Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowgirl Corner: new Colt Cobra 38

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Cowgirl Corner: new Colt Cobra 38

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Since some of us have been on a revolver kick, of late, thought I would share one of my latest. It's the new production Colt Cobra 38 Special +P. Been shooting it for around a month, now, so the little Colt and I have become good friends. Nice reliable snub nose 38.

So, let's get down to the nitty gritty. The new Cobra is an all steel gun. At 25 ounces, weight and size is similar to an all steel J frame Smith 38, but the Colt gets you six shots, instead of the Smith's five.

The fixed sight setup is excellent, with a wide gutter rear and a fiber optic front. Sights are very easy to see. The front sight, interestingly, is user removable via an allen wrench. Colt does plan to offer different front sight option at some point, but nothing I could find right now.

As for fit and finish, action smoothness and lockup, my Cobra was one of two my dealer had on the shelf. I could not tell a difference between the two. Both were silky smooth, tight, with identical triggers. Says a lot for build quality.

The trigger pull in both SA and DA is outstanding. No other word for it. To get something equivalent in a Smith, you'll need to step up to a Performance Center tuned gun. Absolutely no stacking in DA, butter smooth and fast. This Cobra is a joy to shoot in DA.

Colt also redesigned the grip angle from the original Cobra to enhance balance and shoot ability and I think they scored a home run, here. This is one of the best balanced and pointing stubbies I've ever owned, not to mention control on follow up shots is easy. That's NOT something that can be said on some lightweight 38s, by the way. No exposed backstrap on the grip, so shooting even the hottest 38s is nothing. Be warned, once you start shooting one of these, it's hard to put down. Again, that is something you CAN'T say about a lot of 38 snubbies.

Accuracy has been excellent and easily attained, thanks to the trigger, grips and balance. Here's a typical 12 yard target shot with a two hand hold in single action.

I don't buy DA revolvers to shoot them a lot in single action, though. The DA trigger makes or breaks a gun for me. I totally LOVE the DA trigger on this one. Here's two hands, slow fire in DA.
Imagescreenshot tools

Here's one hand hold in DA. This is entirely practical way to shoot the Cobra, thanks to the excellent DA trigger, grips and balance. Not a stunt, at all.

For a holster, the Colt fits in a Blackhawk J frame model, perfectly.

So any complaints? Not really. My Cobra tends to shoot low with light bullet SD loads, but is right on with 158s. No big deal. I can manage any 38s with the right hold over or hold under, now that I know the gun.

If there is a negative for some folks, it will be the price. The Cobra is a Colt, after all. Yes,you can buy a standard Smith Airweight 637 for a LOT less if all you want is a 38 you'll carry a lot and shoot seldom. Won't offer that sixth shot, though ... won't have the superb trigger of the Colt ... won't have the easy to use sights ... won't have the balance and grips ... Me, I buy guns to shoot and shoot a lot. The Colt Cobra is a pure joy to shoot, as good as it gets in a 38 snubbie. This one has been a home run for me.

Imagephoto hosting sites
10 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Cowgirl Corner: new Colt Cobra 38

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:10 pm

As much as I like my all-black Ruger LCRx snubby in .38 special + P, a steel snubby with silver against black is the way to go for a really sharp-looking revolver. On your Colt, I found it interesting that the front sight could be removed with an allen. Never had that on any of my revolvers. But also sounds like a good fixed sight system with that "wide gutter rear" ramp. Your description of shooting in DA reminds me of the S&W Perf Ctr snubby (also a .38 special + P) I had a few years ago. And if your Colt fires half as smooth in DA as that S&W did, you have a gem there. For sure can see how you "have become good friends." :) Your target POIs show how well you two work together, too! Good shooting as usual.

Glad that revolvers will simply not go away and are here to stay, even getting stronger now. Nothing like a wheelgun!
Thanks for keeping the "revolver kick" alive, NCG. I gotta go now to any other thread so I don't get any ideas about another snubby. ;)
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Nice report, Thank You! I am seriously thinking of going back to a revolver as a self defense gun.
1 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Great report. Gun looks great and obviously shoots well.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 am

Beautiful gun and great shooting as always NCG, especially in DA.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks, guys.

Lyman, it's always been my advice as far as a carry gun to carry the type of gun you know and trust the most. Have carried semi-autos and revolvers, both SA and DA. Can objectively list all the pros and cons of each, but, again, carry what you know the best. For me, that is definitely a revolver, since I shoot revolvers on nearly every range trip, whereas I shoot semi-autos only a couple times a year.

There's another reason the revolver is the ideal carry gun for me. My carrying is now exclusively for toothy, four-legged animals that might cause problems for me and our dog on our daily outings in the woods. I very rarely have to carry, but, now and then, neighbors report a problem animal in the area. Bear spray is still my first line of defense, but if and when I must use a gun, I need a minimum of 357 power and I want it in a gun that weighs under 30 ounces. Finding such a gun in a semi-auto is a tough call. Finding that combination in a revolver is easy. My Kimber K6s does, nicely, in that respect. Gives me six shots of heavy 357 bear loads and it does shoot those loads, very well.

So why add the Colt? I much prefer to shoot 357s in my 357 revolvers, not 38s. When I shoot 38s, I much prefer to shoot guns that are chambered only for 38s. Just a personal thing on my part. The Colt actually feels and handles very much like the Kimber, though, so I'm getting good practice shooting a small revolver with the Colt and it's cheap to boot and very little recoil. That, and as I mentioned, shooting the Colt is just plain fun. Take it on most range trips, now.
3 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks for sharing and for keeping the revolver fires burning here! Great looking piece and some awesome results, no question about it. Very nice!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357