Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.44 Magnum X-Model

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

.44 Magnum X-Model

Post by 5shot » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:04 pm

A local store had a 10% off sale for Rewards members and that made the purchase of the .44 Mag just a little too irresistible. The action is very smooth and the trigger has absolutely zero creep. I tried the display model and wasn't happy with the trigger pull but clerk said he had another in the back. Bingo! I ran 40 rounds through it using handloads of both magnums and specials. XTP's, of course, functioned like butter but some of the 250 to 260 gr. cast bullets in the SWC Keith style were too long to cycle smoothly. No surprise there. The same bullets functioned perfectly when used in .44 special brass. I had some warmer specials loaded for a Smith Model 624 that I used for woods carry while crossbow deer hunting. These were 250 gr. SWC's approaching 1100 fps in a 6" revolver so I'm guessing 1400 out of the X. No deer is going to laugh that off. :lol:

All in all, I'm glad I bought it. :D The recoil is mild even with full power loads and with light cast loads in .44 special recoil is at the powder puff level. This rifle just feels good to me and is fun to shoot. With full power loads it's a lot of horsepower in a compact and handy little package. The X is box stock now but will soon have a Ranger Point lever screw and Picatinny rail. Will probably mount an Ultradot II 2min reddot on it and maybe get a Sreamlight TLR1 for the front rail. That way it can be a deer rifle by day and a camp gun at night. Yah, I like it! :D

And we all know ...picture or it didn't happen..
X model.jpg
X model.jpg (98.14 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
4 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: .44 Magnum X-Model

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:17 am

Congrats there 5Shot. Im not personally a fan of the x models but they have sold alot of them. I can see where they might have there place just dont care for the tactical look on leverguns.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:19 pm

5shot, congratulations on your new rifle. I hope to see a deer next to it this year in the big game section here.
I recently took out my BigBoy .44 magnum. I found the rear Buckhorn site was not staying put, but I shot 15 to 20 magnum rounds anyways as it was too much fun. Resetting the site was a pain, but I had fun shooting it.

Your handloads for the 624 sound interesting.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:24 pm

I have the 45 Colt version and it is a nice shooting rifle with a good slick running action. First thing I did was to get the factory wood stock kit for it
'and for me I like it. My favorite rifle with the suppressor attached!

Hope you enjoy yours too!
2 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:28 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:17 am
Congrats there 5Shot. Im not personally a fan of the x models but they have sold alot of them. I can see where they might have there place just dont care for the tactical look on leverguns.
I agree on the looks and that's the reason I've avoided getting one until now. The utility of this thing along with the discount price (just over eight bills) kinda prettied it up a bit for me. :lol: The only "tacticool" accessories it's going to get are the lever screw, a picatinny for the reddot and maybe a searchlight. :lol:
daytime dave wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:19 pm
Your handloads for the 624 sound interesting.
Dave. Those .44 special loads contain a healthy dose of 2400 under the 250 Keith SWC's but they are still a couple grains short of the loads ol' Saint Elmer was using.
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:08 pm

Here she is with the only things I'm going to attach to it. A hunter by day and a defender by night! Ranger Point lever screw and Rhino base. Ultradot Gen 2 30mm with a 2 min dot mounted in low Warne rings. The Streamlight TLR 1-HL sure lights up the backyard and takes just a few seconds to mount or dismount. I really don't think a game warden would be impressed with the light being attached during deer season.... :lol:
.44 X.jpg
.44 X.jpg (82.04 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:32 pm

Always love a 44 mag, either in a rifle or a pistol. Congrats and enjoy.
0 x