Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New guy from Round Rock Texas

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
happystory
Tenderfoot

New guy from Round Rock Texas

Post by happystory » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:48 am

Hello fellow gun folk. I am 69 years old and retired from the Austin Texas Police Department and the Texas Department of Public Safety. I was not a commissioned Police Officer, but rather served in the Crime Lab in both organizations. I was a Ballistics Expert/Forensic Scientist/Crime Scene Investigator (CSI) for 44 years. My work was mostly in the laboratory where I dealt with guns (mostly hand guns) and bloody bullets. I developed a deep love for anything "firearm" and spend my free time split between guns and fishing. I took a part time job as a "Greeter" at our new Bass Pro Shops to help fund my hobbies.
I am an Eagle Scout and a 32nd degree Mason. I am a S&W police armorer for revolvers and pistols, and a Glock, H&K, Colt, and Ruger Police armorer. I did not perform gunsmith functions but used the armorer schools to help testify in court. I testified about the safeties, functions, and operability of submitted firearms as I testified as to whether or not a submitted bullet/s or cartridge cases were fired from/in a particular firearm.
1 x
Eagle Scout 1965, U.S. Navy (1967-1971) Submarine Service - USS Salmon and USS Caiman, Law Enforcement (1971-2014), Master Mason, NRA, Texas State Rifle Association (TSRA), Life member Austin Rifle Club.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: New guy from Round Rock Texas

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:53 am

Welcome to the forum. I bet you will be able to add a lot of knowledge about ballistics.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

happystory
Tenderfoot

Post by happystory » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks Sir Henry! I have been "lurking" on the rimfire central forum and appreciate all information I receive. I have recently become acquainted with Henry rifles and am now the proud owner of a Frontier model (long barrel). In my job I did not shoot for accuracy so this whole world is a new and exciting one for me.
0 x
Eagle Scout 1965, U.S. Navy (1967-1971) Submarine Service - USS Salmon and USS Caiman, Law Enforcement (1971-2014), Master Mason, NRA, Texas State Rifle Association (TSRA), Life member Austin Rifle Club.

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Welcome from Pennsylvania, glad you are here!
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

happystory
Tenderfoot

Post by happystory » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:32 pm

Thanks Deadwood Dutch. I have "found" small bore sillouette shooting and am working toward that discipline. I bought a Frontier model in .22 lr and added a Williams peep sight. When installing a Lyman front sight I took too much metal off of the dovetail on the sight and am now waiting for delivery of the new front site! I wonder if I am the only one to have done this "boo boo"?
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:54 pm

Welcome!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

RoadBlocker
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by RoadBlocker » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:45 pm

I made those opposite mistake with a Marbles peep sight that replaces the buckhorn. It looked to be a tap into the dovetail fit. After pounding & bending my brass punch, I noticed a little bulging around the dovetail. So I figured that was enough damage. It looked centered on the barrel, so we some target shooting on a rest to see if would group. It was pretty consistent with buckhorn sights, but now with the peep it is spot on. And that's with a 14 year old shooter with Dad standing over him, encouraging to squeeze the trigger, not jerk. But when all you want to do is ping a golf ball down range and keep it moving, slowly squeezing for accuracy is not foremost on your mind.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:41 pm

Welcome aboard, Thank you for your service to country and your community.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Welcome, happystory. You chose a cool forum name and have had what sounds like a very interesting work life. I look forward to your posts.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

happystory
Tenderfoot

Post by happystory » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Thanks Retired Seabee and CT Shooter! Thanks to all of our participant's "service to country" Retired Seabee. CT I have lived a very interesting life altogether and shooting has been a large part of it for many years.
As I greet people at Bass Pro Shops I thank them for their military service. A lot of guys wear ball caps or shirts that acknowledge their military service and I make it a point to thank them.
0 x