Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Getting a few good days

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Getting a few good days

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Our weather has been up and down this winter. It has been a very mild winter with quite a few good days to shoot so my friend and I have been taking advantage of the good ones. We have made a few trips with temps mid day in the upper 50's to the mid 60's. 22 Rifles seem to do better if above 50*. We have made several visits to the range and no one was there and each of had three to five rifles and we shot targets and then the KYL spinner for 5-6 hrs with no one else showing up. Each one of us have been on average shooting 7-10 boxes of ammo each trip. We have been working with some new rifles he bought. Tuning triggers and trying different action screw torque. Amazing how much action screw torque will make or break accuracy on a rifle.
My friend showed up with some high priced Eley ammo one day he said he wanted to shoot up. He said his gun that he shoots in the matches only likes one speed that I believe was marked 1062. He had ammo from 1055 FPS up to 1069. His gun shot very well with the 1062 and good with some of the other but no match accuracy that he needs to win. Funny thing was my Grand Finale CZ, my Lux and Ultra Lux shot all the different speeds except one or two very well. Problem with that ammo is it costs $1500+/case with his discount from his dealer. Way out of my price range. My Grand Finale between all the rifles actually shot the smallest 5 shot group of the day with old Wolf ammo measuring .131" CTC. That ammo is $60/brick. I need to get my camera working to take some pictures of my targets I cut from targets we share when shooting. Hope it is a battery issue and not my camera. Post some pictures when I can.
2 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Getting a few good days

Post by Grunt67 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Weather here has been like that, up & down like a yo-yo. 70 one day 20 the next, and rain, rain, rain. Lousy shooting weather.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Getting a few good days

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Our weather hasn't been up and down as far as temps, but it has been warmer than average, overall, with fewer and shorter sub zero spells. The snow, however, came early and deep and that's made getting out to shoot a problem. Have a lot of catching up to do when the snow melts, this spring.

Love to see some of those groups, bandit.
0 x