Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another day at the range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Another day at the range

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:11 pm

I had another chance to go shoot yesterday. Decent weather with occasional breezes stirring but had breaks now and then. Three rifles this trip. 452 American 22, 452 17 Hummer and the first Grand Finale I had bought. Scopes on all three. The day started bad when arriving at the range and only had the ammo for my 22's and a single box of 17 HMR with only about 18 rounds in the box. This was the 20 gr. HPT Hornady. Started with the 17 at 50 yds and decided on only shooting three shot groups to not run out of ammo so fast. Still had the 6-18 Var-X II on it and it is a great scope with very good clarity of the targets. First target was about the size of the shell head on a 223 round. It hit about 11 o'clock on the inner edge of the circle. I was impressed with the group even if only three shots. They were slightly smaller than 1/4". I thought maybe I will like this rifle and caliber. The next group started out with the first two in the same hole. The third shot dropped down straight below the other two shots a 1/2" low. It sounded different so I ejected the empty into my hand to take a look at it. Sure enough the same old problem I had when I had the other CZ 452 and the FS 452 both in 17 HMR. Casing was split from the shoulder/neck junction about half way down. So I shot two more groups of three. The first three shot group was slightly over 3/8" and had a nice triangle shape. The next three shots at another target dropped the second shot about the same amount as before and the third round was almost touching the first. So I shot a fourth shot at that target and it went in with the first and third shot shot. On that target the dropped shot had the casing split about the same amount as the first one. It may have a very short stay at my place if another brand or a different box does this.
The 22's both shot great as usual. The only problem was the Grand Finale doesn't like a lot of different ammo brands fired in it without cleaning or firing quite a few shots to season the bore with the different lube. The groups started growing in size but I had fired seven different brands of ammo in it. So I went to my car and got my two cleaning rods and gear from the trunk of my car. Gave it a reasonable cleaning but probably not my usual when cleaning being done at home. Fired 4 rounds that were left in a box of RWS Target rifle and then shot some groups with that same lot # of that ammo. Fired some 10-12 shot groups and this rifle hardly ever fails to amaze me how a factory sporter barrel rifle can shoot this well using below mid-grade ammo. I wish I could have afforded a whole skid of RWS Target Rifle ammo when I could get it for $220 a case delivered. The 452 American shoots about as well as my wife and my Grand Finale's but doesn't lay on sand bags as well being a little lighter in weight. I would probably sell one of our Grand Finale's before I would sell the American. It has been that good for me. Shoot often and take care. bandit
1 x