Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Off hand Russian .45LC is spot on

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Off hand Russian .45LC is spot on

Post by PT7 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Gotta trust me on this Range Report as I have no paper targets to post. I visited my son-in-law at his outdoor range today, and practiced shooting my Russian 1874 Top Break in prep for rabbit hunting. My targets were both AR500 steel and hedgeapples scattered on the ground.

I haven't taken solo photos of the revolvers since I swapped grips; need to do that for any future reports. I'll only be shooting the Russian Blue with ivory grips, bottom revolver in this photo. The Russian Stainlesss will stay in the gun cabinet for a while.
Grip Swap_2854.JPG
Grip Swap_2854.JPG (246.22 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
I had a really good day considering I've only shot 130 rounds through this revolver, including today's 45 rounds. Had to pick up quite a few chunks of hedgeapples that "died" in the practice hunt. I also shot at one of those flip-flop targets on a pole that move side-to-side when hit. They were only 6" round. I was easily able to clang them, off hand at distance of about 24 yards, with resulting 9/10 clangs! The .45LC bullets hitting steel sure do make great outdoor music to the ears.

So today I had my best results with this revolver in the short time I've had it, after only three range outings. Much fun, and so very accurate. Best revolver fixed sights I've ever had. I promise that at my next visit to his range, I'll take along my camera. You should have seen those splattered golden hedgeapples on the deep-green grass of the range!!

PT7
3 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Off hand Russian .45LC is spot on

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Rabbit is sure to be on the menu. Glad you had such an encouraging time shooting that beautiful revolver.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Shoot that Stainless! :)
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:03 am

I'm certain, RR, that you're familiar with a "gun cabinet queen." Well, just for a while, the Russian Silver will remain as my "gun cabinet Tsar." ;)

At the moment, the Silver has 40 rounds through it, and of course after so few rounds, cleaned up to pristine, new condition. I've never not shot any of my firearms, and never considered keeping one off the range. That's why we get them....to enjoy the shooting experience. Pretty certain that is why you said to shoot it.

But I'm considering to do this gun differently, and possibly looking for a wooden wall display for it. That would be a first for me, and a new type of fun. But I promise, the day will come when this cabinet Tsar will be dethroned and earn its keep. :)
PT7

Ranch Roper wrote:Shoot that Stainless!
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:17 am

I'm with RR. Guns were made to shoot. I've made the mistake, and have made it more than once, of buying a deluxe edition of a gun with beautiful wood and finish, then let it sit in the gun safe for her of scratching it up when shooting it. Then, when it collects dust, I just trade it off for something I will shoot, regularly.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Guns were made to shoot. I've made the mistake, and have made it more than once, of buying a deluxe edition of a gun
I agree completely and have made the OPPOSITE mistake. Bought a nice, new gun and IMMEDIATELY started shooting it, carrying it etc. and while certainly not 'abused' in any way - just started to incur normal wear, carry issues etc.
It's one of the reasons I am really reluctant to buy a nice Mod 27 I have been looking at.
I am now 'shifitng gears' and leaning toward a 686. Reality being what it is stainless in REALLY the way to go for a gun that is going to get shot often, carried etc. - at least in this 'day and age' with nice , vintage guns rising in value.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:37 pm

My guns are starting to look used. I clean and oil regular but packing the rifle to the range and horseback all the time it now looks like "my" rifle if you know what I mean. And I sure love shooting them....
3 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:51 pm

One of the reasons I may like my 1899 Winchester best of all - it's got a 118 years of wear and tear and is as 'bad' as it ever will be - although not too bad for its age.
100_1247.jpg
100_1247.jpg (152.35 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
3 x

Firearmfanatic
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Firearmfanatic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:30 am

PT7 wrote:Gotta trust me on this Range Report as I have no paper targets to post. I visited my son-in-law at his outdoor range today, and practiced shooting my Russian 1874 Top Break in prep for rabbit hunting. My targets were both AR500 steel and hedgeapples scattered on the ground.

I haven't taken solo photos of the revolvers since I swapped grips; need to do that for any future reports. I'll only be shooting the Russian Blue with ivory grips, bottom revolver in this photo. The Russian Stainlesss will stay in the gun cabinet for a while.

Grip Swap_2854.JPG

I had a really good day considering I've only shot 130 rounds through this revolver, including today's 45 rounds. Had to pick up quite a few chunks of hedgeapples that "died" in the practice hunt. I also shot at one of those flip-flop targets on a pole that move side-to-side when hit. They were only 6" round. I was easily able to clang them, off hand at distance of about 24 yards, with resulting 9/10 clangs! The .45LC bullets hitting steel sure do make great outdoor music to the ears.

So today I had my best results with this revolver in the short time I've had it, after only three range outings. Much fun, and so very accurate. Best revolver fixed sights I've ever had. I promise that at my next visit to his range, I'll take along my camera. You should have seen those splattered golden hedgeapples on the deep-green grass of the range!!

PT7
The 45 long colt is such a fun round to shoot. I have 2 ruger vaquero's in the high polish stainless steel. It's amazing how some of these 6 shooters in 45LC can be extremely accurate. Too bad ammo is so darn expensive though. Nice guns!!
0 x

Firearmfanatic
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Firearmfanatic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:35 am

RanchRoper wrote:My guns are starting to look used. I clean and oil regular but packing the rifle to the range and horseback all the time it now looks like "my" rifle if you know what I mean. And I sure love shooting them....
I love the used wear and tear look on the firerarms. Especially when the 6 shooter has a little bit of that holster wear on it. I think the wear and tear tells the story and shows how dependable and reliable that firearm is to you.
2 x