Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I did it, Finally bought a Henry

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
Monster
Tenderfoot
United States of America

I did it, Finally bought a Henry

Post by Monster » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:00 pm

Today, I was at a local gun store and I just happened to remember I've been wanting to look at and hold a Henry Big Boy Steel in .44mag. (not easy to find on the shelf around here) so I asked and they had one, but not no more, it is now in my gun safe.

I can't wait to take it out to the range which may be a while with the crazy weather in Michigan.

I can't explain it but for some reason, I have this passion toward level action carbines. I've avoided Henrys in the past because they didn't have a loading gate. For some reason that wasn't that important when I made the purchase decision today.

Bob
10 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: I did it, Finally bought a Henry

Post by Mistered » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:12 pm

Welcome from Wickiup Junction, Oregon!
I can't explain it but for some reason, I have this passion toward level action carbines.
I can't explain it either - I only have five! (only one a Henry)

With regard to levers ya either like 'em or ya don't. No real 'in between' with them.

I think part of it is the nostalgia, the handling, the feel of a lever action. It becomes a 'passionate' thing.
3 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Welcome to the site. Always liked lever guns. My first BB gun was a lever action Crossman CO2 rifle in the early 60s (which I still have) and I have owned Marlin, Winchester, and Henry levers since then. They feel very comfortable and natural to me.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 pm

welcome indeed .... delighted to have you join our forum .... feel free to read and post often .... our BBS 44 Mag was our first Henry and has proven to be on heck of a rifle .... when we travel, its always packed .... please take a look at the link below and add yours to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 97#p112997
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Hello and welcome, from Western Tenn.
Always been a lever action gun guy.
I think 18 at last count. :o :shock: :lol:
20190607_081450.jpg
RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vaquero on Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Monster wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:00 pm
Today, I was at a local gun store and I just happened to remember I've been wanting to look at and hold a Henry Big Boy Steel in .44mag. (not easy to find on the shelf around here) so I asked and they had one, but not no more, it is now in my gun safe.

I can't wait to take it out to the range which may be a while with the crazy weather in Michigan.

I can't explain it but for some reason, I have this passion toward level action carbines. I've avoided Henrys in the past because they didn't have a loading gate. For some reason that wasn't that important when I made the purchase decision today.

Bob
Good Job Monster ! ! !

The love for the lever action is different for each of us. For some it is nostalgic, for others getting in touch with the past. For me it was family heritage.

My grandfather (King) was a horse and buggy doctor in Elmendorf Texas at the turn of the Century. He bought my Grandmother (half Texan, half Apache) a Winchester 1894 in .32 Winchester Special. That was around 1910.

King would go to the cotton gin each payday, and as the paymaster handed out wages the workers would go down the table paying the grocer, farrier, and eventually the Doc. One gentleman who had the reputation of being a town drunk and bully, that King had doctored several times on credit made his way down the table. King took the remaining cash that he had for bills past due. The man blew up and started yelling and stormed away.

That night, he showed up drunk to Kings place. King has a small house with a tie rail, and a separate small structure that was his clinic across the yard. The drunken bully pounded on the front door. Vivian answered to see the man standing in front of her holding a 16 inch pig sticker. "Wheres the Doc?" he yelled at her. Vivian (who was 5'2") pointed across the yard and said "Hes in the Clinic"
The man blurted out "I'm going to kill he Doc". Vivian replied "OK"

The man stormed across the yard, Vivian reached behind the door, cycled a round into her 1894 and fired one shot hittinghe man in the leg. King came out to find him reeling in pain. King kicked the knife away, patched him up, and told him "See you on payday!"

Ahhh yes, family history. I proudly have that same 1894 in my safe and bring it out often. God Bless the Lever Actions and those who hold them

I would stick and image here, but I am not that tech savvy.
Slide1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by runnin n gunnin on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Welcome from the TV, Oregon!
Love your family heritage story!
Pictures can be added by clicking the Full Editor & Preview, then the attachment tab near the bottom of the page. Add Files, select pictures you want. Remember to click 'place in line' for each. They'll post in the order in which you click 'place in line.'
runnin n gunnin wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:00 pm
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT, Bob. You're going to find all of us love lever action rifles, too. Glad you joined us and congratulations on your new Henry.
Monster wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:00 pm
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:19 pm

Congratulations!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:43 pm

Nice Job Monster and welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us. We are sidegate friendly here but were are also tube feed friendly. Only those die hard Marlin guys are sidegate only people.

Hey Vaquero. Whats up with those brass levers in the rack man. I thought you didnt like shinny
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55