Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Mostly revolvers

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Mostly revolvers

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 am

The reason I gout of competitive shooting, silhouette and bullseye, was that the only person I care to compete against is me. :) I tended to spend more time helping the competition when they had problems or getting to know them than I did trying to beat them. Just not the competitive type, I guess. More the cooperative type.

I agree, though, about shooting sports "evolving" to the point of losing the very reason for them getting started. In the case of silhouette declining in popularity, it's also been a matter of practicality and economy. Takes a large shooting club and range to host a silhouette match and it takes a lot of labor, too, what with each competitor shooting 40 targets and the need for a crew to get the silhouettes rest, not to mention the wear and tear on all those silhouettes.

By contrast, our local club makes good money by hosting action shooting matches. Draws good crowds, can be done on any of our ranges and is easy to setup and takedown. Even made enough money to build our own little cowboy town for cowboy shooting matches.

Not for me, though. I shoot to relax, now, and just for the love of shooting.
Last edited by North Country Gal on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:44 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 am
The reason I gout of competitive shooting, silhouette and bullseye, was that the only person I care to compete against is me. :) I tended to spend more time helping the competition when they had problems or getting to know them than I did trying to beat them. Just not the competitive type, I guess. More the cooperative type.

I agree, though, about shooting sports "evolving" to the point of losing the very reason for them getting started. In the case of silhouette dealing in popularity, it's also been a matter of practicality and economy. Takes a large shooting club and range to host a silhouette match and it takes a lot of labor, too, what with each competitor shooting 40 targets and the need for a crew to get the silhouettes rest, not to mention the wear and tear on all those silhouettes.

By contrast, our local club makes good money by hosting action shooting matches. Draws good crowds, can be done on any of our ranges and is easy to setup and takedown. Even made enough money to build our own little cowboy town for cowboy shooting matches.

Not for me, though. I shoot to relax, now, and just for the love of shooting.
WOW! Reading a lot of what you print makes me feel like I'm talking to myself. When things go awry the wife's response is often "why don't you go shoot a while and calm down."
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:59 pm

A hearty "yes" to both NCG and Old Syko!

From some of the Range Reports I've posted, can you imagine me with a revolver in competition with either NCG, Bandit, RR, Sir Henry, or easily others on our forum? If I tried that, it would be enough of an uphill challenge where it might be best to just bury my bullets....and ride into the sunset.

Yup, I agree. Competing with the gent I see in the mirror is the best way to go! :)
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:09 pm

PT, you're welcome to shoot with me, anytime. I promise that we'd both have fun and, after all, that's the whole point.
4 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:50 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:09 pm
PT, you're welcome to shoot with me, anytime. I promise that we'd both have fun and, after all, that's the whole point.
NCG, thanks much for the invite. It would definitely be cool 8-) to meet you, and do some off hand shooting. :D

It's not beyond the realm of possibility. I'd like to get back up to WI sometime since I've family there. I've forgotten your home city? My sister lives in Kenosha (south), and my brother-in-law is in Appleton (central). I also have several friends who live in northern IL. So shall see down-the-road.
0 x

~Пока~

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:34 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 am
The reason I gout of competitive shooting, was that the only person I care to compete against is me. :) I tended to spend more time helping the competition when they had problems or getting to know them than I did trying to beat them. Just not the competitive type, I guess. More the cooperative type.
I know this feeling. I was invited into local level PPC by the match director, one of the department's patrol sergeants, former range master, and Nam era Marine. I went. He gave me the basics, and when I was approached by fellow shooters I would discreetly look his way and he would touch his hearing protectors as a signal to let me know if I should be polite, or I should "listen closely" to what they had to share. :D

This sharing attitude continued when I moved up to state level competition, and it went both ways. I was now also mentoring the new shooters as well. My hope was, that if they glanced toward the tower for advice, Lou was touching a finger to his hearing protection. :o

After nearly a decade of shooting at the two levels, I decided it was time to quit competing myself. It was sad when the bulk of the new pups coming in were selfish and self centered, more worried about every point, and rude to those around them. It was no longer fun to compete, no longer as much a social event as a shooting event. (This was never a money match.) I wasn't going to spend twelve hours three or four days a month, nine months out of the year, plus practice days... attending matches, If I no longer enjoyed it. I could shoot at home.

:D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:43 am

Must have been a lot that felt that way. A large number of veteran shooters stopped competing within a year or two of my departure.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:04 am

Marine, I do understand and have felt this myself. I think it's natural in any kind of competition to become obsessed with results and get a bit carried away. Have seen it in all kinds of sports. For me, it just got too intense to be comfortable and, after all, I shoot to relax and enjoy the shooting, itself. The stress of competition just soured me on it. Takes all kinds to make a world, of course, and I do know folks that enjoy the added stress of competition. For them, it adds to their shooting. I get that. Just doesn't work for me.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

Let me add another point about why my hubby and I both love revolver shooting or any kind of handgun shooting, for that matter, but especially revolvers. We love the convenience of it all. Less to pack and carry to the car and the range, not only in terms of the guns, but also accessories. No fancy (and heavy) shooting bags and rests, no need for a good spotting scope at the ranges we shoot handguns (out to 50 yards, binoculars do just fine), no long hikes out to 100 yards and beyond to post targets. In short, less to mess with and more time for shooting.

As to the revolvers, they're the perfect balance of accuracy and fun. Our single shots are more accurate and autos have some shooting advantages, too, but revolvers are plenty accurate and get you repeat shots without the need to mess with magazines and loading them. For me, working the action on a good revolver is something akin to working the action on a good lever gun or even a bolt gun and, certainly, a classic falling block single shot rifle. And, of course, it doesn't get any more traditional in handguns than shooting a revolver. After all, folks were shooting revolvers before brass cartridges were even invented. Did I mention that revolvers really are works of art?

4 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:49 pm

I really need to be mindful to keep my post brief to these comments (the highlights for me). Not easy for a talker...

Simply :arrow: YES.
North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am
~~~ why my hubby and I both love revolver shooting; but especially revolvers. We love the convenience of it all....less to mess with and more time for shooting.

As to the revolvers, they're the perfect balance of accuracy and fun...it doesn't get any more traditional in handguns than shooting a revolver. Did I mention that revolvers really are works of art?
0 x

~Пока~