Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New From Virginia

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
Cooper
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New From Virginia

Post by Cooper » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:55 am

I am in my 60's and live in Virginia. I bought the Henry single shot .45-70 to hunt deer. This is my first Henry. I will be putting a scope on soon. I believe this will be a great deer rifle with a wide assortment of bullets to choose from. In the past I have hunted deer with .30-06 be have noticed better knock down when hitting the deer with the .45 coming out of a muzzle loader, so now I want to use about the same bullet during firearm season. With just the iron sights I get respectable groupings.

BTW, this rifle is nice and light, simple to operate, a breeze to clean and looks great.

--Cooper
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: New From Virginia

Post by PT7 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:32 am

I don't have a .45-70, but I've shot my SIL's Henry. Indeed, his CCH rifle is a beautiful piece of workmanship, and a strong hunting rifle. I posted some photos of it when I was visiting him a couple of years ago just after he bought it.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2787

He will be using it again this coming deer season, sans the scope. He had kept the original buckhorns on, likes their looks, and he does shoot well with them, too.

Your post was also interesting when you noted you've hunt with a .45 muzzle loader, and that it has "better knock down when hitting the deer." I recently got into BP shooting. I don't have a rifle; shoot a Trapper 50CAL percussion pistol. Other than the distance variable from a rifle, I've read that a deer hunt is a "can-do" with such a BP pistol configuration. Also have watched one really cool pistol deer hunt on youtube. As I'm just new to muzzleloaders, it's been a lot of fun learning about them.

Do you have a hunt planned this coming season with your .45-70? If so, best wishes for a successful harvest! :)
Again, welcome to the Henry Forum.
PT7

Cooper wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:55 am
I am in my 60's and live in Virginia. I bought the Henry single shot .45-70 to hunt deer. This is my first Henry. I will be putting a scope on soon. I believe this will be a great deer rifle with a wide assortment of bullets to choose from. In the past I have hunted deer with .30-06 be have noticed better knock down when hitting the deer with the .45 coming out of a muzzle loader, so now I want to use about the same bullet during firearm season. With just the iron sights I get respectable groupings.

BTW, this rifle is nice and light, simple to operate, a breeze to clean and looks great.

--Cooper
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:32 am

welcome indeed .... delighted to have you join our forum .... looking forward to your reports on your SS 45-70 .... I'm particularly interested in your assessment of its recoil .... do hope you will feel free to read and post often .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 56#p108356
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:39 am

Welcome from Western North Carolina Cooper!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:49 am

Welcome to the family, from Central VA. Jump right in and start posting, and make sure to add some pics now and then... We like pictures. Who doesn't? Like a family, we might pick on you, but its it's never mean spirited. All in good fun. Read thru the threads, you will see what I mean. Look forward to seeing your posts.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:08 pm

Welcome from the TV, Oregon!
Cooper wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:55 am
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:47 pm

Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:17 am

Welcome aboard.
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:14 pm

Welcome to the forum!
0 x