Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New old member from Spokane WA, just got a Big Boy X .44 Mag

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: New old member from Spokane WA, just got a Big Boy X .44 Mag

Post by If1Hitu » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:18 pm

Greeting from Kentucky,and congrats on your .44 Mag X model.
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:00 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:11 pm
It will be my campground bear defense rifle, one I can also take camping up into Canada, which is only 90 minutes away.
Congrats on the new bear gun. I’m curious how you plan to bring it up here for “camping”? Do you have dual citizenship? Also worth noting is that you better not shoot any grizzlies with it, as that is now illegal in BC.

I was almost born in Spokey, but my dad lead-footed it back to Rossland when my moms water broke in Spokane. I must admit, I wish he’d not have been in such a rush. Dual citizenship would be awesome!
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Redthies wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:00 pm

Congrats on the new bear gun. I’m curious how you plan to bring it up here for “camping”? Do you have dual citizenship? Also worth noting is that you better not shoot any grizzlies with it, as that is now illegal in BC.
??? It is perfectly legal for a US citizen to bring in a Non Restricted firearm like this for 60 days, I just do the paperwork and pay the $25 cash fine, er fee, when entering. I know I can’t carry it close at hand in parks and such, but for primitive RV camping in the back country it is fine. I do not plan to shoot anything. But if a carnivore tries to rip open my trailer with me in it, it will get used. It will normally travel in the trailer, locked up and separated from the ammo.

“Generally speaking, you may bring up to three allowed guns across the border if you fill out a form and pay a fee in Canadian dollars. When you arrive at the border you will declare your firearm, provide the required documents as listed below, and answer all questions truthfully. The border services officer must be satisfied that you have a valid reason for importing the firearm, and may check to ensure that you have stored your firearm properly for transportation. They will review your paperwork and may verify that the firearm you have with you matches the one described in the documents.”

https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-i ... to-canada/

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:37 pm

That’s all good, but as someone who crosses the border 4-6 times per week, I can assure you the challenge will be the “The border services officer must be satisfied that you have a valid reason for importing the firearm” part. It’s up to the individual officer, and what kind of day they are having.

You telling them “I’m going camping and don’t want to worry about wildlife” will 99% likely get you turned around. If you are going to hunt, and have an itinerary etc to back that up, then that’s a different story.

It’s also perfectly legal for me as a Canadian to bring a gun into the US if I have a valid reason, but it’s up the the CBP officer to decide if my version of valid meets HIS version of valid.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m fine with you bringing it up here, I just see people getting into big hassles taking guns across going in both directions, and thought I’d offer my experience up for others to see.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:37 pm

Well, thanks for your first hand comments, I do appreciate the info. Do you think that if I were headed all the way to Alaska, with remote camping planned in the Yukon and NWT, the border officer would be any more willing? That is the plan for summer after next. Also, I plan to cross at one of the more remote crossings in Eastern WA, not Peace Arch on I-5... !

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:43 am

I’ve found the smaller crossings are actually MORE likely to investigate things as they see very little traffic. If you are transiting to Alaska, then long guns (aside from semi autos) should be fine. Hand guns are a definite no go, even if you are “just passing through”. I’ve seen people heading up there with all their belongings try to hide pistols and wind up in handcuffs. If you arrive at the border with the proper paperwork, the ammunition stored separately (I’d put it in a locked box) and with a locked hard case for your Henry, you will be fine. Technically you’re not supposed to have a loaded firearm sitting around the campfire with you either, but most of us have done that. You’ve got lots of time, so just google the regulations for transport and storage in Canada (rules are national here, so BC, Yukon and NWT are all the same). There will be lots of info. If you feel like a drive, go up and ask at the border. I’ve found the CBP and Canada Customs guys are usually fine with chatting about guns, and the legality of crossing with them. I’ve had more than one crossing take longer than it should when I’ve been bringing gun parts across as often the guards are shooters too, and start BSing.
1 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:02 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:37 pm
Well, thanks for your first hand comments, I do appreciate the info.
Hi John, one thing I forgot to mention before, that may be moot with our borders now closed to “non-essential” travel, but if you do come north, the bright ideas department at Canada Customs has decided that folding knives are suddenly a danger to them. ANY folding knife that can be opened with one hand (not necessarily “assisted” opening, even just ones with a thumb stud) are now illegal AT the border. They ARE NOT ILLEGAL in Canada, but ARE ILLEGAL at the crossing. Go figure that one out?? So you can have a Swiss Army style knife that folds open with the fingernail slit in the blade, but not anything with a thumb stud, or that can be opened with one hand. So now if I were crossing, I carry a much “deadlier” fixed blade sheath knife. I don’t even need to open that one, yet it’s legal to cross with (if it is a 5” or shorter blade). At home, I’m legal to carry my Ken Onion Kershaw Speedsafe knives.
0 x