Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New to Henry

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
JimJ
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New to Henry

Post by JimJ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Hello Everyone. I'm new to Henry but not new to shooting. As a kid of around 10 years I spent my weekends with my Grandparents who lived in the country and went plinking with the kid next door every Saturday. I was allowed to use any 22 from the gun case: an old Winchester pump, a Rolling Block and my favorite-a single shot Mossberg. As it was a small horse farm they had a trash pile at the end of the property and we would line up all the glass jars and cans for target practice. In my teen age years I occasionally shot the Mossberg single shot and maintained my target shooting pleasure. After graduation and a little college time I was drafted and shipped off to Viet Nam. I had been sent to Helicopter Maintenance School at Ft. Rucker and was lucky enough to be assigned to the 116th Assault Helicopter Co. After a short time I volunteered become a Crew Chief/ Door Gunner. My new rifles were the M14, M16 and M60. On an active day I would probably fire more rounds than I had ever fired in my whole life. Back home in 1968 I rejoined civilian life and stopped target shooting. Got the bug again after retirement and picked up a 10/22 and a few other rifles. Age had not been kind to my fingers and loading mags became painful. Loaders were purchased for most and that helped a lot. The 10/22 had been traded for a Ruger American 22 and it just stayed in storage until recently Ruger introduced a mag loader. As I'm a range shooter and with my past experience I can go through a lot of ammo in an hour. 9mm and 223/556 ammo isn't cheap and so I concentrated on the 22. I needed another 22 target rifle so I began scouring the web for ideas and began to notice several rifles with the mag tube (like the ancient Winchester I'd used as a kid). The range near me has several guns for rent so I rented a Henry Small Game Carbine for an hour. That's all it took! The next day I ordered a Henry Small Game Rifle. The front sight was too low and Henry Customer Service sent a replacement. What a great rifle. I will continue to use the Skinner Peep Sight but will order another Henry H001L to become a scope/red dot shooter. So that's how I got here. Took a while but worth it. When my 9mm and 223/556 ammo is gone I'll part with those rifles too.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New to Henry

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:02 pm

welcome indeed, delighted to have you join our forum .... do hope you will take and active part .... feel free to jump into ongoing conversations; as well as, to start more of your own .... be sure to follow the link below to where you can add your Henry to our community's total ... down the road as you add more of them please come back and add them as well

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 05#p113705
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT, Jim. This is a great group of folks and you'll enjoy the company. Glad you joined us... and congratulations on your new Henry SGC!!
JimJ wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:42 pm
Hello Everyone. I'm new to Henry but not new to shooting.... I rented a Henry Small Game Carbine for an hour. That's all it took! The next day I ordered a Henry Small Game Rifle. The front sight was too low and Henry Customer Service sent a replacement. What a great rifle. I will continue to use the Skinner Peep Sight but will order another Henry H001L to become a scope/red dot shooter. So that's how I got here. Took a while but worth it.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:34 pm

Welcome to the Henry forum. Friendly site with a lot of good information and good people. I have a Small Game Carbine and really like the skinner sight. Put a smaller size peep on it and was pleased with the accuracy at 50 yards and was pretty good at 100 yards just shooting at clay targets. Also have a Hoo1L with a scope on it my father gave me but I have not shot it yet. Enjoy your SGC.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:57 pm

Welcome to the forum from the TV, Oregon! Congrats on your Henry purchase. Delighted to read you like it!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JimJ
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by JimJ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:09 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Easy for me to load without finger pain is the best reason for the Henry and another thing is that since I load the mag tube one round at a time it slows me down! Loaders are available but I'm happy with it as is.
2 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Welcome from the Land of Sugar! Thanks for your service as well.
0 x

JimJ
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by JimJ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:36 pm

Thank you
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Ditto to Jake. Welcome from Nebraska. I like your choice of rifle. Good luck, and keep us posted.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:34 pm

Hello & Welcome from central W. TN.
Congrats on the SGC.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum