .
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:46 am

Very interesting. Not a issue down here, but it might be something that the company would be interested in. Never know when the next ice age will arrive. ;)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:53 am

Thanks for busting my metal theory Grayhawk. :D Nicely prepped and executed.
Greyhawk wrote:...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:26 pm

Great report. Very informative. Thank-you.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:37 pm

outstanding info .... thanks for conducting the experiment and posting your results .... thankfully, we seldom experience such low temps but its good to know .... I'd suggest that you email this info to Anthony at Henry .... my bet is he would appreciate it
0 x

Mgr2
Wrangler
Norway

Post by Mgr2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:01 am

Thanks for the report. If the o-rings are the problem then these can be changed for better suited ones. In my experience the fluor types are better for low temperature applications. These types can be bought on eBay.

Most common o-rings are nitrile rubber. For temperature range see the guide below.

O-ring temperature guide:
https://www.websealinc.com/oring_temperatures.html
3 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:09 pm

Excellent find for sharing!!! Golden for this one!
Mgr2 wrote:Thanks for the report. If the o-rings are the problem then these can be changed for better suited ones. In my experience the fluor types are better for low temperature applications. These types can be bought on eBay.

Most common o-rings are nitrile rubber. For temperature range see the guide below.

1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Mgr2 wrote:Thanks for the report. If the o-rings are the problem then these can be changed for better suited ones. In my experience the fluor types are better for low temperature applications. These types can be bought on eBay.

Great info! I'll have to check it out.
1 x