Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry rifle deer hunter needs help with 44M BB

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
PATOKARI
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry rifle deer hunter needs help with 44M BB

Post by PATOKARI » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi everybody, I just joined your forum and I own 2 Henrys.... 44mag big boy steel & 3030. I found your forum by accident while searching for a fix for my 44M BB. I just received and installed the large loop lever for it. At times (very sporatic) the lever catches and I have to basically double pump it. I noticed that it seems to catch on that slot that is on the lever handle. It catches on the silver colored steel piece that it is made to lock into. Sorry I don't know the proper part names. Has anyone had this problem and is it OK to just file away a little metal on that edge? I know that the Henry team would fix it but I can't part with it at this time and if necessary I would wait until after hunting season. Any help would be much appreciated!
0 x
HENRY! Hold it - Point it - Shoot It ; YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE ONE FROM THERE ON!
BBS-44M, BBS-357M, SLA-3030

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Henry rifle deer hunter needs help with 44M BB

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:38 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT. I hope you get the answers you need from our other members who have installed the large loop lever, too. I wonder, though, did this happen with the standard lever, as well. If not, it might just be solved by getting the large loop replaced. I'm sure Henry would not hesitate to provide a replacement. Please keep us posted. And, I'm glad you joined the forum. We have lots of knowledgeable and helpful members. You'll like it here.
PATOKARI wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:21 pm
Hi everybody, I just joined your forum and I own 2 Henrys.... 44mag big boy steel & 3030. I found your forum by accident while searching for a fix for my 44M BB. I just received and installed the large loop lever for it. At times (very sporatic) the lever catches and I have to basically double pump it. I noticed that it seems to catch on that slot that is on the lever handle. It catches on the silver colored steel piece that it is made to lock into. Sorry I don't know the proper part names. Has anyone had this problem and is it OK to just file away a little metal on that edge? I know that the Henry team would fix it but I can't part with it at this time and if necessary I would wait until after hunting season. Any help would be much appreciated!
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Big Boy Steel Problem with Large Loop lever?

Post by Vaquero » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:22 pm

I changed out the levers on my 41BBS, and never had an issue.
Try putting the originally back on and see if it still has the problem.
While you have them out, maybe lay them side beside, possibly the LL has a burr or a spot that needs a little polishing.
Hope you get it worked out.

And a pic of it and that deer when you score.

PS. Welcome to the forum.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:47 pm

Try a little grease on the end of the lever also. Never had an issue. Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:50 pm

first welcome to our forum, delighted to have you join us .... we have three Henry rifles with large loops, all work as designed .... both answers above offer sound advice .... specially to reinstall the original and test to see if the problem goes away .... if all else fails, a call to Henry may be in order .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 35#p108135
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:59 pm

I agree with Vaquero. They are easy enough to remove, so I would do just that to compare them side by side. Maybe even lay a straight edge down the length of them.
I put the large loop on my BBS 357 and had no issues. Just as smooth as the original. I think spending a little time examining them together, you will be able to identify the problem.
I understand you not wanting to let go of it as hunting season approaches, totally.
BTW, welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina. Enjoy the forum. A lot of great people here.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:13 pm

It's your forum now too. Welcome from the TV, Oregon!
PATOKARI wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:21 pm
Hi everybody, I just joined your forum and I own 2 Henrys....
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:54 pm

0HRF.jpg
Also will look forward to your deer hunt story and pics. Great to have a new Henry as the season starts.
Good hunting!
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:34 pm

Welcome from the Land of Sugar! Hope you get the kinks worked out.
0 x

PATOKARI
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by PATOKARI » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:08 pm

Well I would never have believed this but I removed the new loop lever and put the original standard lever back on my gun and it worked real well! So When I was comparing them really close this time I did notice that the distance from the back of the slot to its edge was longer on the new lever loop. Man that was not noticeable until you really look them over! So a little filing then a stone and it is very smooth! No more catching! I want to thank all of you for inspiring me to compare them again. PROBLEM SOLVED!
I also received my "Hellhound" mail order over lunch today.... Quality leather on a quality rifle...it is the leather handle wrap which I installed on the loop lever after I fixed the catching issue...Ain't she pretty now? haha I'm searching for a leather ADJUSTABLE SLIDE BUCKLE sling to match and maybe some other leather for it. Anybody have any ideas and sources of leather for rifles?

Again THANKS for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
HENRY! Hold it - Point it - Shoot It ; YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE ONE FROM THERE ON!
BBS-44M, BBS-357M, SLA-3030