Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Two days in a row at the range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Two days in a row at the range

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:36 pm

I had a chance to shoot two days straight this week. I shot three times this week total which is pretty good considering the up and down weather. Took different rifles each day but the 17 HMR went along two of the days. This is a super accurate rifle except it drops a round low when the casing splits. I have tried several different brands and they all drop bullets low when the case splits. I had the same problem when the HMR came out years back and now I know Horndy has not fixed the problem after all this time. The HMR will have a short stay here. The other rifles were all 22 LR and were number 2 Grand Finale we bought and a 510X Remington and one of my Remington 540 target rifles. The Grand Finale has a VariX II 4-12 AO on it and the 540 has a seldom seen Leupold fixed 16 power with the not so tall covered adjustment knobs and a very fine cross hair. The 510X single shots all have grooved receivers. The 510X has a fixed 6X Burris HBR on it and still is a light package to carry squirrel hunting. The trigger is heavy and hard to get much under 3 lb. Accuracy is very good for such a light rifle. Was at the range 4 hrs. yesterday and went through several hundred rounds in the 22's. Had a lot of fun and the weather was good. Today I took another one of our 510X's, a different Grand Finale, Dads mint condition Remington 513T and my wife's 452 Trainer. She came up to the range about an hour later so she could shoot. The 513T shot really well as usual. I have a fixed Leupold 12X on it and I love the old Leupold's in 12 power. Her Trainer is one of her favorites to shoot and right now it has an older Leuplod 2-7 and she does very well with it and I will leave it as is for now. The 510X was not grouping very well. Has been several years since that particular one has been to the range. Has a 3-9 Vari-X II that I set the parallax at 55 yds. It was stringing the shots in a line and I hate that. I loosened the single action screw and the rifle has a trigger shoe on it and I had no small Allen wrench so I had my wife gently lift the barrel up so I could slide the end flap off a CCI 50 round paper box about 2" or so back from the end of the stock. Then I set the torque on the action screw at 25 inch lbs. I put up a new target and there were no more stringing shots and shot very nice rounded groups from a 1/2" to 11/16" with a good lot number of CCI standards. The Grand Finale never saw the light of day this trip when my wife said she was ready to go home. Didn't make me mad as I was tired too. My usual sleep time is 4 hrs. but last night was more like three hrs. So we loaded everything in both Corolla's and headed home to have a late lunch. Take care and have a wonderful weekend. bandit
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Two days in a row at the range

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:15 pm

Good for you, bandit. Hey, I think you have us beat on the humber of 22 rifles you own, but if I get to count my 22 handguns, maybe we're close. :)

Yeah, when I get stringing, I always check bedding and action torque. On some guns it makes all the difference.

Glad you and the wife got out for some shooting, again. Keep it up.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:40 pm

Weather and other commitments have kept me off the range, I had planned to shoot a couple more days this week myself.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:09 pm

Wow that is a lot of fun 22 shootin! I was cutting the grass around the range and then a little fishing. Some shooting next week is the plan.
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 am

CCI ammo has fixed a lot of accuracy issues and now even the box the ammo comes in does too! :lol:
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:56 am

Are you going for 3 days in a row. The Grand Finale is lonely
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:33 am

Sounds like a fun two days. I really like shooting rimfire.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:16 am

Dang you are on a roll, like Al asked. Are we going for three??

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:08 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:16 am

If I can find time and the weather stays nice I would like to go shoot five days in a row and take a different Grand Finale CZ each day. I could take a few GF's each day but I don't care to go to the range and leave my Remington's home. If my wife would take her car and haul some stuff and shoot I could haul the rest of it in my car. Then I would have more than enough room for everything. I have some very accurate older Remington rifles (513T's and 540X and 540 XR's. The Remington's are target rifles and lay on the bags well and are easier to shoot very small targets a little better than the 452 CZ's.
The GF's lay better than our Trainers and Full Stock 452's. We shoot off home made sand bags. No mechanical rests at our place. I don't like them and can't afford one even if I did want to use one. My shooting friends have rests that are $1600+ dollars. They get everything lined up then touch the trigger with a pencil. That is not shooting like the way we grew up and takes some of the fun out of it.

A funny thing happened at the range on one of the days when I was there. That is a story for another post and I need to have a member post a picture for me from my wife's phone. I guess you can meet all kinds of people even at the range.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:23 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:08 pm
Vaquero wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:16 am

If I can find time and the weather stays nice I would like to go shoot five days in a row and take a different Grand Finale CZ each day. I could take a few GF's each day but I don't care to go to the range and leave my Remington's home. If my wife would take her car and haul some stuff and shoot I could haul the rest of it in my car. Then I would have more than enough room for everything. I have some very accurate older Remington rifles (513T's and 540X and 540 XR's. The Remington's are target rifles and lay on the bags well and are easier to shoot very small targets a little better than the 452 CZ's.
The GF's lay better than our Trainers and Full Stock 452's. We shoot off home made sand bags. No mechanical rests at our place. I don't like them and can't afford one even if I did want to use one. My shooting friends have rests that are $1600+ dollars. They get everything lined up then touch the trigger with a pencil. That is not shooting like the way we grew up and takes some of the fun out of it.

A funny thing happened at the range on one of the days when I was there. That is a story for another post and I need to have a member post a picture for me from my wife's phone. I guess you can meet all kinds of people even at the range.
You have my number, text it to me and I'll post it, no problem.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012