Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowgirl Corner: my carry Kimber 357

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Cowgirl Corner: my carry Kimber 357

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 pm

First, I'll be up front. I don't carry a gun for self-defense against bad guys. I'm just not comfortable doing it. Each to their own.

On the other hand, I do carry a 357 for defense against bears, as a backup to bear spray, but only for those few weeks in spring when the bears are first out and hungry or for those occasional bike trips miles back from the roads later during the summer. When I carry, I carry this beauty. It's a Kimber K6s 357 revolver (yes, Kimber makes a revolver) with a 3" barrel. This makes my second K6s. My first was the standard 2" barrel version, but when this 3" barrel version came out, traded for it. Prefer the balance and handling on the 3".

No doubt about it, this is an expensive revolver. Going apples to apples, you'd have to compare it to an all steel S&W J frame 357 Performance Center model, not their standard line. Price points would then be in the same ball park. Having owned several S&W PC J frame 357s and now two of these Kimbers, the comparison goes like this.

The action is smoother on the Kimber, the trigger is better, and most of all, have never had light strike, FTF issues with either Kimber, but I have had light strike issues with several S&W PC models. In addition, all edges on the Kimber have been smoothed. That, along with the DAO, no exposed hammer setup on the Kimber, makes it as snag proof as a revolver can be.

Much prefer the sights on a Kimber. They're far better than the skimpy fixed gutter sights on standard Smiths and they are much less prone to snagging and more durable than the standard adjustable sights on a Smith.

Another thing I like with the Kimber K6s is that it's a 6 shooter, not a 5 shooter that you get with all Smith J frames. Not a big deal, maybe, but it does give me confidence to have an extra shot.

When I carry, I carry the K6s 3" in this excellent ETW holster made, specifically, for this version of the Kimber. Outstanding holster. Drawing the Kimber is fast and effortless.

Okay, all the features in the world aren't worth beans if the gun won't shoot. This is where the Kimber really shines. Both Kimbers I've owned are stunningly accurate for a small frame 357s, weighing in at about 25 ounces and I'm talking 357s, here, not 38s. I've never fed either Kimber anything but 357s. I carry a 357 to shoot 357s, not 38s. Best of all, the Kimber K6s LOVES the 180 grain HSM bear loads. Remember, this is a DAO, but a truly GREAT DAO trigger. No single action shooting with a Kimber.

Just a touch high up close with the 180s.

Closer to POA at 20 yards.

This accuracy took a bit of working with my grip to learn what this little Kimber likes, not to mention handling the 357 recoil, but I've got it down, now, to where even the hottest 357 won't hurt. Recoil is sharp, to be sure, but very manageable with the right grip. Can easily go 50 rounds in a session and want more.

Even with great features and performance, I learned long ago that I won't keep a gun unless it's also something I really enjoy shooting. Has to be a gun I WANT to shoot and keep on shooting. Has to be fun for me. The Kimber has that in spades. Just draw and shoot, reload and keep on shooting, as fast as you want. Just like this. Fun, fun, fun.

One of my favorites, now, bear or no bear. :)
10 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Cowgirl Corner: my carry Kimber 357

Post by GFK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm

Nice firearm and nice shooting!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:19 pm

NCG always worth reading. Thanks
0 x
Pax at Justitia

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks for the great review and targets, NCG. As always, I learn a little more from every post you make.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Damn, I have to wipe the drool off of my keyboard.......Again!
It's a beauty and with the 3 inch barrel still a great size for carry. I need one, But then I "need" pretty much one of every gun you own. You should write for the marketing departments of all of these manufacturers.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:44 pm

thanks for the info .... I didn't know Kimber made a revolver like that .... how would you rate the recoil when firing 357 level ammo :?:
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks, guys. Glad you enjoyed it.

JEBar, it's kind of hard to rate recoil for someone else. I've been shooting magnum handguns for so long, now, that recoil doesn't bother me until it actually inflicts pain. In fact, I don't even notice it unless I do get bitten. :) As I mentioned, recoil with the little Kimber with 357s is sharp and you will need to experiment with your grip to find what is the most comfortable. That factory grip on the 3", though, is much easier on the hand than the bootleg grip on the standard 2" model. Love it.

One thing that I can promise you is that it is a big mistake to use a light grip with any small revolver, not only for the sake of handling recoil, but also for consistent accuracy. I use a solid, firm grip with small revolvers that allows no wiggle in the hand and one with all fingers properly tucked in place. If you grip a small revolver in such a way that it can bounce in your hand with the shot, you will never get it to shoot to its potential and you will definitely get bitten by recoil.
1 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:06 pm

You need to try out a S&W 640 Pro. No internal lock, night sights, fluted barrel. Nice little J-Frame. I did some trigger work on mine and it is a sweet shooter. I've heard some good things about the Kimber but I can't get past the looks of the gun. I prefer a more traditional looking revolver.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:24 pm

North Country Gal wrote:JEBar, it's kind of hard to rate recoil for someone else.
understood .... arthritis and blood thinners have drastically changed my response to the recoil of any type of firearm .... my wife's concealed carry is a small frame Smith .... its a handful with 357's so she fires 38's
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Love that Smith. It's a real classic. Of course, we're both partial to double action revolvers. Just love that draw and shoot, no safety or hammer to mess with.
0 x